EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Ideas for a Honda Helix (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ideas-honda-helix-6797.html)

McCool 01-17-2009 06:46 PM

Ideas for a Honda Helix

I've got a 93 Honda Helix that's in pretty rough shape. I've been thinking about pulling all the plastic off to see what's underneath and what I'd have to work with if I went with something other than gas. From what I've heard, even if the CV was in good shape, I wouldn't want to hook up an electric motor to it due to the inefficiency of CVs. I think the original 250cc 4 stroke puts out about 17hp and this bike will hit 70 mph on the highway.

For my purposes, I would be happy with a 15-20 mile range between recharges with a top end of 50 mph. Most of my riding would be about 35 mph.

Seems like there is plenty of space on this bike for all sorts of experimentation. What would be the best route to go on such a bike?

Clev 01-18-2009 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCool (Post 83768)
I've got a 93 Honda Helix that's in pretty rough shape. I've been thinking about pulling all the plastic off to see what's underneath and what I'd have to work with if I went with something other than gas. From what I've heard, even if the CV was in good shape, I wouldn't want to hook up an electric motor to it due to the inefficiency of CVs. I think the original 250cc 4 stroke puts out about 17hp and this bike will hit 70 mph on the highway.

For my purposes, I would be happy with a 15-20 mile range between recharges with a top end of 50 mph. Most of my riding would be about 35 mph.

Seems like there is plenty of space on this bike for all sorts of experimentation. What would be the best route to go on such a bike?

Ah, geez. I did these calcs a couple of years ago, but didn't really keep anything. You could lose the CVT and drive the rear directly with a belt or chain. I think the rear end ratio is something in the 16:1 range. Because the 250 is liquid cooled, there's a lot of stuff that can come out to make room. It's still a small enough machine that I would recommend an advanced battery pack (NiMH or LiIon) to keep the weight down. I would think you could easily get a 20 mile range using an affordably small pack of advanced batteries and an Etek or equivalent at 72V, at probably around the weight of the original scoot. You might be able to cram enough lead in there to do it too, but then you'd be looking at suspension work.

bennelson 01-18-2009 09:38 AM

Craig Vetter has some fantastic information about aero-modding a Helix.

It's VERY interesting, and well worth checking out.

Last Vetter Fairing

McCool 02-09-2009 10:47 PM

I pulled all the plastic body panels off the bike last weekend. I have a huge space where the gas tank is that measures about 10" x 9" x 19" and offers a lot of protection. There is another place where the radiator is for mor batteries. I could also build a platform above the battery between the seat and front for another group of batteries.

So after seeing some of the other motorcycle mods out there, I'm pretty optimistic that I could convert this scooter and go back with all the original body plastic AND keep that big trunk in the back!

So if I'm looking at NiMH or LiON, where is a good resource for purchasing? What specs on batteries should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!
Brian

Clev 02-10-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCool (Post 87124)
I pulled all the plastic body panels off the bike last weekend. I have a huge space where the gas tank is that measures about 10" x 9" x 19" and offers a lot of protection. There is another place where the radiator is for mor batteries. I could also build a platform above the battery between the seat and front for another group of batteries.

So after seeing some of the other motorcycle mods out there, I'm pretty optimistic that I could convert this scooter and go back with all the original body plastic AND keep that big trunk in the back!

So if I'm looking at NiMH or LiON, where is a good resource for purchasing? What specs on batteries should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!
Brian

Excellent. I never had all of the panels off, but there seemed to be a lot of space available around the gas tank area, radiator area and under the seat. (Heck, you might even fit the controller right under the instrument panel.)

The EVDL seems to be having great results with the A123 Lithium batteries. (These are sold as portable drill packs, but I believe A123 is selling directly to the EV community now.) You may want to post there to see if they got the charging system working on those. Since you're working with such a small pack, you won't suffer quite the sticker shock of somebody converting a car.

alohaspirit 02-25-2009 04:43 PM

craig vetters helix is truly spectacular

http://craigvetter.com/images/Last%2...amliner-45.jpg