EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Idenifying the CTS Gas Pedal of the Toyota Recall (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/idenifying-cts-gas-pedal-toyota-recall-12112.html)

Rokeby 02-01-2010 10:50 AM

Idenifying the CTS Gas Pedal of the Toyota Recall

If you own a Toyota, you may want to investigate whether your vehicle has
the CTS-built gas pedal that is the cause for the concern that is being widely
covered in the media right now. If so, here is some info that I hope will be
of help.

Affected Toyota vehicles:
• 2005-2010 Avalon
• 2009-2010 RAV4
• 2007-2010 Camry
• 2008-2010 Sequoia
• 2009-2010 Corolla
• 2005-2010 Tacoma
• 2008-2010 Highlander
• 2007-2010 Tundra
• 2009-2010 Matrix
• 2009-2010 Venza

Unaffected vehicles:
• Sienna
• Solara
• Yaris
• 4Runner
• FJ Cruiser
• Land Cruiser
• 2004-2009 Prius -- but still subject to the Floor Mat recall
• 2010 Prius

Here is some hard data, photographs and discussion, on the CTS gas
pedals that have been identified as the probable source of the concern.

http://tuneyfish.com/blog/cts-pedal-denso.jpg

From this article at tuneyfish.com which has more detail on telling the
difference between the affected CTS pedals and the unaffected Denso
pedal also used by Toyota.

Here is a statement from the CTS corporation on the matter.

And some details on how the gas pedals are designed.

Many thanks to the good folks at tuneyfish.com for this info.

(I also posted this at PRIUSchat and CleanMPG. I'm hoping that I haven't
broken a forum rule or etiquette by posting here as well.)

Christ 02-01-2010 11:03 AM

TBH - If Toyota is having these problems with this company over such a wide range of MY and vehicle models, why bother even working with them to fix the problem and install new pedal assemblies that (based on track record) will likely fail again?

If it were my business, I'd more likely be taking this company for a ride to pay the bill for installation of a non-fail Denso unit in every recalled vehicle.

As far as I'm concerned, CTS has sullied their company image with unreliability on this scale, and shouldn't be getting off with "we'll redesign the parts". Nah, not even close, pal.

Rokeby 02-01-2010 03:32 PM

And there's more:

First some additional analysis or the pedals themselves from
The Truth About Cars:

[I]"On initial observation, it appears that the CTS may be perceived as
being the more solidly engineered/built unit, in that the pedal pivots
on a traditional and solid steel axle whose bearings are brass or
bronze sleeves. The Denso’s whole pivot and bearing surfaces are
relatively flimsy-feeling plastic. But that can be deceptive, and we’re
not qualified to judge properly if it is indeed inferior or superior. But
according to our sources, the Denso unit will likely be recalled too.
So
the question that goes beyond the analysis of these e-pedals is this:
are these units really the full source of the problem, or are they scape
goats for an electronics and/or software glitch? Pictures and tear down
examination and analysis follows..." in the full article.

And there are other vehicle manufacturer and Canadian connections:

[I]"Maker of Toyota gas pedal ramping up production to meet replacement
demand
By Kristine Owram (CP) – 3 days ago

"TORONTO — The fact that a faulty accelerator implicated in a massive
recall of Toyota vehicles was manufactured in Canada will have a
negligible impact on the Canadian auto parts industry, says the head
of an association representing suppliers..."

"CTS also makes pedals for Honda Motor Co., Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan
Motor Co. and Ford Motor Co., but the company said pedals made for
those manufacturers don't have the same design. Still, Ford on Thursday
halted production of some full-sized commercial vehicles in China because
they contain CTS gas pedals..."

Full Canadian Press article here.

Christ 02-01-2010 03:41 PM

Hm. After reading that, it looks as though Toyota went to a bunch of trouble to redesign a piece of crap into a polished piece of crap with a different type of sensor.

What's so bad about using a standard pot-switch on the accelerator pedal, and forcing the ECU's programming to match that with the TB?

I just don't understand why car makers feel like things need to be complicated to work.

tjts1 02-01-2010 04:15 PM

Basically, all the US built Toyotas are being recalled while all the ones built in Japan are safe.

gone-ot 02-01-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 158296)
Basically, all the US built Toyotas are being recalled while all the ones built in Japan are safe.

...tongue-in-cheek summary: buy JAPANESE (made) cars.

...and, yes, my Vibe is affected by this whole mess!

tasdrouille 02-01-2010 06:18 PM

Lets just not jump the gun until all the dust has settled. (gee that's a lot of idioms for such a short sentence!)

Christ 02-01-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 158314)
...tongue-in-cheek summary: buy JAPANESE (made) cars.

...and, yes, my Vibe is affected by this whole mess!

Well, that's good to know. Might be time to just re-connect a throttle cable to the damn TB?

Fly-by-wire was never high on my list of "good" ideas, honestly.

Rokeby 02-01-2010 07:07 PM

A final installment:

The possible negative effects on consumers and investors not only
stretches from North America to Asia, but to Europe as well. There are
possible further recalls in France, and subsidiary effects extending to
the Czech Republic. At this point it is safe to say that this is as much
or more an issue for the CTS Corporation as it is for Toyota.

In France, Reuters reports that Renault has this to say:

"PARIS, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Renault does not share common parts
with Toyota, the world no. 1 automaker fighting to salvage its
reputation after a massive safety recall, a spokeswoman for the
French carmaker said on Monday.

"'Renault vehicles use neither the same pedals, nor the same parts as
those of Toyota,' the spokeswoman said in a statement."

However, Peugeot and Citroen may not be so lucky:

"Peugeot and Citroen have models that are potentially the same car
as the Toyota Aygo which is among eight of the brand’s models being
recalled over potentially faulty accelerator pedals.

"The Aygo, 107 and C1 models have been developed by the French and
Japanese car firms and are built on the same production line at a plant
in the Czech Republic as part of a joint venture.

"A total of 1.8 million Toyotas in Europe are expected to be involved in
one of the largest recalls in recent years.

"However, while the Aygo uses an electronically-controlled accelerator
pedal that is at the centre of the recall issue, the French brands only
used this pedal in models fitted with stability control systems (ESP) or
automatic gearboxes."

Full story in the Irish Times

KITT222 02-01-2010 07:09 PM

This recall is spreading like the black plague did in Europe. Soon its going to be easier to say which countires are unaffected. It is fer certain the pedals fault. Now some Toyota's ARENT moving at all. Yep. Pedal. The pedal manufacturer has officially soiled Toyota's reputation. Consumer Reports has actually removed its reccomendation of the 8 Toyota's affected.

The 2009/2010 Vibe is indeed also affected. Makes me wonder about the older Toyota's, like 2nd gen Prius, previous Corolla, current/previous Camry, etc... arent affected.

Bicycle Bob 02-01-2010 09:33 PM

I remember the time I was driving in a strange city (Very Strange - SLS :) and the gas pedal on my '81 Celica felt different. It got somewhat better, and next time I had a chance to look, I saw that the pedal had fallen off, and I was using the mechanical lever it had been pressing on. It didn't warrant fixing.

cfg83 02-01-2010 10:59 PM

Christ -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 158286)
Hm. After reading that, it looks as though Toyota went to a bunch of trouble to redesign a piece of crap into a polished piece of crap with a different type of sensor.

What's so bad about using a standard pot-switch on the accelerator pedal, and forcing the ECU's programming to match that with the TB?

I just don't understand why car makers feel like things need to be complicated to work.

I think those bean counters had something to do with it, ;) .

CarloSW2

Christ 02-02-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 158415)
Christ -

I think those bean counters had something to do with it, ;) .

CarloSW2

That's the thing, though. You'd figure that naturally, to be cheap, it would have to be simple, right?

Exactly the opposite there.

NeilBlanchard 02-02-2010 08:00 AM

Three stories on NPR on this:

Toyota President Stresses Safety Of Pedal Fix : NPR

Saving Face: Toyota's Sticky Problem : NPR

Toyota, NHTSA 'Should Have Been More Diligent' : NPR

Daox 02-02-2010 08:21 AM

Good analysis of both pedals by a third party (impartial AFAIK). They took apart both and reviewed the flaws in the CTS pedal.

Why Toyota Must Replace Flawed CTS Gas Pedal With Superior Denso Pedal | The Truth About Cars

vinny1989 02-02-2010 02:51 PM

...and whats wrong with just using a damn cable?

Daox 02-02-2010 03:15 PM

Drive by wire allows the manufacturers to control more things behind the scenes. This gives the benefits of improved emissions, and better mileage.

tjts1 02-02-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinny1989 (Post 158524)
...and whats wrong with just using a damn cable?

Complicated, expensive, emissions.

gone-ot 02-02-2010 04:42 PM

...it's simple automotive economics (damn bean counters):

* 15% of $1 cable = 15’

* 15% of $10 plastic assembly = $1.50

...remember, it's profit to them, not necessarily cost to you, that rules!

cfg83 02-02-2010 06:15 PM

Christ -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 158430)
That's the thing, though. You'd figure that naturally, to be cheap, it would have to be simple, right?

Exactly the opposite there.

Yeah, my Dad says *both* pedals are too complicated, and he's X-Nasa. But I also think his frame of reference is "traditional" pre drive-by-wire car design.

At this point it's a mystery to solve for me. There are so many questions :

- What is the history of the CTS pedal? There must be an evolution of design that moved through "the system" to end up where it is now. They have already changed the type of plastic to deal with the problem in pre-existing iterations, so *someone* must have concluded that it was "good enough" in it's current form.

- Are there other non-Toyota pedals that are similar in design?

- Is the pedal "more complicated" because it allows for reuse of other drivetrain parts? It could be more complicated so as to drive down the *overall* cost and/or complexity of the drivetrain.

- Was there a whistleblower trying to replace it?

- What are the manufacturing costs for the different pedals? I heard the Denso and CTS pedals are interchangeable, but maybe the Denso costs X% more. The fact that it's in 60% of the cars Toyota sells implies that they were achieving a huge economy of scale.

- What is the best pedal design out there, both "modern" (drive-by-wire) and traditional (i.e. throttle cable)?

- If the CTS pedal was designed by Japanese Toyota engineers, will they commit Seppuku to make up for their mistake?

CarloSW2

Christ 02-02-2010 06:21 PM

Well, I doubt they'll violently kill themselves, but you may hear about a few resignations, nonetheless.

I don't believe that either the Denso or the CTS design is superior, really, because DBW is a relatively simple concept that many people try to make seem like some outlandishly complex undertaking. RC cars have been doing exactly this for years, except with radio instead of direct wire control. The differences between the pot/stepper setup of an RC car and the way it could be implemented on a DBW system is basically all in the programming. The DBW system would have to have more than one input to determine optimum stepper setting for the throttle, but that has nothing to do with the most simplistic "volume control" pedal there could be.

Remember my Mantra -

Engineers do it on paper - in 2D. Ever tried to make a 2D object exist and function in 3D space?

Real designers do it in real life, in real time, with real parts. When something doesn't work, we document it, figure out why, and correct it.

Sure, it costs a little more up front, but the end result is a part that doesn't fail, kill someone, and cause a 80 million vehicle recall. Isn't that ultimately what we're after?

luvit 02-02-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 158553)

* 15% of $1 cable = 15’

nah. they;d still charge $1.35 for a $1 cable.

cfg83 02-02-2010 06:57 PM

Old Tele man -

(I think luvit beat me to it)

Quote:

* 15% of $1 cable = 15’

Are you trying to say they make the more expensive part and pass the cost on to the consumer? From a UMC (unit manufacturing cost) POV, I don't think that would fly. Instead I think they would make the cheaper part and pass the cost of the more expensive part on to the consumer. In some instances, that's what they did when 3rd party vendors moved manufacturing from the USA to Mexico. The cost to *produce* a steering wheel in the the maquiladora would go down, but the charge to the auto company that assembles the steering wheel into the car would be the same or slightly less. In that case the 3rd party vendor pockets the difference, but the consumer pays the same.

CarloSW2

Rokeby 02-02-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

* 15% of $1 cable = 15’
...remember, it's profit to them, not necessarily cost to you,
that rules!

Somewhere in all I've read about the CTS pedal assembly it was said;

* It's manufacturing cost is $15
* It's retail cost is $120...

700% profit :eek:

That's a lot of beans... No, thats a lot of bull****.

That wouldn't be CTS, that would be Toyota being avaricious assholes.

Christ 02-02-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 158578)
Old Tele man -

(I think luvit beat me to it)

Are you trying to say they make the more expensive part and pass the cost on to the consumer? From a UMC (unit manufacturing cost) POV, I don't think that would fly. Instead I think they would make the cheaper part and pass the cost of the more expensive part on to the consumer. In some instances, that's what they did when 3rd party vendors moved manufacturing from the USA to Mexico. The cost to *produce* a steering wheel in the the maquiladora would go down, but the charge to the auto company that assembles the steering wheel into the car would be the same or slightly less. In that case the 3rd party vendor pockets the difference, but the consumer pays the same.

CarloSW2

This is currently what goes on with "green" technology, as well. It's a very common practice, and though it seems like it should be the exception, it's actually the norm, in many cases. They find a way to chop their cost, while making it seem like something is "value added", to justify the consumer having to pay more for the same, in the best case, and pay more for less, more likely.

Christ 02-02-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokeby (Post 158582)
Somewhere in all I've read about the CTS pedal assembly it was said;

* It's manufacturing cost is $15
* It's retail cost is $120...

700% profit :eek:

That's a lot of beans...

The thing about that - The retail cost is the cost for a replacement unit from the dealer to you. The cost from the MFG to the auto company will be significantly less, because they had the chance to negotiate a price/unit contract, something you and I don't often have the pleasure of experiencing.

I do, however, try to negotiate prices in my favor no matter where I am (as long as it's applicable. You can't really negotiate the cost of a candy bar in a retail grocery store, get me?)

cfg83 02-02-2010 07:21 PM

Christ -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 158566)

Sure, it costs a little more up front, but the end result is a part that doesn't fail, kill someone, and cause a 80 million vehicle recall. Isn't that ultimately what we're after?

I'm not disagreeing with you. I just want to know *how* it came to this. I call this the "Titanic Syndrome", where a chain of ifs lead to (in this case economic) disaster (for Toyota). As an example of what I think you imply, this could be a case where endurance testing was conducted with (lower cost) computer simulation. If the simulation doesn't correctly take humidity into account, maybe it never "sees" the pedal get sticky. Garbage in, garbage out, Mr. Babbage!

My Dad was telling me how 747s and DC10s were some of the first fly-by-wire systems. There was no point in "fly-by-cable" because the planes were too big. A human wasn't physically strong enough to move the control surfaces with brute strength. However, they do have backup systems to allow the pilots to control the plane in even of systems failure. Little propellers pop out that are attached to generators. They allow the pilot to move the control surfaces with electric motors. Maybe Toyota forgot to add the little propeller-motors to their cars, :rolleyes: .

CarloSW2

Christ 02-02-2010 07:28 PM

Carlos -

If you can get that information, I'll read it. After you're jailed for uncovering some international conspiracy by our government to sell the entire economy of this country to the Japanese.

Have fun with that. :thumbup:

Obviously, I'm kidding. Japan can't afford our debt.

luvit 02-02-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 158594)
Carlos -

If you can get that information, I'll read it. After you're jailed for uncovering some international conspiracy by our government to sell the entire economy of this country to the Japanese.

Obviously, I'm kidding. Japan can't afford our debt.

747s and DC10s' fly-by-wire only cost'd $1.35 per plane. click here for source.

cfg83 02-02-2010 07:56 PM

Christ -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 158594)
Carlos -

Ha ha, more like a conspiracy by GM to take down Toyota for becoming #1. Did you know what CTS actually stands for? :

Crush Toyota Sales ... ONE PEDAL AT A TIME!!!

Remember, you heard it here first, :p .

Overall, I don't know, I just have a vivid imagination. Is that a spider? AHHHHHH!, a spider! ... no wait, just a dust bunny ... nevermind. I'm just talking off the cuff. I could be wrong about everything. The thing is, we are looking at a flawed component. There have been warning signs going back to at least 2005, but no one has done anything substantive about it. And, Toyota's explanation doesn't add up. There's a long story here, and it would be neat (for me) to know it in full.

CarloSW2

gone-ot 02-02-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 158566)
Remember my Mantra -

Real designers do it in real life, in real time, with real parts. When something doesn't work, we document it, figure out why, and correct it.

...and, field-test the hell out of it too!

NeilBlanchard 02-02-2010 08:10 PM

Hi Carlos,

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 158564)
- Are there other non-Toyota pedals that are similar in design?

I heard that CTS gets only 3% of their revenue from Toyota, so I'm fairly sure they are making similar units for someone else. Didn't Ford have a "sudden acceleration" problem a couple of years ago? And the Audi 5000 was mentioned...

Yes, and there are other terrible problems -- like Ford trucks bursting into flames sitting in the driveway (at night) -- I think it was a cruise control component overheating...

Christ 02-02-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 158609)
Hi Carlos,

I heard that CTS gets only 3% of their revenue from Toyota, so I'm fairly sure they are making similar units for someone else. Didn't Ford have a "sudden acceleration" problem a couple of years ago? And the Audi 5000 was mentioned...

Yes, and there are other terrible problems -- like Ford trucks bursting into flames sitting in the driveway (at night) -- I think it was a cruise control component overheating...

My Escort GT caught on fire. Shorted ignition switch.

The Audi 5000 had a UI incident, yes. Funny, though. It had a cable accelerator, IIRC.

cfg83 02-02-2010 08:43 PM

Neil -

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 158609)
Hi Carlos,

Oh yeah, Peugeot's getting whacked also :

Peugeot?s German Plans Hurt by Toyota Venture Recalls (Update1) - Bloomberg.com
Quote:

Peugeot said it’s recalling about 10 percent of the C1s and 107s on European roads to fix an accelerator pedal made by Elkhart, Indiana-based CTS Corp. The defective pedals, which can become stuck, have already prompted Toyota to recall at least 4.1 million vehicles in North America and Europe. Over the past decade, 19 deaths have been linked to sudden acceleration of Toyotas, U.S. House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman said last week.
But I want to know if this "plastic friction slider" is an accepted solution by a completely different company. CTS claims it makes the pedals to Toyota specifications. Sooooo, it's a Toyota-engineered design. Maybe someone "did it right", but Toyota goofed.

CarloSW2

Christ 02-02-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 158624)
Neil -

But I want to know if this "plastic friction slider" is an accepted solution by a completely different company. CTS claims it makes the pedals to Toyota specifications. Sooooo, it's a Toyota-engineered design. Maybe someone "did it right", but Toyota goofed.

CarloSW2

So what really happened was Toyota's engineers designed it (in 2D), sent the design to CTS, and CTS was just "following directions", right?

I don't buy it. CTS is just as responsible as Toyota, for not testing the design to ensure it's safe operation. How did QC not design a test for something like this?

cfg83 02-02-2010 09:02 PM

Hello -

Found this interesting article :

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1/302019910/-1
Quote:

As chronicled in Toyota's Jan. 21 Defect Information Report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the buildup to the pedal recall was years in the making.
Kane's Safety Research & Strategies has tallied 2,057 sudden acceleration incidents involving Toyotas since 1999, with 725 resulting in crashes. A total of 18 people were killed and 304 injured, by its count.
Kane's research indicates there are multiple causes for sudden acceleration, ranging from mechanical interface to unidentified electronic defects. But many incidents can't be explained by either the floor mats or the pedal mechanism, suggesting lingering unidentified defects, he says.
Toyota believed the 2007 complaints about sticking accelerators were limited to the Tundra, according to the NHTSA report. And the European problems in the Aygo and Yaris were isolated in right-hand- drive cars with a particular configuration of the heat duct and accelerator pedal. Warm air from the heater could induce condensation on the friction lever, thereby causing it to stick, Toyota said.

The man at the eye of the storm is Toyota's top quality troubleshooter, Managing Officer Hiroyuki Yokoyama. In consultation with Executive Vice President Shinichi Sasaki, Yokoyama is the one making the final call on whether to launch a recall or not, insiders say.
Early signs of trouble
A timeline of Toyota's sudden-acceleration woes
March 2004: NHTSA opens investigation of 2002-03 Toyota Camry, Camry Solara, Lexus ES.
July 2004: NHTSA closes investigation without finding defect.
Aug. 2005: NHTSA opens investigation of 2002-05 Camry, Solara, Lexus ES.
Jan. 2006: NHTSA closes investigation without finding defect trend.
March 2007: NHTSA opens investigation into Lexus ES for floor mat interference.
March 2007: Toyota starts investigating sticking pedals in Toyota Tundra pickup.
Sept. 2007: Toyota recalls all-weather floor mats in the Lexus ES and Camry.
Jan. 2008: NHTSA opens investigation into 2006-07 Toyota Tacoma pickup.
April 2008: NHTSA opens investigation into 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan.
Aug. 2008: NHTSA closes Tacoma investigation without finding problem.
Dec. 2008: Toyota investigates sticking pedals in the Toyota Aygo and Yaris.
Jan. 2009: Toyota recalls Sienna minivans to fix floor carpet covers.
Aug. 2009: Crash of runaway Lexus ES 350 kills 4 in California.
Oct. 2009: Toyota begins recall of 4.3 million floor mats.
Jan. 2010: Toyota recalls 2.3 million cars for faulty pedal mechanism, suspends sales of 8 nameplates.
Jan. 2010: Toyota adds 1.1 million vehicles to floor mat recall.
Source: Safety Research & Strategies Inc., Center for Auto Safety
In an interview with Automotive News last month, Yokoyama said quality has suffered in recent years for several reasons, including the company's rapid increase in production, a proliferation of model types and the introduction of more electronic controls.

CarloSW2

cfg83 02-02-2010 09:05 PM

Christ -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 158625)
So what really happened was Toyota's engineers designed it (in 2D), sent the design to CTS, and CTS was just "following directions", right?

I don't buy it. CTS is just as responsible as Toyota, for not testing the design to ensure it's safe operation. How did QC not design a test for something like this?

Ha ha, again, I am not disagreeing with you, I am just specumalatin'. I am looking at it from a non-emotional "Spock at the crime scene" POV.

CarloSW2

cfg83 02-05-2010 02:25 AM

Hello -

My friend sent me this :

Fixing Toyota's Recalled Pedals: The Video starring Doug the Master Technician — Autoblog

It seems a different repair shim is used based on a gap measurement made by the mechanic. What does that mean? Does a bigger (or smaller?) shim mean the pedal is closer to sticking? Is this to compensate for divergent manufacturing tolerances? Or ... ???

CarloSW2

moorecomp 02-05-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 158624)
Neil -

CarloSW2

Toyota would have provided specifications such as the physical size, mounting specs, angles of motion, electrical inputs, outputs and connection type and size, even the color, and the manufacturer would submit their design for technical review and cost analysis. Toyota would also have specified different types of testing the part must be subjected to, such as cyclic testing in varying environmental conditions. That is why the Denso and CTS pedals are physically different, but functionally the same. Toyota may have "goofed" only by not adequately reviewing the long term implications of the different designs.

gone-ot 02-05-2010 10:40 AM

...'Sold by' and 'Made by'are two different sides of the same coin.

...seller bears the initial responsibility, while maker has secondary responsibility--legally.