EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   I'm back from a 2 1/2 year hiatus to gain MPGs. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/im-back-2-1-2-year-hiatus-gain-36187.html)

SwamiSalami 02-21-2018 05:15 PM

I'm back from a 2 1/2 year hiatus to gain MPGs.

Hey guys!

It's certainly been a while since the ole Salam was around these parts! I've been getting the worst gas mileage ever since selling my 2001 New Beetle TDI for a family jeepster, 1999 Subaru Outback LL. I'm currently commuting for work again and am excited for tax refund time so that I can justify spending some coin on something that will be capable of some good numbers.

The Budget: $5-9k

The Necessities: 4 doors, preferably under 100k miles, everything works without issues or idiosyncrasies

The Current Wants/Options: TDIs, Prius C, Ford C-Max, Audi A3 TDI, Honda Insight IIs.

Any advice and Tips are greatly appreciated!:thumbup:

I'm excited to be back!

MetroMPG 02-21-2018 07:08 PM

With a lift kit!

---

Welcome back.

Mitsu Mirage an option? You could get a nearly new one for your budget, and MPG competitive with a couple of your candidates.

Otherwise, from your list I'd go for the Prius C or C-Max because I'm a nerd and I like driving that kind of hybrid system.

Why not go for a TDI again?

SwamiSalami 02-22-2018 12:02 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for getting to me! I need to change my address info, actually, I'm in West Texas now. Thanks for the reminder. My subaru was purchased up there, though and was a beast.

Unfortunately, some unpaid student debt has caught up with me on my tax return! They took about half! Needless to say, a brand new anything is out of the question at this point. My new budget is Less than 6k. In fact, if I thought there was a chance of keeping this car I have, I'd do it. But it doesn't seem worth it to fix it up and mod it.

Yes, the mirage is definitely on my radar. But, only the CVT. i'm looking for an automatic for sure.

I HAVE been considering the TDIs, but most have too many miles. I know, I know, diesels have more longevity, but I'd really like to find something with around 60-80k miles. And as far as TDIs go, I feel as if I'd like to go with something newer than the ALH 1.9L. I've had one and it was great, but is typically accompanied by a 4 speed Auto. Since I'm hell bent on an auto, but refuse to buy a 4 speed, it kind of limits my options. Any comparisons you all know of are appreciated.

That said, it would be nice if a diesel is in order, to get a greasecar kit a few months after car purchase. That's another must when it comes to TDIs for me.

I, too, am very nerdy. And, I've never had a hybrid format, so that's something I really like the idea of. There's a fleet car company that Pepsico, my employer, does business with, hell, maybe even owns, called Flexco. Flexco has great deals on used cars for Pepsico employees, so I'm always looking at that website. However, there seem to be only 3 models, the Subaru Legacy sedan, the Chevy Equinox, and the Ford C-Max. These C-Max models usually have anywhere from 50k-100k miles on them and have been used for business. Usually, 2011-2016, and ranging, almost respectively, from 5500$-9800$. Anyone had an experience with this company?

I'm really trying to make the best decision for my little budget and am quite serious about replacing the guzzler I've got.

TTYS

SwamiSalami 03-04-2018 01:26 AM

I've started leaning towards the 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid. I'm even open to one of those high efficiency passers, too. What were those called HF? I've also seen some gen2 insights that fit the bill.

Thoughts?

Gasoline Fumes 03-04-2018 03:47 AM

I'm a Honda guy, but I'd go with a Toyota Prius over a Honda Hybrid. Most of the 2nd gen (2004-2009) Priuses should be within your budget. 45-55 MPG without much effort. I can get 60-70 MPG in one if I really try. Very reliable and used parts are pretty easy to find now.

MetroMPG 03-04-2018 09:59 AM

Agree strongly with Gasoline Fumes.

2009 Civic Hybrids are the worst for battery longevity. My parents' 2009 is on its 3rd battery.

I had a 2004 Prius for a year (original battery, still had lots of capacity @ 270k km / 168k miles), and MUCH preferred it over the Civic for many reasons.

I also had a 2007 Civic 5-spd, (one of the nicest cars I've owned) and a 2000 Insight 5-spd, so I'm not anti-Honda by any stretch.

I'd get an older Insight 5-speed over a Civic hybrid CVT. At least if the battery goes, you can still drive the Insight (and still beat the Civic's MPG without the hybrid stuff).

rmay635703 03-04-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwamiSalami (Post 561945)
Hey guys!

It's certainly been a while since the ole Salam was around these parts! I've been getting the worst gas mileage ever since selling my 2001 New Beetle TDI for a family jeepster, 1999 Subaru Outback LL. I'm currently commuting for work again and am excited for tax refund time so that I can justify spending some coin on something that will be capable of some good numbers.

The Budget: $5-9k

The Necessities: 4 doors, preferably under 100k miles, everything works without issues or idiosyncrasies

The Current Wants/Options: TDIs, Prius C, Ford C-Max, Audi A3 TDI, Honda Insight IIs.

Any advice and Tips are greatly appreciated!:thumbup:

I'm excited to be back!

My 2 door Cobalt Xfe seats 5 and tops 50 mpg all summer, my guess is a Cruze should be capable of the same.

Simple car, only maintenance is the blasted timing chain, otherwise nearly bulletproof so far

Been considering a Prius v to be my craftmobile with high miles they are $4-8 k
But beware 2010-2015 Prii are good oil burners

SwamiSalami 03-09-2018 10:30 PM

It's really great how you guys have hit some high points on my list of concerns! Great minds, eh?

So, I ended up buying a 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5L 6speed automatic.

Having an automatic was important to me, because I learned how to drive a stick on a 1983 Ford Bronco Dually diesel farm truck. Ever since then it's been nothing but peel out for me for probably the first 25 yards of driving in a passenger car or sports car. I remember trying to drive my wife's 2009 Ford Mustang LHD (which was driven mostly in the British Isles up to this point, mind you) once in Miami Beach. I got some attention from the bicycle cops instantly!

I needed something tiny, tinted (because I live in West Texas), and drove comfortably and highway speeds. I feel pretty good about it so far. I'm starting a new tank of gas tomorrow morning! I'll be posting pictures and stuff as Well!

*on a new thread*