EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   I'm freaking sick of this ish (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/im-freaking-sick-ish-19042.html)

Fr3AkAzOiD 10-05-2011 12:19 PM

I'm freaking sick of this ish

My coworkers make fun of me on a weekly basis for my hypermiling and then the next day I see a group of them together b*#ching about how much it costs to get to and from work in gas.

Every time I try to give them some basics they just pishaw it off.

I'm at the point where I'm about to go off and tell them that they either stop making fun of me or stop complaining about the cost of gas. They can't have it both ways.

Anyone else in the same boat?

SoobieOut 10-05-2011 12:32 PM

I feel your pain...

Seems the average American lacks basic critical thinking skills. This could be taught in schools, however if the average american watches 6 hours of TV each day. Being bombarded by commericals showing fast, sexy cars. I see little chance of changing peoples minds, unless we have lines at the pump for $10 gas. Then you will see change!

I remember the gas lines of 1973 and 1979 in the USA. People really changed driving habits, for about a year. Then it was like nothing ever happened.

I would ignore the fools. They will ask for your advice when we see long gas lines and 10 bucks a gallon again. I am confident this will happen in our lifetime.

tjts1 10-05-2011 12:55 PM

You could grow a thick skin and make fun of them.

Kodak 10-05-2011 12:55 PM

What's your typical response when they make remarks?

orange4boy 10-05-2011 01:01 PM

I pity the fool who does not ecomod.

You have to keep going your own way confidently. Make fun of them right back. I'll bet some of them will quietly start trying your tricks. Nothing convinces like confidence.

In a group like you describe most people don't want to feel different but privately they will probably listen to you.

Also.. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" applies.

PaleMelanesian 10-05-2011 01:39 PM

Reminds me of the bumper sticker I saw.

"Gas prices suck!"

Pasted on the back of a Suburban.

tjts1 10-05-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodak (Post 264198)
What's your typical response when they make remarks?

I hope gas gets more expensive. Maybe you should carpool. Have you considered mass transit? Its not that bad when I'm spending X cents per mile, how about you?

cfg83 10-05-2011 02:07 PM

Fr3AkAzOiD -

If you get upset then they win. Maintain a copy of this for when you need to defend your stance :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-cf...lt-xfe-mpg.jpg

As tjts1 implies, *be* the Rhino,

CarloSW2

Fr3AkAzOiD 10-05-2011 03:23 PM

They usualy say something about how they blew past me on the way to work and they thought it was their grandma driving at first.

I usualy say then how did I get here first?

Then they say the lines sucked at Starbucks drive through.

I am confident and don't let what they say, which isn't really that mean change me.
It's just that I don't understand why they don't do something about it instead of just whine. Then when somone like myself gets 50+ mpg everyone thinks I'm using VooDoo.

I do think I made it through to one a bit. They drive about 5 more miles then me and said they spend about $450 a month in gas. I told them I only spend about $125.

Another person then made some driving like grandma statement. I ignored and told the first person to check their tire pressuse. Cause it's gotten colder they are probably at like 28 - 30 psi and they should pump it up to 38 psi and would gain at least 1 mpg.

I'm done venting though.
Just wanted to know I wasn't alone in this. :)

BHarvey 10-05-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr3AkAzOiD (Post 264222)
They usualy say something about how they blew past me on the way to work and they thought it was their grandma driving at first.

I usualy say then how did I get here first?

Then they say the lines sucked at Starbucks.

I am confident and don't let what they say, which isn't really that mean change me.
It's just that I don't understand why they don't do something about it instead of just whine. Then when somone like myself gets 50+ mpg everyone thinks I'm using VooDoo.

I do think I made it through to one a bit. They drive about 5 more miles then me and said they spend about $450 a month in gas. I told them I only spend about $125.

Another person then made some driving like grandma statement. I ignored and told the first person to check their tire pressuse. Cause it's gotten colder they are probably at like 28 - 30 psi and they should pump it up to 38 psi and would gain at least 1 mpg.

I'm done venting though.
Just wanted to know I wasn't alone in this. :)

What this is, is, "Americans need to whine, all the time, about everything".
Instead of ACTUALLY doing something to help.....