EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   I'm Simon and I have a diesel (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/im-simon-i-have-diesel-10208.html)

milesgallon.com 09-16-2009 07:09 AM

I'm Simon and I have a diesel

Hello everybody,

I've been doing "practical fuel saving" for the past three years meaning that I save fuel when it's efficient to do so. I check my tire pressure, I follow trucks when practical and try to keep the speed down when not too stressed :)

I don't have eco tires as I did a quick calculation and found out that the eco tires available here are more expensive thant the fuel they would save.

I run a website with a gas mileage calculator and with some tips on how you can improve your fuel economy. It's not one of the water as gas scams though.

I'm interested in discussing fuel saving techniques and would love to own a scangauge some time. Too bad our current 1998 Opel Astra Diesel does is not compatible.

The Opel btw can do up to 45MPG with no mods just careful driving and the right tire pressure.

SVOboy 09-16-2009 12:04 PM

Welcome to ecomodder :thumbup:

How much do LRR tires cost?

milesgallon.com 09-16-2009 12:41 PM

Thanks,

I don't remember the exact cost but it was at least double that of the low price alternative.

Simon

solarguy 09-17-2009 05:30 PM

If you're lucky, the LRR tires might last a little longer than the low end tires. That would somewhat offset the cost difference.

On the other hand, tires with a high or very high treadwear rating will definitely outlast the LRR tires, but return consistently worse FE.

On the third hand, tires that are nearly bald give improved FE compared to the same tire with full tread thickness. So, if wet/snowy weather isn't a big factor where you live, drive 'em until the tread is smooth as a baby's behind. Don't go crazy though, lack of tread WILL cause you to hydroplane and crash if it's wet and you're not careful.

Finest regards,

troy

robchalmers 09-18-2009 03:14 AM

which engine are you running?

1.7 td
1.7dti
2.0 di 16v???

milesgallon.com 09-18-2009 03:58 AM

robchalmers,

I have the 2 liter diesel, thats X 20 DTL in the book. Could be that 2.0 di 16v was another mark for the same engine. Anyway there is only two diesels in the book for my 1998 model G Astra and one of them is 1.7 liters.

I think the 2 liter diesel is great. It's fairly efficient and has the power to overtake when needed.

milesgallon.com 09-18-2009 04:06 AM

solarguy,

I don't have to keep snow in mind for my summer tires, I change to snow tires with studs anyway when winter arrives. There is regulation for thread thickness though so I could get a ticket if I let them go bald... Last summer two of them were almost bald but really I didn't notice any change in fuel economy when buying the new cheapest available ones.

Have been thinking about getting the Nokian HakkaR studless winter tires next time I have to change them as they have very low rolling resistance according to reviews.

robchalmers 09-18-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milesgallon.com (Post 128435)
there is only two diesels in the book for my 1998 model G Astra and one of them is 1.7 liters.

I think the 2 liter diesel is great. It's fairly efficient and has the power to overtake when needed.

Ah - missed the bit about it being a '98

the di 16v 2.0 and the 1.7 dti came in later.
I'm a big fan of the Astra G wagon (ex owner / opel employee)

your spot lights might be hurting your aero!!

can we have more pictures please ??

milesgallon.com 09-19-2009 11:17 AM

There's a fresh (60minutes) photo in the garage now. As you can see I have removed the spot light. I got them with the car but removed them when they didn't pass the yearly auto inspection.

Overall it's a nice car, nothing special but really nothing that I can complain about in it. We got it "by accident" as we just had to buy something quick when our old rusty Mercedes reached end of life :)