EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Import Tuner Magazine : Project Sipper ('92 Civic VX) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/import-tuner-magazine-project-sipper-92-civic-vx-26831.html)

Cd 08-31-2013 03:01 PM

Import Tuner Magazine : Project Sipper ('92 Civic VX)

I just saw that Import Tuner magazine has a project car ( A '92 Civic VX ) that they will try to get the best MPG out of that they can.

So far they are concentrating on weight reduction, and seem to be a bit shy with the aero treatment. I would have liked to see them work more on the aero of the car, since these guys are professionals and could make the car look sharp.

I think a lot of guys would change their view of an aero-modded car if a major " accepted " magazine showed how that it is possible to aero-mod a car and have it still look "cool"

Actually, they have done a few mods that are very familiar here - they installed a kamm-back spoiler and blocked off the fog light holes, and are planning a belly-pan as well next issue.

To my surprise, they have the current issue online.

Here is the link

Part one :1992 Honda Civic VX - Import Tuner Magazine

Part two
1992 Honda Civic VX - Import Tuner Magazine

I can't wait to see what these guys come up with ( and what kind of results they get ) :thumbup:

Cd 08-31-2013 03:07 PM

" The plan is to build a visually appealing car with absolutely no compromise to its looks. No spaceship body kit, ugly wheel covers, or teardrop-shaped nose cones. "

Teardrop-shaped nose cones ? Nose cone ? The cone goes at the back of the car :-)
Installing the cone at the front of the car does virtually nothing for the aerodynamics of the car unless it acts as a grille block or the car reaches over 250 mph . ( or was that 350 ? )

Cd 08-31-2013 03:15 PM

Check out their cool kammback : http://image.importtuner.com/f/tech/...ag-wing-41.jpg

cbaber 08-31-2013 03:34 PM

Did they create any type of baseline number in the first issue? I think we here at EcoModder are going to be disappointed in the results, but they will probably be happy. If they don't get over 75 MPG than the whole thing was a joke. We've got basically stock cars that get over 60 MPG, without the thousands and thousands of dollars worth of carbon fiber they put on the car.

I think they had the right idea with weight savings, but they went too far. It's already a light car compared to everything else on the road. I would have rather seen more investment into tuning the lean burn, and "hidden" aero mods.

markweatherill 08-31-2013 04:00 PM

An mpg-themed exercise in product placement. Next month: same thing, different excuse.

redpoint5 08-31-2013 04:29 PM

Seems like the article is a long advertisement for various aftermarket part suppliers and installers.

Since they spent so much money to reduce a couple pounds, I'm surprised they didn't go with lightweight wheels.

Cd 08-31-2013 05:03 PM

It's not a surprise though that they are using so many aftermarket parts. They are a magazine that sells stuff to stay afloat.
For instance that carbon fiber kamm-back could have been made from scrap Coroplast and cost hundreds ( thousands ? ) less, been lighter, and been just as effective.
But that's not going to sell any products.

cbaber 08-31-2013 05:19 PM

Whats really interesting is that they spent a lot of money on the custom carbon fiber, but then got the cheapest camber kit available. I mean Blox is pretty much an eBay brand. It's bottom of the barrel in the Honda tuning community, a slight step up from the no-brand eBay crap. It will work just fine, I even bought that same set to use on my Del Sol years ago, but for an "all out" build they chose some interesting brands.

I think this is evidence to prove the theories above, about this being just product sales. If there is any good to come out of this, it's that there is another VX still on the road, and more exposure to ecoModding in the main stream car crowd.

Frank Lee 08-31-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

...about this being just product sales.
Aren't they all?

oil pan 4 08-31-2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 388197)
For instance that carbon fiber kamm-back could have been made from scrap Coroplast and cost hundreds ( thousands ? ) less, been lighter, and been just as effective.
But that's not going to sell any products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbaber (Post 388200)
Whats really interesting is that they spent a lot of money on the custom carbon fiber, but then got the cheapest camber kit available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 388189)
" The plan is to build a visually appealing car with absolutely no compromise to its looks. No spaceship body kit, ugly wheel covers, or teardrop-shaped nose cones. "

Teardrop-shaped nose cones ? Nose cone ? The cone goes at the back of the car :-)
Installing the cone at the front of the car does virtually nothing for the aerodynamics of the car unless it acts as a grille block or the car reaches over 250 mph . ( or was that 350 ? )

What do you expect from a magazine that is trying to appeal to kids who draw cars with rockets and machine guns on them during math class?