Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Are there differences between 2000-2006 Insights?

As I am researching more and more on the Honda Insight (2000-2006), I am seeing differences in specifications for each year. Power, mileage, and a few other things seem a bit different over the years- from the internet.

I'm sure the Insight forum may have more on it, and I did search here first (Answer a mans question, he knows for a day- teach a man to search, he learns for life.), but I figured there may be some detailed info in the brains of ecomodders.

My biggest reason for wanting a newer model is because it should live longer, and have less miles- but also if I want to finance, I'll have a better chance (I will easily get approved, but most of the finance offices I have looked at won't go past 2003). But, it seems like the newer the Insight, the lower the performance- less mpg, less power (less sense!).

I have looked into other ultra efficient vehicles, but only the Metro and Civic hybrid. I need a standard, a decent price >4k, and crazy mpg. Older is of course better, the worse the car looks, the easier it'll be to ecomod. I am open to suggestions for other cars, but keep in mind I do have my heart set on the original Insight.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Latter models had a different seat which is more comfortable. Only other difference is the ecu/mcm? Some had more aggressive charge profiles to prolong the battery life. There is no difference in power or fuel economy except MT vs CVT.

My options were either
Geo Metro,
CRX HF,
Civic VX,
Civic HX,
Older clone sprint/ xfi,
1st gen Civic hybrid,
Honda Insight.

The major point for me was reliability, and all the previous models were full of new england rust, and had high mileage from the 90's. Insight is plastic and alluminum so no rust.

Now if i had to do it again, i'd pick a cheap car that was well maintained. Little investment, less insurance, not much care if i hit a deer and scrapped it. Thats my personal opinion. Bought mine for $3,200 which is good, i spend more on insurance than gas (Insur is priced good for Insight). Even for an economical car, i spend more on my car than i do groceries sometimes. Do you own the car, or does the car own you?

Don't get too hung up on the EPA numbers between models, if it's in the 40's, you can get 50mpg driving good. If your a hypermiler you'll get mid 60's++ mpg.

For alternatives, the CRX HF would be my first pick. Fun, lightweight, great handling, excellent fuel economy, sporty 2 seater. Smaller frontal area than the Insight, and decent CD. Aeromodding can make it slipperier than the Insight.

Next are the leanburn Hondas, VX, HX, 1st gen civic hybrid (did have leanburn!). Higher mpg cruising than the EPA rates it as. All have 4 seats.

I will say the Honda Insight is a great car. I love everything about it, looks, lightweight, aerodynamics. As close to my dream car as i can get. Other cars can get the same mpg, but the insight does it with little effort on your part. You won't regret it!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
Latter models had a different seat which is more comfortable. Only other difference is the ecu/mcm? Some had more aggressive charge profiles to prolong the battery life. There is no difference in power or fuel economy except MT vs CVT.

My options were either
Geo Metro,
CRX HF,
Civic VX,
Civic HX,
Older clone sprint/ xfi,
1st gen Civic hybrid,
Honda Insight.

The major point for me was reliability, and all the previous models were full of new england rust, and had high mileage from the 90's. Insight is plastic and alluminum so no rust.

Now if i had to do it again, i'd pick a cheap car that was well maintained. Little investment, less insurance, not much care if i hit a deer and scrapped it. Thats my personal opinion. Bought mine for $3,200 which is good, i spend more on insurance than gas (Insur is priced good for Insight). Even for an economical car, i spend more on my car than i do groceries sometimes. Do you own the car, or does the car own you?

Don't get too hung up on the EPA numbers between models, if it's in the 40's, you can get 50mpg driving good. If your a hypermiler you'll get mid 60's++ mpg.

For alternatives, the CRX HF would be my first pick. Fun, lightweight, great handling, excellent fuel economy, sporty 2 seater. Smaller frontal area than the Insight, and decent CD. Aeromodding can make it slipperier than the Insight.

Next are the leanburn Hondas, VX, HX, 1st gen civic hybrid (did have leanburn!). Higher mpg cruising than the EPA rates it as. All have 4 seats.

I will say the Honda Insight is a great car. I love everything about it, looks, lightweight, aerodynamics. As close to my dream car as i can get. Other cars can get the same mpg, but the insight does it with little effort on your part. You won't regret it!
I appreciate the thoughtful response. You really have me more set on the Insight, now it's just when and the right one.

Insurance for me for a 2006 is $

Bodily Injury Limits
$100,000/$300,000
--
Property Damage Limit
$50,000
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury Limits
$100,000/$300,000
--
Liability coverage total
Deductible 500/500

Adding the Insight to my insurance goes from 420 to 511 for six months- definitely cheap! ~250 to insure it is nice.

Best Tanks:
Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Insights don't rust. Manual transmission, mileage and battery condition would be the only concerns I would have. And even mileage doesn't mean much on these cars, they are so over built you wouldn't believe it. It would be good to get one that still has the IMA under warranty (10 years I believe, up here anyway), so you could get a new one for free. But other than that, if it runs and drives and isn't some sort of insurance wreck that's been rebuilt, it's hard not to snap up any good deal on one if it comes up. Good luck!
Old 10-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

minispeed-Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.15 mpg (US)

MDX - '01 Acura MDX Touring
90 day: 22.29 mpg (US)

the wife's car - '13 Toyota Prius Plus
90 day: 45.99 mpg (US)

leaf-one - '15 Nissan Leaf SV
I passed on a $10,000 2003ish insight in 2010, I'm glad I did because I got a 2006 $14500 prius instead, that car has been very reliable and tons of fun to drive and I was able to pass it onto the wife and get her hooked on driving an economical car. She's now onto a brand new 2013 prius and I got a 2000 insight off of metrompg for $3800. It's high millage but after everything I've learned those tend to be the better cars because the hybrid system does not like to sit unused and with them being so well built why pay the premium for a low millage car if it doesn't mean much?

I would also say the Honda 10year warantee is not worth the extra that sellers of newer cars will ask. I think you're better off with an older car that is at least $2000 less. Put that part of the budget away to save for a new non honda battery which are higher capacity and built with more modern batteries. I've already factored one into the budget within the next 2 years.

From my observation there are more people getting high millage in 2000s. This could be many factors such as hypermillers in the know grabbing the cheaper older cars then driving them better. However I did read a post that I can't find now on insight central about the battery control, BCM and motor control, MCM on earlier cars giving higher MPG. Also the honda civic lawsuit about poor MPG mentioned an update by honda that changed the programing to use less electricity and more gas to extend the battery life. I'm not sure if any of those issues in the civic resulted in later year insights having different programing.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GET AN INSIGHT!! there were a couple different software versions in the computers over the years, I believe later versions were written to help protect the IMA battery from abuse in cold weather scenarios, the original software was allowing too much assist/ regen or something along those lines before the pack got up to operating temperature and Honda must have thought this would degrade reliability. I have heard the original software was better for the MPGs. Also, epa testing changes so I wouldnt doubt if thats part of the differences you are reading about. Anyhow, as i said before, BUY AN INSIGHT! There is no cooler higher tech car out there to this day. Theres a reason they cost honda 50+k $ apiece to build!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Actually I think if you go on insightcentral you can find part numbers for the different BCMs and what software versions they had. I believe I looked mine up years ago and I had the "good" original software (mine is a 2000). Members over there have swapped out different computers and seen very real mileage gains with the different programming. I just go easy on the car when its cold out for the first 10 minutes or so.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

I actually purchased mine on September 13th, but I will keep that in mind in winter- another use for the clutch engage switch.

Best Tanks:
Reply  Post New Thread