EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   An insightful article on aero... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/insightful-article-aero-24488.html)

wungun 01-02-2013 08:12 PM

An insightful article on aero...

Car Aerodynamics - Hot Rod Magazine

Discuss!

Mustang Dave 01-02-2013 09:53 PM

We have already discussed this article at least twice.

wungun 01-02-2013 09:59 PM

Yeah....so?
Maybe someone like myself wouldn't know to find a specific writeup like that..and maybe many more have not seen the original posts themselves...?
Now it'll show up on a "recent" search...
Bonus if you ask me!

Or maybe ill just not post anything anymore....

jeongyun 01-02-2013 10:21 PM

So, use 'search'

wungun 01-02-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeongyun (Post 348464)
So, use 'search'

And what exactly would I put in for a query?
As if...

I was directed to thearticle on another forum and decided to share. I'm not going to try to find the exact same article on here somebody might of posted 5 years ago, rifling thru all the **** that would come up on a search before posting...

ryannoe 01-02-2013 10:43 PM

Thanks for the post. I hadn't read the article. Its good to see some well respected folks like Hotrod Magazine cover aero and give a few figures. I'd love to have a garage where I could work a wind tunnel. Anybody got some seed money to crank one up in Huntsville, AL? We'd get some gov't work too :D

-Ryan

wmjinman 01-02-2013 10:53 PM

I can say I found the car lowering and air dam advice in that article, to be "spot-on" through my own experience at the Bonneville Salt Flats. My air dam is almost identical to the Hot Rod Camaro's (heavily influenced by that article, in fact), and after testing another design and no air dam at all, this design worked the best (at high speed). I had a few people tell me I was adding drag with that "snow-plow" bolted to the front of my car, so I tested it. Nope - it truly helps.

- Same thing with lowering the entire car. I had people tell me it would be better to raise the back end a bit - slope the hood & roof down, etc. So I tested that too. Nope - the least drag is with BOTH the front AND back ends as low as you can get them.

Now, this is for high speed and reducing lift, too. For minimum drag in a hypermiling type thing, extending the air dam all the way down to the ground is probably NOT the best - as discussed on here before. The idea is to make it low enough to "cover" the lowest hanging stuff under the car, but ONLY that low.

YeahPete 01-03-2013 01:15 PM

Very interesting. Gives me the motivation to continue work on my air dam.... Once the weather warms up a few degrees!

freebeard 01-05-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wungun
And what exactly would I put in for a query?
As if...

""hot rod magazine" aerodynamics"

Duh

ryannoe 01-05-2013 06:15 PM

I appreciated Wungun's thoughtfulness to think of us when he stumbled across this article. If duplicates start to plague the forum, I'm sure the moderators will start deleting. Until then, why don't we just help each other?

-Ryan

freebeard 01-06-2013 03:07 AM

If he hadn't said "As if.." I wouldn't have said "Duh", or were you looking further up-thread?

"hot rod magazine" aerodynamics - Google Search

Thanked three times by lurkers, you must be on to something.