EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Interesting article: 110 mpg bio-d motorcycle conversion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/interesting-article-110-mpg-bio-d-motorcycle-conversion-4325.html)

MetroMPG 08-03-2008 10:43 PM

Interesting article: 110 mpg bio-d motorcycle conversion

I like this guy's attitude: "What is the most efficient method of transportation available to me, the consumer? After a lot of research, I found the answer: I'd have to build it."

Green Machine
What happened when one Tucsonan set out to create a super-efficient biodiesel motorcycle

From The Tuscon Weekly

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/binary/1...urr-25120.jpeg

This 2000 Royal Enfield made a good conversion platform because the motor and transmission aren't integral (making for easier mix 'n' match), and the frame design leaves TONS of room to work and mount a mill that didn't come OEM.

Quote:

I know for a fact that the Green Machine will get somewhere between 110 and 170 miles per gallon as it stands. But there are ways to improve that.

A windscreen adds to the aerodynamic quality, so I added a small windshield. A full fairing would do even more, but that's for later on.

Removing weight from the bike will improve its mileage. I've already gone from a dual seat to a solo seat, and for daily driving, I'll take off the panniers as well.

The single biggest addition that will increase mileage: the addition of a computer capable of tracking real-time mileage. Called a Veypor motorcycle computer, it has three-axis accelerometers that can give you reams of data.
A well written article. Worth a look.

Tucson Weekly : Currents : Green Machine
He's using

bennelson 08-04-2008 08:47 PM

Interesting article.

I also read about another guy over in England who did almost the exact same thing converting the same model of cycle to diesel!

Almost identical projects!

dirtha 08-23-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 50905)
Interesting article.

I also read about another guy over in England who did almost the exact same thing converting the same model of cycle to diesel!

Almost identical projects!

Late post, but has anybody else checked out DieselBike.net The Original Diesel Motorcycle website.? They have a bunch of conversions, many Royal Enfields. There seems to be much more activity on this front in Europe than North America.

ldjessee00 10-03-2008 12:03 AM

I wonder if it would be easy to convert a URAL to run on diesel? Their prices for new have gone up recently, but for a motorcycle that comes with a side car (some models, the side car wheel is powered), it is hard to beat.

If the side car is 'easily' detached (as in, putting it on for a weekend would be less work than hooking up a trailer), then family, groceries, etc can be transported with it attached.

LDJ

Frank Lee 02-20-2011 07:58 PM

Back from the dead...

In the Tucson article he says:

Quote:

...and have yet to get her onto the road. I still have to get her reregistered back at the MVD.

I know for a fact that the Green Machine will get somewhere between 110 and 170 miles per gallon as it stands. But there are ways to improve that.

A windscreen adds to the aerodynamic quality, so I added a small windshield. A full fairing would do even more, but that's for later on.

Removing weight from the bike will improve its mileage. I've already gone from a dual seat to a solo seat, and for daily driving, I'll take off the panniers as well.

The single biggest addition that will increase mileage: the addition of a computer capable of tracking real-time mileage. Called a Veypor motorcycle computer, it has three-axis accelerometers that can give you reams of data.

I've also made some changes to the engine to improve performance. Bruce at Doc's Engine on South Craycroft Road "pocket-ported" the head to improve air and fuel flow, and added specialized coatings to the engine. Mark at M & J Dyno and Machine on South Dodge Boulevard had a whale of a time trying to balance a one-cylinder diesel crankshaft, but succeeded, which will also improve the engine handling. We shaved some weight off the flywheel in the process.

I'm planning on playing with a couple of other improvements, including vapor injection--the addition of small amounts of water to the fuel/air mix, which improves performance and efficiency by somewhere between 5 and 20 percent. There is also supplementary oil cooling--using the electrical power of the generator to power a scavenge pump which sends the engine oil out to a cooler. This may improve efficiency, but probably not by much. This will be my last improvement, if I choose to make it.
I wonder how he knows for a fact *mpgs, windshield and fairing and weight effects, etc.* when at that point he hadn't ridden it on the road?

Do Veypor computers work on diesels?

Is he aware that no air/fuel mix flows through diesel's intake ports?

What is engine handling?

Diesel water injection in the intake with the air/fuel mix? :confused:

Cooler oil improves efficiency?

:confused:

I'd like to know how it all came out anyway. Weight, accel times, top speed, fuel econo, and last but not least, what kind of engine was it?

euromodder 02-21-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 221230)
I wonder how he knows for a fact *mpgs, windshield and fairing and weight effects, etc.* when at that point he hadn't ridden it on the road?

You can also test things away from public roads.

Frank Lee 02-21-2011 01:33 PM

There's not even a hint of any rideability experience in his comments- just starting the engine.

Odin 02-21-2011 02:39 PM

I think he might just be a guy who stuck a diesel into a motorcycle and got an interview. I'm not sure if he understands everything he is talking about. Though if you look up the conversion plenty of other people have done it with similar results-

10 Hp Diesel Engine Electric/Recoil Start

for anyone interested in the idea this engine here might be an amazingly cheap route to convert a small enduro or any small bike to run on diesel.