Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
24 Miles a Day on a Schwinn Suburban?

Hello all,

I'm considering riding my bike to work. The trip is about 12 miles each way, down a very busy, sometimes very narrow, road. Although I have a modern Raleigh SC30 comfort bike (mountain frame, front suspension, fat tires), it needs a bunch of work that I probably won't get around to for a while. It's also never struck me as a very good bike, to be honest.

Instead, my daily driver will be my late-seventies Schwinn Suburban. It weighs a ton, but is fairly nice to ride. I've done 12 and 14 mile rides on it recently, but am I crazy to consider doing twice that per day on it? I'm probably going to do a trial run this weekend with it.

Also, any recommendations as to what I should do to the bike, and gear?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Princess Carriage - '20 Ford Explorer Limited

Silver - '22 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT w/tow pkg
Maverick Hybrids
90 day: 41.3 mpg (US)
The chances of eventually becoming a casualty are too great i.m.o. considering the length of your ride and the narrow roads, plus the fact that there are a lot of stupid people behind the wheels of those cars. Too many motorists are distracted these days with all the texting, calls, applying of make-up, etc . . .

I ride my bike 4 or 5 miles two or three mornings a week for exercise, but I start my ride at 4:30 in the morning, I ride on the sidewalk facing traffic, and my bike is lit up like a Christmas tree.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
The chances of eventually becoming a casualty are too great i.m.o. considering the length of your ride and the narrow roads, plus the fact that there are a lot of stupid people behind the wheels of those cars. Too many motorists are distracted these days with all the texting, calls, applying of make-up, etc . . .

I ride my bike 4 or 5 miles two or three mornings a week for exercise, but I start my ride at 4:30 in the morning, I ride on the sidewalk facing traffic, and my bike is lit up like a Christmas tree.
So I rode the route yesterday. There is a significant portion of the route with a paved pedestrian path on one side, which is a bit awkward to use on my return trip. Unfortunately, the portion of the route with no pedestrian path is the narrowest (and hilliest). I might see if there's an alternate route for that little section.

24 miles all in one go nearly killed me though. I didn't stop after I got there, just turned around and rode back. Turns out the return ride is pretty much all uphill.

I may just do this once a week until the weather stops cooperating.

Also, the bike now has a mirror.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

'13 Veloster Turbo (Retired) - '13 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

'14 Interceptor (Retired) - '14 Honda Interceptor Base

'14 Insight - '14 Honda Insight EX
Good on you for riding your bike!

Cars run on money, bikes run on fat.
The Following User Says Thank You to ninj4geek For This Useful Post:
The Other Andy (10-19-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I use a Jamis Arragon city bike. It is very comfortable and rugged. I have ridden it for 15 years. I have found route selection critical and MapQuest has options for bike routes. Lights, visible clothing, a mirror, and helmet are essential. A fairing extends range and makes you more visible. I rode a 10 mile commute on a mountain bike with no trouble. I use hand signals and behave as a vehicle operator should. Drivers resent bikers who don't follow the rules of the road.

I also have a Huffy with a 3spd internal gear hub. I replaced the 48T chain ring with a 40T and kept the 19T rear gear. For stop and go traffic it is just right.

Last edited by Grant-53; 10-18-2015 at 09:40 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I agree with using sidewalks as much as possible and using way more lights than you think you need. I slimed my tire tubes and carried a mini tire pump. Take a few tools, but not too many. Maybe a multi-tool and a small adjustable wrench.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Moving the bar end hand grips inboard, about 5 inches from center gives me an extra mph cruising. The fairing is for bad weather rather than speed for now.

Using the sidewalks has its own risk. Check your state laws. If you ever happen to injure a pedestrian there may be liability issues.
Old 10-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

'13 Veloster Turbo (Retired) - '13 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

'14 Interceptor (Retired) - '14 Honda Interceptor Base

'14 Insight - '14 Honda Insight EX
In Colorado, bikes are considered vehicles and have no business on a sidewalk, especially downtown.
The Following User Says Thank You to ninj4geek For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninj4geek View Post
In Colorado, bikes are considered vehicles and have no business on a sidewalk, especially downtown.
What I'm talking about isn't a typical sidewalk. It's a wide, asphalt path, the type you often see with lane markings in the center. It does run parallel to the road, like a sidewalk.

It might make more sense if I explain the situation a bit more. The area with the path I'm talking about is nothing but urban sprawl. It's a major thoroughfare past modern Mcmansion filled subdivisions, with speed limits of 45 mph. Almost no houses actually face this road. This is certainly not a downtown area (where I will normally ride in the street).

Unfortunately, the portion of this road which lacks the pedestrian path hasn't been widened or modernized since it was a country road through farmland. It has probably a two-foot shoulder on one side (although this varies wildly) and less than a foot on the other. This two-lane section is likely well over designed capacity during the times I'd be riding.

After riding the route Saturday, I'm thinking I may do this once a week or so until the weather turns. Still not sure.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Last summer I rode 14 miles round-trip on my commute. Your trial run is certainly more difficult than your actual commute will be since you only do half of it at a time, and will quickly improve your physical fitness.

This year my company didn't win the lottery for the Hood to Coast relay, so I had no motivation to be in shape. Also, I'm driving a Prius plug-in, so I'm not using any fuel to begin with. Finally, my work schedule changed to 7pm-7am, which puts me in heavier traffic.

I'd say go for it. Far more people die of health related issues stemming from improper diet and exercise than from traffic fatalities.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
The Other Andy (10-21-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread