EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   Interesting laws for bicycles in the state of Georgia (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/interesting-laws-bicycles-state-georgia-3011.html)

NoCO2 06-12-2008 08:58 AM

Interesting laws for bicycles in the state of Georgia

For more info on Georga state laws, go here (they match the ones on the dot site so they're good)

Section 40-6-296

Quote:

No bicycle shall be equipped, modified, or altered in such a way as to cause the pedal in its lowermost position to be more than 12 inches above the ground, nor shall any bicycle be operated if so equipped.
Last I checked my road bikes pedals at their lower position were only about 2 inches and that's from the factory.

Quote:

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell a new bicycle or a pedal for use on a bicycle unless the pedals on such bicycle or such pedals are equipped with reflectors of a type approved by the Department of Public Safety. The reflector on each pedal shall be so designed and situated as to be visible from the front and rear of the bicycle during darkness from a distance of 200 feet. The commissioner of public safety is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations and establish standards for such reflectors.
My clipless pedals have no reflectors on them and even if they did they are inside my shoe so you wouldn't be able to see them anyway.

I think I may also have found a loophole in GA law restricting the speed at which it can travel on the road. Section 40-6-294 states that:
Quote:

Electric assisted bicycles as defined in Code Section 40-1-1 may be operated on bicycle paths.
and Section 40-1-1 states that: (and this is a long one so I'll sum it up)

Quote:

Originally Posted by summary of 40-1-1
Electric assist bikes are defined as a bicycle that is powered by a motor no more then 1000W in power. They may not exceed 20mph in speed when under electric assist power only on level ground. May not allow for the bicycle to exceed 20mph when human power alone can already attain such speed or higher

So, that means if I have an E-bike that can go over 20mph, it is not legal to ride it on bicycle paths, however, it says nothing about being illegal to ride in the road...am I right?

(Sorry for posting so much recently, I've just been finding a lot of interesting stuff I thought I might share with everyone while I am at work)

If you're interested about bicycle safety laws in your area, check out this site.
http://www.electricscooterparts.com/laws.html

TheDon 06-12-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoCO2 (Post 34097)

Last I checked my road bikes pedals at their lower position were only about 2 inches and that's from the factory.

http://victoriansports.weebly.com/up...84/7104073.jpg

looks like I am ok to ride in Georgia. :)

SuperTrooper 06-14-2008 06:38 PM

summary of 40-1-1
"Electric assist bikes are defined as a bicycle that is powered by a motor no more then 1000W in power. They may not exceed 20mph in speed when under electric assist power only on level ground. May not allow for the bicycle to exceed 20mph when human power alone can already attain such speed or higher."

The way I read it is you can NEVER exceed 20 mph under power. Period. Regardless of location.

ebacherville 06-28-2008 01:36 AM

dont you think its totally ridiculous that they make laws over bicycles..

If you injure some one your liable no matter if you on a bike or crawling on your hands and knees, that's all it boils down to .. these laws are pretty anal

jamie-laws 09-30-2010 01:47 PM

Definitely there are so many laws that really needs to undergo a drastic change

Ryland 09-30-2010 02:55 PM

There is a federal law that says that a bicycle with a motor and with a top speed of either 20 or 25mph (forget) is a bicycle, not a motorized bicycle, and thus can ride on side walks where it is allowed, bike paths, is covered under home owners or renters insurance and all those other laws that allow bicycle use.

RobertSmalls 09-30-2010 05:49 PM

Is there anywhere where it's legal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk?

Ryland 09-30-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 196759)

Sidewalks are permitted in most states for bicycle ridding, here they are even part of the bike path system, the only part of town that bikes are not allowed on the side walk is on streets with business where the side walk is not wide enough to safely have people exit buildings without being hit.
So at least in Wisconsin bike are treated as traffic while on the street and have to yield to pedestrians while on sidewalks.

Christ 09-30-2010 08:49 PM

I think technically it is here, locally. I'm not positive on that, so don't quote it.

I do, however, know that any motorized bicycle or pedalcycle in PA, is considered a motor vehicle, and must be registered and insured as such for legal operation on the streets and highways of this (not so) great commonwealth.

The only ones that don't require a motorcycle license are those 50cc or less, with a top speed that doesn't exceed 25MPH. They also can't be operated on highways. IF you read the definition of highway in PA, it's basically a paved/lined road that is maintained by the commonwealth. :rolleyes:

There is no motorized version of an on-road vehicle which can be operated by anyone under 16 years of age, and they all require some type of license, at least a Class C automobile license, and insurance/registration.

Get this - If it doesn't have a title, it can't be registered in PA. If it's a bike you built, it doesn't have a title. You then have to file for a title and have your "custom vehicle" inspected by a certified mechanic, then submit paperwork to have it VIN'd. In order to do this, you must have an MSO and emissions certification for the motor or kit installed, at the minimum, including an inspection and certification from the mechanic.

And you thought GA's ruling was crappy?

Ryland 10-01-2010 11:00 AM

Electric bicycle laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

The U.S. NHTSA Code of Motor Vehicle Safety simply defines low-speed electric bicycles as consumer products and not Motor Vehicles for safety standards.[23] In doing so they vest authority over commercial safety standards to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission(CPSC) stipulates that commercially manufactured[24] low-speed electric bicycles, or tricycles, must have fully operable pedals, an electric motor of less than 750W of power and a top motor-powered speed not in excess of 20 miles per hour (32 km/h) with a rider weighing 150 pounds.[25] An electric bike remaining within these specifications will be regarded simply as a bicycle for purposes of safety standards. This supersedes any state law that is more stringent, but only regarding safety equipment required on electric bicycles and the standard of manufacture they must meet.[26] The legislation enacting this amendment to the CPSC is also known as HR 727.[27]

No known federal regulations apply to the manufacture of homebuilt electric bicycles.

euromodder 10-01-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 196759)

Yes.
It is in Belgium, outside of built-up areas, and provided there's no bicycle path.

Christ 10-01-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 196873)

Electrics and under 50cc can be operated by anyone with a Class C license. The federal ruling only applies to safety standards, and not to registration or licensing applications.

Grant-53 10-01-2010 08:29 PM

The rules vary by state and country so check your local listings. Here in New York state only mopeds from certified manufacturers are legal with speed classes: A = 30mph+ and a motorcycle license; class B 20 to 30 mph and a driver's license; class C up to 20 mph. Technically you can be arrested on the spot for riding a pocket bike, electric scooter, or motorized bicycle, but the law is rarely enforced. Legislation allowing 20 mph electric bikes has been stalled in the NYS Senate for years. In contrast, in North Carolina anything under 30 mph is unregulated. I have spent my efforts in streamlining ordinary bicycles so that a 20 mph commuter ride does not require the fitness level of a club racer.

faisalmirzafu 01-08-2011 01:00 AM

HI every One

sid 01-08-2011 10:58 PM

The State of Florida allows bicycles on sidewalks in general, though it also allow local governments to restrict it in certain areas.

RedDevil 10-04-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradallen226 (Post 495528)
dont you think its totally absurd that they make rules over bikes..

No, they need to.

Otherwise anyone can put a 750 Watt motor in something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRAHvFxvOyYand do 80 MPH on your sidewalk.
Well, maybe not on the sidewalk ;) but you get the idea.

Xist 10-04-2015 09:39 PM

Here in Tempe, they painted giant green bicycle lane markers on University Road, but most people continue to ride on the sidewalk, without a helmet, while listening to an iPod, and texting. However, on Hardy, which crosses University, they raised up the bike lane, so now it is a second sidewalk, with similar giant green signs on it.

The rest of the town has bike lanes in some places, with signs telling people to ride their bikes on the road.

Consistency?

Of course, we do not have consistent side walks or street lights, either.

I have had people insist that sidewalks are safer for riding bikes, but have also read that about two-thirds of all accidents involving bicycles occur on sidewalks, with the explanation that cars and bicycles are oblivious to each other in driveways.

Grant-53 10-08-2015 04:45 PM

Only small children should ride on the sidewalk and then under 6 mph. Everyone else is operating a vehicle on the highway. Headphones in both ears and texting are illegal in NY. I would love a powered velomobile but I would have to register it as a motorcycle and get a MC license.

Sven7 10-08-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 495560)
Of course, we do not have consistent side walks or street lights, either.

I have had people insist that sidewalks are safer for riding bikes, but have also read that about two-thirds of all accidents involving bicycles occur on sidewalks, with the explanation that cars and bicycles are oblivious to each other in driveways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant-53 (Post 495945)
Only small children should ride on the sidewalk and then under 6 mph. Everyone else is operating a vehicle on the highway.

In Michigan it's specifically legal to ride a bicycle on [the right side of] any road with speed limit 35mph or below. Bicycles are not considered "vehicles", but they are "traffic". Presumably, that would mean that since traffic is allowed on all roads, bicycles are too. Conflicting laws are fun.

However, most people around here are too ignorant to respect other road users, let alone bicycles, so I ride on the sidewalks of the main roads. Seriously, when you ride on the main roads legally, (many of the through roads are not "legal" to ride on) people act like you're carrying a nazi flag and spitting in their faces. It's insane- honks, jeers, threats. About a month ago, I saw a guy riding COMPLETELY LEGALLY on a 35mph section of Van Dyke Ave at 12 Mile Rd, and a Police Caprice slowed down behind him, got on the loudspeaker, and yelled "GET ONTO THE SIDEWALK!" or some such thing. It was absolutely bizarre. If the cops are too ignant to allow legal operation of a bicycle, why would I risk it? Warren can't be the only place in the nation where bicycling on the street is de jure allowed but de facto prohibited.

I do about 10mph usually, but slow down and give a verbal signal to peds. However, most have earbuds in and couldn't hear a car horn a foot from their face, in which case I just cruise on by.

Technically, on average, with the little data we have, riding on the road is supposed to be safer. And I see where they're coming from, because I almost got run the f*** over twice in the past week. One, a woman was gawking at a cop car that was turning onto the street she was exiting, and she of course rolled right through the stop sign, about ten inches from my barely stopped front tire.

The other was just today. I was on the sidewalk going with traffic, with my blinky taillight on, and she turned onto a street right in front of me with no intention of yielding. I hit the brake as hard as I could, and barely missed her as she honked at me. I gave her the one finger salute.

Then a couple miles later, AS I ENTERED THE CITY THAT NOW HAS BIKE INFRASTRUCTURE, at least two people actively backed their cars out of the crosswalk at intersections! Awesome! It's amazing how simply adding bike lanes and "bike route" signs can make such a difference in people's attitudes toward cyclists.

With the road planning around here, and with the way people are used to driving, it can be hard to see cyclists. I get it. But on the flip side, people pay more attention to their phones than the road, and I don't want someone running me down in the street, intentionally or not. At least on the sidewalk, my exposure to cars is limited. I ride residential streets when possible, but most tee into major roads within a couple miles, so they're not viable options for actual transport.

To be fair, I am halfway through a wheelset build right now and only have a rear brake. It makes stopping quickly a challenge. However, I'm so used to the dumbassery of drivers around here that I can usually predict what they're going to do. Pull into the crosswalk? Cut me off? Stop/yield properly? Hold up traffic and wait for me for 15 seconds because they can't judge distance? All common behavior around here. It's just been a rough week! Time to get that front disc spacing figured out. :rolleyes:

Xist 10-09-2015 03:33 AM

Several times, I have walked on the sidewalk, only to have bike riders shout at me to get out of their way.

Regardless of who people are and what they are doing, they resent people inconveniencing them.

gone-ot 10-09-2015 04:57 PM

FWIW, bicycle riders are merely slow-speed motorcycle riders...both equally loved/hated for the daredevil darting antics...ie: "...guess where I'm heading next..."

Grant-53 10-09-2015 05:02 PM

This has been a major issue in the US for decades. What it boils down to is that bikes are vehicles that can be used safely on most highways except limited access expressways and the Interstate system. Whether the local laws require it or not lights, reflectors, a loud horn, mirrors, and a helmet are what I recommend as a rider for the last 55 years. If the police are ignorant of the laws you may politely show a printed copy of the current statutes. Rather than give the one fingered saluted I may pretend to cover my face with my hands. Smile and wave with some remark in a foreign language such as "Your sister's burro has very fine fur." If threatened, a camera on your phone can be handy to document faces and license plates. I ride the way I would drive, I use every opportunity act in a responsible manner. This means watching drivers' eyes and car wheels. I anticipate the moves of others and use hand signals to blend with traffic. I try to be a good ambassador for sharing the roads.

Sven7 10-09-2015 08:54 PM

I feel similarly to you on many things (although I am quite... "passionate"), and I watch what people are doing (although they're hard to predict)... but when someone tries to kill me, whether I'm on a bike or driving my truck, I take that as a personal offense.

Carrying a copy of the statute is a good suggestion; when I had two cars and collector plates I used to carry the statute allowing my original 1965 plate. It ended up being a non-issue. Most of these things are. But it's always that one time, right? :rolleyes:

The camera... that would be nice to have. GM puts PICpatch labels over our phone lenses, so it's hard to whip out the camera at a moment's notice.

FWIW, my girlfriend does tech support for police at the moment and she has asked about bikes... the answer was that officers are very unlikely to pull over a cyclist in Michigan. The reason? It's hard to pin them on something, and if you do, you can't take away their driver's license! I'm not advocating dangerous behavior, but when cycling laws don't make any sense, I seldom worry about it any more.

Grant-53 10-10-2015 10:04 AM

A 200 lbs bike and rider combo at 10 mph is not likely to be a threat to life and property of the community. We are 'portable esses' for the racer wannabes on the highway.

Grant-53 10-19-2015 02:56 PM

Would you believe that wearing inline roller skates makes you a vehicle operator on the road here in NYS? I shook my head when I read that statute.