EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   interesting results!driving like i used to = 30% decrease in mpg.. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/interesting-results-driving-like-i-used-30-decrease-22940.html)

320touring 08-15-2012 03:50 PM

interesting results!driving like i used to = 30% decrease in mpg..

Got my BMW 328 lpg car back after getting the clutch sorted, so decided to go for a drive with the girlfriend...

I brimmed the lpg tank (holds 50l), and off we went..

Approximately 70% of the trip was on motorways and 30% fast A/B class single carriage way.

On motorways I sat at 70mph (psl) constantly in gear, no driving with load/p&g etc

Backroads were approached in an 'enthusiastic manner', lots of lower gear work and full throttle acceleration-maximum momentum through the corners. Only slowing down when the psl dropped.

Result was 200.5 miles covered and 49l of lpg used

=18.6(imp)mpg

Compared to the 25-28mpg I usually get on lpg, it represents circa 30% increase in Fuel consumption!

Shows that some basic techniques can greatly improve efficiency, even in large engined cars..

However, it did feel good to do some 'italian tuning':)

euromodder 08-15-2012 04:49 PM

It's sad - nah, not really - but once you've been hypermiling, you can't drive like you used to anymore. ;)

Even if you're trying, you're still using less fuel than you used to.

320touring 08-16-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 321827)
It's sad - nah, not really - but once you've been hypermiling, you can't drive like you used to anymore. ;)

I retain the ability to dive 'fu gutty', to the extent the car "tinks" when its parked up:)

If on petrol, it' d have been about 24mpg..still circa 30% below the usual mpg on petrol..

The endorphin release can't be quantified as mpg, but the smiles per mile was high:)

320touring 08-17-2012 04:36 PM

following tank was a 23.2mpg one.. not P&G is really killing my mileage:(

Sven7 08-17-2012 04:52 PM

Also good to hear of an E36 getting flogged. I imagine my tank MPG is always down 5% or so due to the odd redline shift, etc (more so in the Rabbit). It's good to have a little fun, and there is a happy medium!

320touring 08-17-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sven7 (Post 322245)
Also good to hear of an E36 getting flogged. I imagine my tank MPG is always down 5% or so due to the odd redline shift, etc (more so in the Rabbit). It's good to have a little fun, and there is a happy medium!

A little Italian tuning never hurt anyone:)

I agree re the happy medium, but I do a Min 20k miles per year, and my lpg costs the same as your gas..not to mention using 20% more lpg compared to petrol!

However,would much prefer to lpg my e30 as its so much more fun to drive, whether going fast or slow...

My girl's project car is a 1984 mk1 golf (rabbit) convertable with a gti engine:)

Hoping for 40 imp mpg out it-every mechanical part with exception of some engine internals will be new-gonna be great!

See if I can rustle up some pics..

Gealii 08-17-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

i disagree every once in a while i take my old car out for a spin to get that fast driving out of my system. red lining every gear 1 day out of the month only driving 15 miles that whole day. Even with the fuel loss of doing this i make up more then that easily in 2 days of hypermiling in my dd

Karadjas 08-25-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

This. I even hypermile my fun car when I'm not flogging it, and get as many giggles out of low L/100kms as I do out of 0-100kmh times :D

Unfortunately I don't think I can get one to match the other in either car, as a <5L/100km Audi S3 or a <4.5" 0-100kmh Ibiza TDi are probably not gonna happen :p