Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So glad to be here..

So incredibly glad to find a place like this.. I was taping up the grill on my 2002 Explorer Sport long ago.. I had it up to 23mpg running 80mph on the hwy with people and gear. Of course the exhaust and such was done to help. I always knew that there was way too much turbulance under the body of it and was planning on modding it even more. Never got around to it though, my wife and I were getting married and decided to trade her Mazda3 and my Explorer in on a Mazdaspeed6 to consolidate payments and save some money.
Now to my current ecomodding.
About 2 years ago I got all excited about hypermiling and what was possible by using these simple techniques. Well I was laughed at by my wife. Well now she is the one hypermiling due to the higher gas prices.. she drives 12 miles one way to work, not in the Mazdaspeed6 (its the weekend car) but in a car I picked up for 1200bucks a year ago, in her Mazda MX-3. It is a 1992 model with a 1.6ltr 4 popper, milling out 88hp. I have done different things to it to see if I could get better mileage out of it, due to the fact she drives it the exact same route everyday. To which she used to laugh at me for making her car ugly but now she is all about it.
On average the car would get 31mpg with her driving it to and from work, on a hwy trip we could squeeze 32-34 out of it, this is all with the A/C on, for living in Oklahoma is quite brutal at times. Well now that she is into getting better mileage she improved her MPG to 34.8 with simply slowing down and clutching the hills and rolling stops and such. Great improvment. This improvment was without any aero mods at all. So I told her I was going to make the car ugly and tape it up. She was all for it now, and she said to me "take the back seat out too" LOL so we now have tape on all but a small portion of the grill, aired up tires, no mud flaps, no back seats or spare... and the last trip we took at 68mph and some city traffic, we averaged 38.5mpg. I am excited..

There is more to come on the aero mods, these are simple things I have done, taped up the grill and put a cardboard belly pan on it.. I think I am going to do the whole front now and start figuring out how to get the rear bumper out of the equation as far as wind drag, the under carriage is actually pretty smooth on this old car, but I may put a screen on it. And skirts are not out of the picture. She is shooting for 40mpg average, then if we can acheive that we are going for the 10mpg improvement of 42mpg. All on a car I paid 1200 bucks for with a working a/c... and it now has 168,000 miles on it. HAha

Anyway that is a quick probably miss spelled look into our new adventure. Love the site!!!

Stigler

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Hi Stigler - welcome to the forum. It's always great to read an intro from someone who's already found some success in the driving & vehicle mods, and is looking for more.

How'd you find us?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think I found it by googling for Aeromodifications, ended up here on a thread where someone has a Matrix/Vibe and was doing window screen on the underside, new to me. I have seen your progress on some other sites, when I was looking at buying a Metro. Love your work.
I find this site much easier to be on, when it comes to Aero mods, because we all drive something different, instead of a site dedicated to one type of vehicle. That is a major plus in our quests. We can garner so much from each others experiences.. body shapes, engines , tires etc.. just really impressed.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
This is a great community to be part of and we are glad you could join us!

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 07-31-2008, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Howdy! Have you thought about installing a vacuum gauge on the MX-3 for more driving refinement?

Yeah, that window screen idea had me intrigued too... but not as much as being told the mesh acts like a solid barrier at higher speeds. I was planning to apply that to some kind of grill block. Hee hee.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelswrd View Post
Howdy! Have you thought about installing a vacuum gauge on the MX-3 for more driving refinement?

Oh no, I have not.. that is something to run by her though. She was a bit discouraged last night at only getting 32.6 this last tank.. ha.. It is still an consitant improvment I told her, so I am onto something at least. She is searching for the sweet spot in the speed right now.. I figured out that 53mph and up would do.. so she is going for 55mph this tank to see if it makes a difference. I am enjoying watching her get a kick out of this more than anything.