EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Intro post. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/intro-post-35444.html)

djwimbo 08-03-2017 09:22 PM

Intro post.

Hello!

New to this forum, not to forums.

I've spent a couple hours reading up on some things here, and felt I needed to make a profile.

I have plenty of history in auto related things, from my Auto Tech degree from UNOH, to working in dealerships, salvage, and even some performance, areas.

I didn't really get into the EV/hybrid stuff when I was in college, even though I had it all available to me. I even worked for Toyota, and took part in servicing the hybrid vehicles, from PDI's to TSB's/recalls.

Now I've learned to appreciate them, maybe my mentality has changed... it's been awhile.

I won't write a novel, but now I want to build cool things... with amps.

Anyways, thank you for the info thus far, and hopefully I'll be a contributing member in the future.

- Dan / DJ / Wimbo / ... whatever you want to call me.
(djwimbo is my handle on most of the public forums I partake in)

Peace & Love

Stubby79 08-03-2017 10:18 PM

Looking forward to seeing your future builds!

djwimbo 08-03-2017 11:50 PM

Thank you!

I'm quite looking forward to working on some projects in the future.

No garage for now, so nothing major until that changes. Apartment life sucks for that.

End goal would be to have a small "sporty" car that's converted to full EV & parks in a solar powered garage.

Ideal to me would be a classic Mini, but that's decently pricey rolling chassis to get into.
Probably start with something cheap and easily sourced parts, ... like an older Forester, Civic, etc.

I work in auto salvage (not here to promote the company I work for), I have access to stupid amounts of lead-acid batteries. Not that I want to run those, but I have a virtual unlimited quantity available to me for a very reasonable cost. I'm thinking this would be a good source for bench testing and such, and maybe proof of concept, but not a final power source due to density, etc.
This also means that I have access to hybrid driveline parts. Which brings me to how I got here ... We have like 5x IMA motors and at least one MGR(Toyota) diff/motor, in our warehouse. I want to use the MGR to make a test mule/golf-cart/utility-vehicle.
I figure if I can make a "small scale" system that I like with the MGR-based system, then I can talk myself into doing something like the YASA+Gearbox deal, and get into some real power potential.

... I guess they're all pipe dreams for now, but I hate seeing neat things go to waste, and that includes my brain.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-04-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwimbo (Post 546602)
No garage for now, so nothing major until that changes. Apartment life sucks for that.

Not having a garage sucks, but there is other problem in apartment life: not being able to get a larger dog.

Quote:

End goal would be to have a small "sporty" car that's converted to full EV & parks in a solar powered garage.

Ideal to me would be a classic Mini, but that's decently pricey rolling chassis to get into.
(...)
I want to use the MGR to make a test mule/golf-cart/utility-vehicle.
Since it's going to require some custom fabrication anyway, why not eventually building a Mini replica out of fiberglass?

Stubby79 08-04-2017 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwimbo (Post 546602)
Thank you!

Miata's are pretty common, light and sporty. Not that I have any bias, or anything!

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-04-2017 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 546606)
Miata's are pretty common, light and sporty. Not that I have any bias, or anything!

And with their light and compact platform, wouldn't need too much battery size to have a reasonable range.

Daox 08-04-2017 10:42 AM

Welcome to the site Dan. Good to have you here.

JockoT 08-04-2017 11:38 AM

Welcome. By a classic mini I assume you mean

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Minor_1959.jpg

not the "mini". (spit)

https://wypcc46396xzeiu84fn7jp14-wpe...Countryman.jpg

djwimbo 08-04-2017 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 546605)
Not having a garage sucks, but there is other problem in apartment life: not being able to get a larger dog.

Since it's going to require some custom fabrication anyway, why not eventually building a Mini replica out of fiberglass?

Truth!
I am looking forward to having the space for a pupper. We had to get an exception made for us for the cats at this apartment.
For now, I/we have two cats, if you're into that sorta thing, you can check them out on Instagram @18livesofganda (G & A, for Georgie & Albert)

Mini-Replica is more likely the route that project will take.
... and by that, I mean I'd be expecting to cut most of the floor out and replace it with a DIY ladder-frame. Not sure if I'd make it FWD, RWD, or AWD, yet ... I guess that depends on the budget when I get there. I'm biased to RWD, but I've had all the car-based options in my lifetime(I say that because I have only ever had 2WD trucks).
I'd be all for a track-able caged setup too, but that would push it out of some of the other criterion that I'd like it meet for an around town car.

Also, I plan to take a welding certification course before attempting this. Fortunately there's a place right down the road from me that does that stuff. Not that I can't weld, I just know I'm not a certified welder, and I don't like questioning my own abilities on safety matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 546606)

100% agree!
My roommate helped me get into AutoX during college, he downsized(unintentionally) from a C5 Corvette to a 90 Miata w/ a 2554 Turbo kit on it(Flyin Miata kit IIRC).
... that wasn't enough, so he ended up building an L33 (Alum block 5.3L) for it. I guess it was pretty stout, but I never got to drive it with the V8.

That thing was definitely a fun toy, it actually fit me better than it fit him.
I'm 185-195lb @ 6ft, he's more of a body builder frame, and 190-225lb @ 5'10"

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 546633)
Welcome. By a classic mini I assume you mean

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Minor_1959.jpg

Correctamundo on that one!

Always loved those little things, and will eventually get one for my own.
The couple I've seen, or worked on, around here were of the Austin variety. I haven't had the opportunity to find the differences between the originals and what I believe was a Mexican-manufactured vehicle(VIN said it was a 1997 for the one I worked on).

Thank you all for being so welcoming!

I probably won't be posting often, but I'll do my best to search before posting.

djwimbo 08-04-2017 04:04 PM

Before I forget!

Current DD: MY2000 BMW 323i Sedan 5-sp manual.
EPA rated @ <30MPG Highway, and like 24MPG city.
-> I average about 26.5MPG combined, and have seen >33mpg highway.
I can honestly say I do 30+MPG Highway, and that makes me happy.

Side girl: MY2015 Honda Grom, Yellow.
I don't remember what it's rated for, but I get 115-128MPG with it.
Won it in a raffle drawing in Canada, then had to import it myself, which sucked, but ended up ok.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-05-2017 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djwimbo (Post 546647)
For now, I/we have two cats, if you're into that sorta thing, you can check them out on Instagram @18livesofganda (G & A, for Georgie & Albert)

I have a (presumably) Fox Terrier/Miniature Pinscher mixed-breed dog since July 2012, but when it comes to cats all my attempts to raise kittens failed and they died in short timeframes.

Quote:

Mini-Replica is more likely the route that project will take.
... and by that, I mean I'd be expecting to cut most of the floor out and replace it with a DIY ladder-frame. Not sure if I'd make it FWD, RWD, or AWD, yet ... I guess that depends on the budget when I get there. I'm biased to RWD, but I've had all the car-based options in my lifetime(I say that because I have only ever had 2WD trucks).
I'd be all for a track-able caged setup too, but that would push it out of some of the other criterion that I'd like it meet for an around town car.
FWD would be cool for tradition, while RWD would be eventually the easiest to do not just due to parts availability but also eventually allowing you to clear the original engine compartment in order to increase leg room on the front seats. You know, could eventually resort to the rear unit out of those Toyota and Lexus hybrid SUVs, or maybe try some hub-motors. IIRC there was a version of the smart ForTwo turned into a hybrid by Brabus which relied on hub-motors integrated to the rear drum brakes which were adapted instead of the stock disc brakes - sounds like a step backwards when it comes to braking technology, but sure it was a clever space-saving measure.

I'm just not so sure if cutting a stock classic Mini would be a good idea at all, due to their historical value. But anyway, even though hybrids haven't been my cup of tea (die-hard dieselhead who nearly had physical altercations with hybrid enthusiasts when younger), maybe you eventually feel inspired to convert one into a hybrid and shoehorn the drivetrain out of a Prius C into that. At least it would still have an ICE, and since there were classic Minis fitted with automatic transmission it wouldn't feel so weird at all if you took it to classic car shows :D

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...uck-34935.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...wap-33459.html

Quote:

The couple I've seen, or worked on, around here were of the Austin variety. I haven't had the opportunity to find the differences between the originals and what I believe was a Mexican-manufactured vehicle(VIN said it was a 1997 for the one I worked on).
'97 were still British. I don't know if the Mini had ever been made in Mexico, but there was Venezuelan version with a locally-made fiberglass body which had British subframes attached to.