EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   introduction 99 civic lx (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/introduction-99-civic-lx-26484.html)

libertyfrancis1 07-25-2013 01:25 PM

introduction 99 civic lx

Hello new to the forum as a member but have been looking at it for about 1 year.
Love having a fuel effiecient car and saving money. Heres some info on my car and the current progress.

Bought my 99' Civic LX 5-speed 215,000 miles from a guy here in Dallas 3 months ago. I picked out the 96-01 civic on purpose because they are in my opinion the best engine/trans ever made just a great all around car if you dont mind 106hp.

I had asked the guy what sort of fuel economy he was getting during the test drive and he said about 20-21 city and like 28-30 highway, i figured the guy didnt know how to record fuel economy because those are low numbers.

I get the car and tried driving as slow as possible shifting early and engine off coasting on some down hills on the way to work. I was shocked when i recorded by fuel economy at 25mpg (city only driving)
The car ran a little rough so it was time for a tune up.(planning on keeping the car forever i spent some money on this)
-New distributor
-New plugs and wires
-New injectors
-set ignition timing slightly advanced.
-tires up to 40psi
-Garden edging front lip
Instantly went up to 32-34mpg (city only) (this is 100degree texas with a/c on) (also no engine off coasting in this heat! :) )

Anxious for future mods and better improving the economy. Will be taking a long drive to denver in september and will get a chance to record some highway economy numbers.
my goals are around 40 city and 50 highway with retaining driveablility and oem functions retained (p.s. and a/c)

cbaber 07-25-2013 01:50 PM

Welcome!

I would suggest replacing the fuel filter as well if you haven't already. And make sure the air cleaner is clean. Those are very cheap, easy, and good insurance to make sure your car is running at its peak condition.

Do you have any instrumentation at the moment?

Daox 07-25-2013 02:04 PM

Congrats on the new car and fixing it up AND modding it. :) Looks like you're off to a great start. I agree with cbaber, instrumentation like a SG would be a very good thing.

PaleMelanesian 07-25-2013 03:01 PM

Nice car! Basically the same as my old one, except for interior "features".

libertyfrancis1 07-25-2013 04:35 PM

No instrumentation yet i am planning on getting a scan guage, if i can convince the wifey i need it :)

Going to be selling my yamaha banshee with a gsxr 750 motor (death machine) pretty soon which will fund some bigger mods for the car!

PaleMelanesian 07-25-2013 10:52 PM

My Civic was mostly stock, except for grill block, Scangauge and tire pressure. Scangauge is THE most useful of those three things. Glad to see you considering one.