Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
ecl
EcoModding Lurker

camry - '87 toyota camry le
90 day: 30.94 mpg (US)
HHR owner looking to increase mileage

Hi there Ive owned my HHR for about a year and half now and looking to increase my mpgs. Ive been looking around for awhile now so figure i would post up. A little about me im 23 and getting married in 21 days. With all these added expense ive been trying to get all the mileage I can since we've been doing alot of driving about 500 round trip every other week or so, from were we live to her parents place for planning. Also im new to the modding scene just the ecomodding. Any ways the car is an 08 Chevy HHR and im getting roughly 28-30mpg on the freeway and about 25 in town. Hopefully can add a few things to up that. Heres a pic of the HHR

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Get that little wing off the back firstly

Welcome to ecomodder!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
ecl -

Welcome to EM! Once you have your Garage entry set up, you should drive normally to establish a few baseline tanks. That will allow you to compare what changes work best for your car.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
There was one of these back where I used to live with smoothies on it. It was pretty sweet looking, but I never got around to talk to the owner about whether they did it for looks, style, something else, or just to get better aero.

That winglet might not be quite as horrible as many suspect, although I doubt it's helping the matter at all.

If you're looking to go all out aero-modding, starting out with a belly pan will help you with noise, aero drag reduction, and keeping the underside of your (still fairly new) ride clean!

Assuming you're still making payments on it, you'll obviously want everything you do to be reversible, at the least, and still have a decent impact, right? Good! Mod the driver!

Go through the list of 100+ Hypermiling Tips and see what you can do for YOU!

Welcome to EM, and happy modding!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
ecl
EcoModding Lurker

camry - '87 toyota camry le
90 day: 30.94 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
There was one of these back where I used to live with smoothies on it. It was pretty sweet looking, but I never got around to talk to the owner about whether they did it for looks, style, something else, or just to get better aero.

That winglet might not be quite as horrible as many suspect, although I doubt it's helping the matter at all.

If you're looking to go all out aero-modding, starting out with a belly pan will help you with noise, aero drag reduction, and keeping the underside of your (still fairly new) ride clean!

Assuming you're still making payments on it, you'll obviously want everything you do to be reversible, at the least, and still have a decent impact, right? Good! Mod the driver!

Go through the list of 100+ Hypermiling Tips and see what you can do for YOU!

Welcome to EM, and happy modding!

Yeah theres Ive seen a few with the smooth caps mainly for the looks since its a vehicle based off the 49 Suburban. The caps are available a few place along with rear skirts, at first I was into the look but heck for the savings I buy pass the look for the most part. The main concern now is cost they're asking quite a bit for the skirts, not sure on the smoothies never really looked into those, so Im trying to find cheaper alternitives or so DIY jobs. Been looking around a bit and have found some good info so hopefully soon I could something going. As far as the wing its saying for awhile since it was a costly extra which I dont regret, so maybe in the long run itll come off but we'll have to see on that one, plus the rear just doesnt look right with out it. Then again that kinda thinking isnt going to help getting the best fuel mileage is it?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
It doesn't cost a thing to hypermile. The best things you can do for mileage are slow down, and accelerate slowly. I used to get 26 mpg on my Sentra at 72 mph. It improved to 32 mpg at 62 mph, and to 38 mpg at 55 mph.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Reply  Post New Thread