EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Irene is Coming--HiHy to the rescue? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/irene-coming-hihy-rescue-18637.html)

Sovereign 08-26-2011 01:56 PM

Irene is Coming--HiHy to the rescue?

I read about some guy powering his house off his Prius. Unfortunately, the Grey Lady was light on details (type of inverter, how much installation work had to be done, etc.)

Is this something that can be done by plugging a big inverter into the 12v cigarette outlet, or is it more involved?

TL;DR--Hurricane headed for the East Coast, want to use my hybrid to keep my power on.

user removed 08-26-2011 02:35 PM

Cigarette lighter circuit would not handle much as far as loads. I am going to see if a 750 watt 6.5 amp inverter will run my sewage grinder pump.

regards
Mech

jakobnev 08-26-2011 02:47 PM

Many devices with a switched power supply can actually be run with straight DC at HIHY-pack voltages. (But use at your own risk)

gone-ot 08-26-2011 03:52 PM

...an electrical relationship to remember:

120VAC(rms) = 170V(peak)

...which puts the "switched" DC voltage closer to 208VAC or 220VAC numbers

metroschultz 08-27-2011 02:57 PM

I ran a small (1500w) inverter from my Metro during Isabel. Enough for some fans and small lights and the TV. Gotta have TV.
Wired to the battery directly. BTW, a Metro will run for almost a day and a half at just above idle.
Now we have a whole house generator.
So, a bigger inverter wired to the Hybrid battery would do well. Watch your voltages.

Currently looking at 45 to 55 mph winds and torrential rain.
Worst is still 4 hours away.
Expecting 7' to 8' storm surge coupled with mean high tide. Isabel was 10'.
Had some tornadoes in the area when one of the stronger bands came through @ 10:30 a.m.
Lost a boater in NC.

Ford Man 08-27-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metroschultz (Post 258316)
I ran a small (1500w) inverter from my Metro during Isabel. Enough for some fans and small lights and the TV. Gotta have TV.
Wired to the battery directly. BTW, a Metro will run for almost a day and a half at just above idle.
Now we have a whole house generator.
So, a bigger inverter wired to the Hybrid battery would do well. Watch your voltages.

Currently looking at 45 to 55 mph winds and torrential rain.
Worst is still 4 hours away.
Expecting 7' to 8' storm surge coupled with mean high tide. Isabel was 10'.
Had some tornadoes in the area when one of the stronger bands came through @ 10:30 a.m.
Lost a boater in NC.

Thanks for the update on the conditions at Virginia Beach. I have a brother that lives in that area.

metroschultz 08-27-2011 05:53 PM

Update

We lost a 9 year old boy.
He was playing in his upstairs bedroom when the wind knocked down a tree.
The tree went through his bedroom and had enough force to continue to the ground floor.
Missed his mother and infant sister by a few feet.
Pray for him and his family.

Took a little drive a while ago.
Nothing spectacular yet,
downed trees,
a trampoline in the road,
downed light pole at the mall,
general pruning of the weak/dry/loose branches and leaves.

be more soon, 50 to 70 mph gusts now.
eye is just (4miles) east and south (10 miles) of my house.
headed off shore so this is the worst I will personally see, it will continue for an hour or so.
lights flickered,
gtg

RH77 08-27-2011 10:30 PM

I know a guy who powered his house in a St. Louis Winter outage, with a mid-90's Miata, 1000-Watt inverter and a little extra idle speed. It generated for close to 30 hours and used something like 4-5 gallons. A natural gas fireplace offered heat, but the "Mazdinverter" ran whatever else was asked of it.

Any car can really become a household generator, with the right equipment. What you really need is a hybrid transit bus with a grid return hookup to power the neighborhood (actually used in the California rolling blackouts a few years back).

-RH77