EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Issues With ScanGauge II (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/issues-scangauge-ii-29673.html)

dirtydave 08-07-2014 01:37 PM

Issues With ScanGauge II

My Scan Gauge doesn't record data when the engine is off and has trouble restarting.

I kill the engine with a kill switch on the IGN fuse.
ScanGauge is V4.02

Watch this video because it is hard to explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k10jLO9ZaZ4

This was just after a reset of all settings. not calibrated or any settings changed.

After many kills and starts of the engine as I have shown both key starts and bump starts.

It will not restart now on its own after the final shutdown at the end of the video until I either keep unplugging it or giving it a certain amount of time to reconnect. over several more stops and starts of the engine it might reconnect.

MetroMPG 08-07-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

My Scan Gauge doesn't record data when the engine is off
Is this true all the time, independent/regardless of the restarting issue?

dirtydave 08-07-2014 04:15 PM

yes all the time.

MetroMPG 08-07-2014 09:32 PM

Just a hunch, but it sounds like the same issue I had with my Firefly/Metro.

The gauge doesn't like being interrupted by the ign kill switch - it has to do with the communication protocol of your OBD-II.

To confirm: purposely stall the car (eg. dump the clutch in 5th gear at a crawl) at the top of a hill or something, where you can then release and keep rolling (with the engine off). My bet is the gauge stays active and keeps showing speed & mpg, etc.

If that happens, you just need to figure out a different way to wire your kill switch (spark or fuel, but not key circuit).

dirtydave 08-08-2014 09:15 AM

It took me a while to find a place that I could stall it and keep rolling but you are correct.

MPH changes
RPM changes to zero
MPG changes to 9999
Now only to figure out how to make another kill switch.

Thanks for the help. I knew someone would know how to fix it.

MetroMPG 08-08-2014 09:51 AM

Woohoo!

Glad to help.

Believe it or not, before I figured this on on my car I actually avoided engine-off coasting because I wanted the gauge results to be accurate. This was years ago, pre-EcoModder with a ScanGauge I.

And obviously this was before I had fully grasped how big an impact infinite MPG had on trip/tank average. :)

dirtydave 08-08-2014 09:58 AM

I love to EOC and the idea of infinite MPG. I try to do it as much as possible. It would help a lot if I can get the ScanGauge to be accurate.

Searching the forums for another kill switch method. I need to get this issue fixed now that I am starting aeromods I need to test.

dirtydave 08-08-2014 11:48 AM

It seems that switching from the IGN fuse to the INJ fuse has worked and after setting the scangauge on hybrid mode it all looks like it should. It even reads TPS when the engine is off something it never did before. Looks like I now have a Scangauge that works. I will do a fill up in the next few days and reset it again so it can be calibrated.

This is awesome. now it says 9999 on the dash when I EOC I know it should have already but it is really cool to see it! I wish it had ∞ but 9999 is good enough!!

Thank you MetroMPG. Always such a great help with everyone's questions.

MetroMPG 08-08-2014 12:12 PM

That's great - excellent to find a quick fix. Now you can really enjoy the game gauge!

jedi_sol 08-08-2014 06:54 PM

so if i switch to "hybrid" mode...mpg will show 9999 during eoc?

I've been trying to figure out why mpg only displays 600mpg when i eoc

MetroMPG 08-09-2014 06:52 AM

Hybrid mode just prevents the SG from going to sleep if the engine has been off for a little while. Anyone who does engine-off at long stops or while coasting should set their fuel type to "hybrid".

Not sure why yours shows 600 with the engine off -- do the other values read correctly (eg. speed? RPM?)

jedi_sol 08-09-2014 12:18 PM

Ok, that makes sense.

My issue with sg2 is that it does not display 9999 when I eoc.

Instead, it reads (mph x 100mpg). Example, coasting from 65mph down to 55mph, the mpg displays 650mpg down to 550mpg. Thus it will "under report" the tank average mpg.

My kill switch is on the crankshaft position sensor.

dirtydave 08-09-2014 07:50 PM

My scangauge is still acting up and will show 9999 when stopped at a light.

Thinking about a MPGuino more and more everyday.

Baltothewolf 08-09-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 439224)
My scangauge is still acting up and will show 9999 when stopped at a light.

Thinking about a MPGuino more and more everyday.

I have been highly considering hooking mine up to my civic lately. I'm tired of UG being off by ~8%. I just wish I could find a guide for the 96-98 civic.

dirtydave 08-10-2014 09:26 AM

Where did you get one? I should learn to make my own.

I just want something accurate !! GRRR!!