EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   It's back! (Lazarus CRX returns from ashes) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/its-back-lazarus-crx-returns-ashes-26876.html)

aerohead 09-07-2013 01:38 PM

It's back! (Lazarus CRX returns from ashes)

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/...ead2/Honda.jpg
T-100's been dead since the last week of March so I reinstated the Honda as my daily-driver.
9-years of languishing in the Texas climate wasn't kind at all to the car,but she's running and I've been able to work after 4-months with zero income.
At 347,000-miles she's getting mpg figures in line with previous years.
The boat-tail was reclaimed by nature long ago,but I have the remains of the nose,front wheelhouse gap-fillers,bellypan,rocker panel extensions,and rear skirts.
I went scavenging yesterday at CTC's Auto Ranch north of Denton (shopping site for Billy Gibbons) and found a "jet turbine inlet" center grille section from a '49 Ford which has the perfect inside diameter for an ideal Walter Korff cooling system inlet duct,based upon the CRX radiator dimensions.
I'll reconfigure the nose fascia to accept the new torus and fabricate the offset diverging round-to-rectangular duct transition.I'll be able to do the 'NFL' bullet-valve with this design.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
It remains too hot to do composites,but perhaps by October I can think about doing some wet layups.
The new aft-body will be 'better' than what I lost.Lighter and longer and with a wrinkle I've waited over 20-years to try out.
I'll be able to re-visit the 1-wheel trailer project and get some closure with that as well.
With only 18.5 sq-ft projected frontal area I might get a good Cd measured at the new Darko tunnel in Ogden,Utah.It would be on the way to Bonneville and my brother's home in Carson City,Nevada.For what they're asking,it would actually be cheaper than what I paid CAR and DRIVER for top speed and coastdown testing back in 1991.:)

freebeard 09-08-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

I'll be able to do the 'NFL' bullet-valve with this design ... and with a wrinkle I've waited over 20-years to try out.
There are some things I look forward to seeing.

jeff88 09-08-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 389273)
T-100's been dead since the last week of March

Are you talking about your profile pic truck? I think we need an ecomodder museum with that truck in it. :D

MetroMPG 09-09-2013 10:10 AM

This should be fun.

Phil - what happened to the truck? I must have missed that.

BamZipPow 09-09-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 389499)
This should be fun.

Phil - what happened to the truck? I must have missed that.

I think it didn't want to start one day. Turned over but didn't fire. Could be ignition or fuel. It's been sitting at his mechanic's shop since. :(

aerohead 09-09-2013 05:13 PM

museum

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff88 (Post 389396)
Are you talking about your profile pic truck? I think we need an ecomodder museum with that truck in it. :D

I've got to have the ubiguitous (sp?) million miles on her before I can think of retiring her.:D

aerohead 09-09-2013 05:28 PM

T-100

Yes,I was up the highway feeding a friend's cats the last week in March and she failed to restart.
'Had it towed up to Sanger to a shop (former Toyota tech)where it's been bio-degrading.
Marvin,who's actually a fine mechanic,is pretty certain it's the tank-mounted fuel pump which is fried.At 237,000 miles it's certainly authorized to die!
It's been very hot,with heat index especially,and Marvin would like to wait for the heat to break a bit before he gets under there.Don't blame him a bit.
No other shop would consider working on it without me first removing every bit of the streamlining package.With my stomach the way it is I could hardly bare to hear that.
I've had the hernia for 18-months and didn't want to take that project on.I go in the 21st for surgery.
With the Honda running,it's taken urgency away from getting the truck running.:)

deejaaa 09-09-2013 06:14 PM

good luck. look forward to the buildup.

MetroMPG 09-09-2013 09:16 PM

Good luck on the hernia fix too. I had one - they're no fun!

War_Wagon 09-09-2013 09:28 PM

Sorry, I just coughed some beer out my nose when I read this - 347,000 miles? Cripes that's like 558,000 kms! That is so cool! I really dig seeing these old eco rides being kept alive, people just don't seem to get how long lasting they can be. Good luck!