EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   I've lurked here for months. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ive-lurked-here-months-22957.html)

freebeard 08-17-2012 01:02 AM

I've lurked here for months.

In February I promised myself that when a car I need to sell sold, I would reward myself by registering here. So now it's August and my new plan is the see if the car hasn't sold because of my promise to myself. (Unpossible? Then you must live in an non-mysterious world)

So I'm down from 7 cars to 5 and I'm headed toward four. Here's the list:

1971 VW 1302 (the flat-screen Superbeetle), the driver. My goal here is Prius-like mileage (42-45 mpg) and I think I have a credible plan.

1961 VW Type II panel van, in mid-restoration. I have a karcey-style mileage motor sitting on the bench. (Had it built before HVWs started their Mileage Motor series)

1964 Clark Cortez motor home, don't ask me why, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I mean--a motor home with a chrome 4-speed floor shift. What's not to like, the 9000 pound weight with a 225" slant six?

1958 VW Beetle, a baja'd body on a 1971 standard pan. I can't post pics yet, but I managed to slip one through. It should appear to you upper left. It doesn't look like that yet.

I'm going to be posting in the forums to solicit opinions on which of these present the best opportunity.

euromodder 08-17-2012 06:11 AM

Welcome to ecomodder.

What's the plan on the driver-Beetle ?
They weren't exactly known for their fuel economy back in the days.

freebeard 08-17-2012 07:22 AM

Thanks for asking, it will push me along toward 5+ posts. Then I can show more.

Poor mileage? As they say on the Internet, "Challenge accepted." Plus which, I bought my first VW in 1968. The motorhome is the only water-cooled vehicle I've owned since. I wouldn't expect 80+ mpg, but it would be nice to be able to hold my head up around my Prius driving friends.

I've followed the 'Aeromodability of a VW Bug?' thread. And compared to gtkid2002, I think I'm pretty well positioned. My cash flow is sucking rather than blowing right now, but I've completed the suspension work, and deleted the AM antenna. Next up would be a custom Class I receiver hitch. Or not, maybe remove the stock bumper and build a crushable boat-tail.

In any case, I have a commercial 3D model of a Beetle and I've created primitives for The Template, left- and right-handed vortexes and a cone defining the view out the back window. so I can show my thought. Only later, it's 4am here.

scivicblu83 08-17-2012 07:45 AM

Welcome to ecomodder . is your avatar the picture of the aero beetle you write about? if so, i thought the front wheels could use general aviation style wheel pants. i like how the back wheels are tucked in also!

MetroMPG 08-17-2012 09:01 AM

Agreed - intriguing image in the avatar. Also agreed on the wheel pants - Aptera approach:

http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/...ptera-ed02.jpg

Of course the big challenge is going to be dealing with the wicked roof/body curvature at the rear, but sounds like you've got a plan.

Welcome to the forum!

freebeard 08-17-2012 02:20 PM

My reply to euromodder was about the driver, my 9171 Superbeetle. The model in the profile pic is a model I made around 1995, so it's in plastic instead of 3D. Basically, I took a Beetle body and a wheel and tire set from an AA-Fuel dragster and mashed them together. At the time I was thinking of a race car, but currently it's called the eRat.

scivicblu83 -- I'm not lazy, I'm just economical with my efforts. If the model were brought up to date, you would see the front wheel treatment. 15" moon disks on the outside, and 18-20" Moon disks with a recess hammered into it that are sandwiched between the spindle and brakes on the backside--that carry a carbon fiber or aluminum cycle fender. Those front torsion bar housings are cantilevered airfoils.

Shortening the rear axles is standard race-car practice. I think you can go 1 1/2" per side with stock parts.

metroMPG -- The plan is to simply truncate the body and make it a Kammback. With the Superbeetle I will be showing speculative boat-tails.

[hmm, forum software won't allow this post. I logged out and back in, this is try #2]

freebeard 08-17-2012 02:22 PM

eh, 9171 = 1971. Fifth post!

Weather Spotter 08-17-2012 03:21 PM

looks like you have a plan, will await developments!

freebeard 08-17-2012 07:08 PM

You and me both. The car I am trying to sell was at $3000 in April and is down to $2000 today. I just talked to a car dealer, and he would expect to sell it at $1500-2000 so he offered $500. He did say that $1500 is a 'majic' number and if I price it there it will sell immediately. I'm picturing $100 bills with little wings on them.

I should say that you'll probably see more talk than action from me, at least at first. As soon as I pick a place to drop images online, I'll start that.

freebeard 08-17-2012 08:56 PM

This is a test to see how the forum software handles in-lining graphics.

Here's #1, a drawing I did in 1968. Myers Manx bodies with Plymouth Barracuda backlights for a canopy. Both sides hinged and and handled like Buicks in the 40s or International trucks in the 50's, crank both handles and it comes right off. The coil spring to hold up the gull wing is because I'd never heard of gas struts.

http://i.imgur.com/3Hsbt.jpg

Here's #2. This is my current ride. I call you attention to the bike rack on the back. I replaced the OEM U-bolts with custom additions to the bumper bracket. I could easily carry the weight and aero forces of a boat-tail. Or just a canvas Kammback.

http://i.imgur.com/9FtXK.jpg

And then some text to finish off. I intend to create one thread for each vehicle. When I get to the motor home it will blow your mind. The progression is Class-A'brick' motorhome=>rat rod flat-bed truck=>3-wheel rat rod flat-bed truck=>The Template with an open cockpit for the driver.