EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   jeasus veg oil is going for $0.75 (£0.5) a litre on ebay! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/jeasus-veg-oil-going-0-75-0-5-a-12973.html)

modmonster 04-16-2010 07:25 AM

jeasus veg oil is going for $0.75 (£0.5) a litre on ebay!

hi

title says it all really. i used to make biodiesel 4 years ago and it was free, now we have to pay £0.5/litre on ebay! i must be getting old

ShadeTreeMech 04-16-2010 08:43 AM

Out here in the States there has been a bit of a ruckus over people competing to get the veggie oil from the shops. Seems there's more demand than supply so some places make you pay for it.

MadisonMPG 04-16-2010 09:15 AM

Hey, if those WVO guys were smart, they wouldn't get it from the shops that charged them for a while. Then, once they had to start paying someone to pick it up again, start taking it back from them.

colonelk 04-16-2010 03:40 PM

yeah, having gotten my first diesel recently Ive been looking around, but all the local places have people who take it away (or pay) already.

I remember when SVO was 50p a litre! Never mind waste.

Crazy!

Ryland 04-16-2010 06:10 PM

If you ask a restorant for free oil they will not give it to you because they have a contract already with the collection company that hauls it away, that company wants 100% of what they can get because they use the oil for pet food and makeup and other things, if you ask that restorant to give you their used oil they are going to want you to take 100% of it for at least a year, otherwise they are going to be charged to cancel their contract and if you stop taking their oil they are most likely going to have to pay a higher rate to sign a new contract to get their waste oil taken away.
If you are smart and can handle collecting oil when it needs to be collected then I'm sure that you can get it for free, much more then you need, so what are you going to do with the extra? spend more time finding people to give it to? you might spend 2-3 hours a week hauling this stuff around storing it and finding people to take it, do you want to get paid for your time?
I'd be willing to pay someone to deal with all of that just so I could get a few gallons per month.
Just like a friend of mine got some free rain barrels, 35 of them, more then he needs but he had to take all of them so he's selling them for $5 each to pay for his hauling and cleaning.

rmay635703 04-17-2010 10:18 AM

On and off I can buy brand new oil at the grocery store for $4 a gallon, odd that used is about the same as the crappy stuff from the store.

Ryland 04-17-2010 10:26 AM

Also, just because someone is asking a dollar amount for something, doesn't mean anyone is buying it.
If someone really is buying it from them, then good!

colonelk 04-18-2010 05:38 PM

I asked people who I knew, they run small local places, so small amounts of oil, but some other locals in the village are already collecting :)