Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Found mine

Today was a very good day after finally finding a VX.

'95 with 110K on the engine and an almost entirely rust-free body. The interior is in very good shape as well. The only major issue is the transmission will need to be replaced soon. So after lurking on this site for quite a while and almost giving up on finding a decent and affordable example, one landed right in my lap; I'm picking it up tomorrow!

1. Am I correct that all VX models came with the arrow/upshift light or just the 'federal' version? I did notice the upshift light today;very cool.
2. Do all VX's have the 'econo' light in the dash or am I thinking of only the models that have the 3-stage V-TEC ?
3. There is one dash light that I can't identify above the right turn signal indicator.

Anyway, I'm anxious to clean her up, change to synthetic oil...! Tomorrow will be fun.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
What issues are you having with the transmission? I bought my VX a transmission a few years ago (lasted 235,000 miles) for $150 from a junk yard on car-part.com and it was pretty easy to swap, took about 7 hours, installing the new one I needed the help of another person and I've been very pleased running 0W30 motor oil in both the engine and transmission, but Honda sells a MTF now that I've read is even better for the transmission and I think can be left in there for more then two years.
I'm pretty sure that the upshift light is only on non CA models, the other two lights I've never seen on either of the two VX's I've owned.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1.Pops out of gear most of the time in 5th when I take my foot off the throttle.
2. Can't get it in 4th gear @ all.
3. Needs LOTS of effort getting into 3rd and 5th gear. I was told the throwout bearing and possibly the transmission mount is bad. At this point mechanically that is over my head; have to pay someone.

Yeah, I think I remember reading the JDM Civic VTi w/ 3-stage VTEC had that 'econo' light. I pick it up in 2 hrs!!@
Old 05-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Enthusiast

Yes, it would be better to replace that transmission. It's got failing retainers and probably very worn synchros. It's not that hard to replace the internal parts once the transmission is out, but on a cost basis the parts alone would be about $200-250.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the specifics on the tranny. So you're thinking $200-250 parts alone?

1.How much time do you think a professional mechanic who specializes in Japanese makes would need?
2.Am I looking at $500 in labor?
3. Any sites that you or anyone else recommend for parts?

I'm so paranoid someone is going to try and sell me a dx or cx tranny just because it will fit.

It's funny, my first car was an '89 Civic DX hatch that drove flawlessly until 379K; and from there I sold it to a guy at Tire Discounters and have since found out it has surpassed 500K on the original engine. I am not surprised! I say it's funny because the VX reminds me of that 89 hatch in lots of ways, but of course it does everything better.

I can't wait to get the tranny replaced and see what she does mpg-wise on the first tank.
I'd like to get this transmission done right now and hopefully it will last another 100-150K miles.

Last edited by 379Kcivic; 05-27-2011 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: sentence structure
Old 05-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 379Kcivic View Post
for parts?

I'm so paranoid someone is going to try and sell me a dx or cx tranny just because it will fit.
Then tell them that, tho the CX transmission is the same as the VX, but you don't want a DX or SI, but when you take it in make sure to tell them that you want the correct VX/CX transmission and that with that it should run around 2,000rpm going 65mph in 5th gear, take the car for a test drive before paying them if it is not right then don't pay them, that simple, but be clear with them before you have the work done, otherwise put your zip code in car-part.com and see what your options are to buy, pick it up your self if you want to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
379Kcivic (05-27-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

welcome to em
Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks.

It's funny, people who are not mpg or Honda-freaks don't have a clue as to what this car is capable of mpg-wise. I'm anxious to getting her up to speed.

Reply  Post New Thread