EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Just got a new car (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/just-got-new-car-18748.html)

tzar 09-07-2011 05:08 PM

Just got a new car

Hi everyone!
I just got a brand new 2011 Toyota Rav4 v6 4WD. It uses 5W-30 oil.
Now, I just went through my first tank of gas, and I am not impressed with the millage.

I am new to ecomodding, but so far I am planning to use a full synthetic oil for the winter time (I am in Toronto, gets to -30C here). Also, I will get a engine block heater.

I will also try and find an ethanol free gas station, but that will be hard.

What are some other ways to improve the MPG?

Thanks !:)

Frank Lee 09-07-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Get rid of it while you can and get a car? There was a fuel economy sticker in the window right? Seriously, the Toyota nameplate doesn't give a vehicle good mileage; it's the mechanicals and aero package that does it.

Mustang Dave 09-07-2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzar (Post 260010)

Adjust the nut behind the steering wheel. Speaking from experience.

On edit, what are you getting out of it? Please post a fuel log.

tzar 09-08-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Dave (Post 260050)
Adjust the nut behind the steering wheel. Speaking from experience.

On edit, what are you getting out of it? Please post a fuel log.

I just fueled up once. I went about 460km and put fueled up 49 liters. Dealership gave me the initial fuel up. It also has to break in.

I was wondering, has anyone considered heating up the fuel line, or the fuel tank?

California98Civic 09-08-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzar (Post 260010)
Hi everyone!
I just got a brand new 2011 Toyota Rav4 v6 4WD. It uses 5W-30 oil.
Now, I just went through my first tank of gas, and I am not impressed with the millage.

I am new to ecomodding, but so far I am planning to use a full synthetic oil for the winter time (I am in Toronto, gets to -30C here). Also, I will get a engine block heater.

I will also try and find an ethanol free gas station, but that will be hard.

Thanks !:)

Get a scangauge or ultragauge ASAP. Live monitoring of instant, trip, and longterm fuel economy changes how you drive. It will pay for itself soon! For basic aero improvements that are proven to give results: homemade lawn-edging airdam, homemade tonneau bed cover, homeade coraplast grill block. Look-up each of these terms in the ecomodder search engine and you will find results that will benefit FE, I promise. Also use the synthetic oil in the winter too. Consider disconnecting the AC belt during the cool autumn months before snow and frost appears on your windows. That AC compressor is an FE drag even when it is off. But, immediately you can study the EM list of proven "nut behind the wheel" adjustments through hypermiling and make significant gains very soon if not right away, depending on your skill with the technique.

Good luck. Start a fuel log here at EM... that kind of record helps too.

BTW, I hope this helps, but if it doesn't, please blame Frank Lee. ;)

james

Frank Lee 09-08-2011 02:17 PM

A tonneau on an SUV? :confused: I don't think I'd goober up a brand new vehicle with some of those add-ons, and not using or even exercising the a/c for extended periods can lead to leaky seals plus the lack of dehumidifying in the winter.