EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Just peeking around (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/just-peeking-around-10829.html)

Corcis 11-01-2009 09:27 PM

Just peeking around

Hey everyone,

Just figured I'd give a nice, "Hi," to everyone here. I'm a broke college student considering an EV-on-the-cheap and stumbled into here. Still a long ways away from anything, but this looks like a trove of information. I sold my '94 Honda Accord a year or so ago and have been mostly-fine without it. I'd like a little in-town car for short trips, which seems to translate well to a cheap EV. Anywho, I'm off to poke around the conversion forums and start poking around Craigslist.

--Corcis

SentraSE-R 11-01-2009 09:35 PM

Welcome, Corcis. I wish you success in your quest.

MetroMPG 11-01-2009 09:54 PM

Hi Corcis -

Welcome to the site! Yes, more than a couple of cheap-o EV's hiding around here for inspiration & information.

We had a lot of fun making the ForkenSwift ... heck, it's still not really finished.

But I have to say that I often find myself thinking: "I don't really need this car!" And it's true! The vast majority of my local trips are by bicycle. And when Ivan has custody of the car, he uses it even less than I do.

The second nickname I have for it is "Electric Umbrella." It's basically a great alternative to the bike when the weather is crappy. Or for the rare occasions when I have to carry something bulky that won't fit easily on my bike's DIY cargo trailer. Or if I'm just feeling lazy.

Once the novelty starts to wear off, you might find yourself wondering if the expense of keeping a "short haul" electric car - energy, repairs, insurance, registration, etc. - are worth it.

Don't mean to discourage you if you're hankering for an interesting mechanical project - just something to keep in mind. Sounds like you're doing OK without a car!

Keep us posted.

Darin

Frank Lee 11-01-2009 09:59 PM

Metro- you made an electric pusher trailer for your bicycle right? Do you use it?

MetroMPG 11-01-2009 10:09 PM

Nope, never actually added power to the trailer. But I use it regularly - carried 100 lbs of marine batteries across town on my latest trip, last week.

FYI: Atomic Zombie has an example and video of an electric bike pusher trailer. His site seems to be down at the moment, but check Atomic Zombie if you're interested.

EDIT: link to his electric trailer page (link to vid at the bottom):

Frank Lee 11-01-2009 10:16 PM

Thanks... site is up now...

Corcis 11-01-2009 11:49 PM

Darin: I have access to a really nice transit system, several bikes (even a longtail), but there are still gaps in my needs. At night, the bus service is nigh-useless. Winter weather is heinous for utilitarian riding around here. I do short trips about every other night, 10mi or so, to pick a friend up from work. It's all stop and go, too - that will affect choice in electric motors and controllers, I'm sure.

Anyways, my objectives may or may not change. Checking out my possibilities.

MetroMPG 11-06-2009 09:37 PM

I bet it rains a bit in WA in the winter, too eh? :)

Hey - "gaps in my needs" - that's a great description of what the ForkenSwift fills for me. It's very far from a primary vehicle. Still fun to make, I still get a big kick out of driving it.

Last time I used it was this week for an 18 km round trip to pick up some bulky/awkward used aluminum tubing for the gas car's boattail project.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1257371217

Christ 11-07-2009 12:16 AM

Darin -

That pic looks like you're getting ready for the tail light extensions for a full boat tail? Kudos!

Corcis -

You may poll your school for "project funding" to help you build your car on scholarship. Often, there are unused funds "laying around" for just such an occasion, but you need to go through the proper channels to have access to it.