EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Just started my hypermiling experiments and having great success! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/just-started-my-hypermiling-experiments-having-great-success-10988.html)

TheOrchidThief 11-14-2009 09:54 PM

Just started my hypermiling experiments and having great success!

Hello... I have known about hypermiling for a few years now but never really paid it much attention for whatever reason (probably all of the drama caused by my marriage, which I am happy to say I am out of now) but I had read an article about it on Wisebread.com the other day (which is full of great tips and "life-hacks" of all kinds and I highly recommend taking a look over there if you feel so inclined.

Anywho, I drive an '05 Honda Civic VP with a standard transmission. The combined gas mileage of my civic is rated at 28MPG combined according to www.fueleconomy.gov which is pretty consistent with what I have been getting ~350 miles out of a 12.5 gallon tank.

As of this week I finally decided to dabble a bit. I began by filling my tires up to the maximum psi of 44 and towing the hypermilage line to the best of my ability. I bought myself a scan gague today and I am happy to say that I am now getting a solid 45 MPG! Tomorrow will be my first real highway test so I am anxious to see how my car performs on the highway.

I have really been enjoying reading about everyones modification projects particularly Andrew J's 5th generation civic hatchback thread (which I read from beginning to end) and am now half way through Paul and Sabrina's opensource DIY motor controller thread. I'm quite impressed. I actually do have quite a bit of practical electronics engineering experience myself.

I am quite baffled by the auto industry's inability (or unwillingness) to produce reasonably priced electronic and fuel efficient vehicles. I'm sure there are quite a few of you who are familiar with the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car?" If you haven't seen it I highly recommend checking it out. It is, however, very frustrating and it hurt my brain:mad:

Well I think I've rambled on long enough. Fantastic forum. I think I'm addicted.

cfg83 11-14-2009 10:05 PM

TheOrchidThief -

Welcome to EM! Glad to see you're already kicking butt.

CarloSW2

TheOrchidThief 11-14-2009 10:10 PM

Thanks!

I tend to evaluate things carefully before I undertake them, always looking to get the most "bang" for my buck/effort/time. I am a bit of a tinkerer by nature and always looking for various "projects" and experimenting with various things including finances, eating habits, furniture refinishing, bargain hunting, and now hypermiling.:thumbup:

TheOrchidThief 11-16-2009 09:26 AM

Now getting 50 MPG combined

Well after improving on my driving techniques I'm proud to say that I'm getting an overall MPG of 50! not too shabby for an unmodified civic. Encountered some traffic (for the steelers game) yesterday on my way through pittsburgh but didn't have to stop once and totally busted up those bottlenecks!

cfg83 11-16-2009 12:14 PM

TheOrchidThief -

Wow, talk about running (meagerly) on all four cylinders. What is your normal commute like?

CarloSW2

TheOrchidThief 11-16-2009 12:51 PM

My normal commute is only a little over five miles... I'm still at about half a tank of gas with 300 miles on the odometer confirming the data from my ScanGagueII. What a handy piece of equipment!