EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Justify to me Plz. Purchase of a Prius vs Fiesta. I think Fiesta wins hands down. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/justify-me-plz-purchase-prius-vs-fiesta-i-30103.html)

FordFiestaS 09-28-2014 03:19 PM

Justify to me Plz. Purchase of a Prius vs Fiesta. I think Fiesta wins hands down.

My Fiesta gets mileage quite close to that of a Prius.

How could I justify purchasing a new Prius and relinquishing my Fiesta?

I gather it's like $14k for my Fiesta and 24k + for the Prius. I'm all for saving money so if you Prius owners can tell me mathematically how the Prius is advantageous, I might go get one. Even if I add a manufacturers extended warranty for a couple thousand to ward off the "lower quality" argument, I just can't see it. Help me.

Thanks in advance for being precise in your replies, as generalities can be had anywhere.

Cobb 09-28-2014 04:02 PM

No, you are right. Back in 2000 you could still find a geo metro or a first gen insight for sale, but now the higher mpg cars are really inexpensive in relation to the hybrids on the market.

FordFiestaS 09-28-2014 04:31 PM

So why do people still spend so much to get in the end, so little economically & monetarily?

Seems like wasting your hard earned money, no?

Is it a status thing?

gone-ot 09-28-2014 04:48 PM

...because the Prius gets excellent FE during BOTH city/urban and highway use, whereas your Fiesta gets it high FE predominately only during highway use.

But, is it worth (ROI) the price difference...probably not, especially if you don't plan on keeping the vehicle long.

FordFiestaS 09-28-2014 05:28 PM

So again I ask why do folks buy the Prius if the math doesn't work out?

I'm sorry but my friends tell me I messed up buying the Fiesta... I don't believe them. I hope to be proven wrong as I love the ride of the Prius but don't want to throw my money away needlessly.

Cobb 09-28-2014 06:41 PM

I think Ford is finally on the ball with its eco boost vehicles. Too bad the Escape hybrid and mercury mariner didnt do much.

Now the tail pipe emissions maybe better on the prius. Most people do not seem concern about what comes out the pipe. :D

So, which new car did your friend buy? :cool:

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-28-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 447812)
Now the tail pipe emissions maybe better on the prius. Most people do not seem concern about what comes out the pipe. :D

As long as you don't consider the chimneys of a chemical industry where the battery raw materials are processed, and the exhaust stacks of a ship, as some sort of tailpipe-equivalent :p

redneck 09-28-2014 07:59 PM

Have you considered a Mitsubishi Mirage...???

Starts at $13,000.

Estimated MPG

34 city / 42 hwy

Warranty
Basic
60 months/60,000 miles

Powertrain
120 months/100,000 miles

Corrosion Perforation
84 months/100,000 miles

Roadside Assistance Coverage
60 months/unlimited distance

MetroMPG started another forum here for Mirage owners.

Home - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star Forum - MirageForum.com

One of the guys is pulling 63.1 mpg.

Mirage fuel economy log - MirageForum.com

I drove one, and liked it... :)

Cheap

Good warranty

Good mpg

>

Cobb 09-28-2014 08:21 PM

I thought it was only available in Canada and over seas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 447829)
Have you considered a Mitsubishi Mirage...???

user removed 09-28-2014 09:02 PM

Prius $.06 per mile in fuel cost.
My 2011 Fiesta $.07 per mile in fuel cost.
My 1992 Sentra $.08-9 per mile in fuel cost.

The Sentra cost me $300. I just did a little 274 mile road trip and got 41.5 MPG. The Fiesta would have pulled 50 on the same trip

My Fiesta with a salvage rebuilt title depreciated $2500 in 2.5 years and 27k miles ($83.33 a month).

In 100k miles a penny a mile is $1000 in fuel cost per 100k.

So you can never justify the additional cost of the newer vehicle. Either one compared to the Sentra, the depreciation far outweighs any fuel savings.

My brother owns a Prius and when he saw the mileage I was getting in my Fiesta he said, why own a Prius. With the same logic applied to the Fiesta compared to the Sentra the break even point is a long way down the road, too far to be justified comparing mileage alone. Total cost of ownership is the true comparison.

regards
mech