EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   khomo to michlin energy saver swap (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/khomo-michlin-energy-saver-swap-30585.html)

moonmonkey 11-27-2014 02:47 PM

khomo to michlin energy saver swap

i have over 6000 miles since the swap from a set of very bald kohmos (tire cords showing on two of them) so extremly worn out. i expected a drop in mileage from all i read about installing a brand new set of tires. didnt happen! from the first tank till present absolutely no drop. i think they might be helping just a little. i inflated both kohmos and michilens to 50 psi. after a few tens of thousands of miles the proof will be in the fuel logs i guess.

2000mc 11-28-2014 03:18 AM

Do you know what model kumho's were on it before?
I always like hearing tire feedback from those of you running higher mpgs where tire differences should show up more readily

Baltothewolf 11-28-2014 03:44 AM

Well, when I went from my 185/65R14 to 165/65R14 I went up 8mpg on the low side, and 15 on the high side. Tires make a huge, huge difference in mileage. Weight and RR I think play the biggest role, more so then actual tire size.

Edit: An example today, round trip going to work, on a good day when I hit all green lights I used get 51mpg max. Today, I got 54.7 and I wasn't even trying, hit most red lights and stopped to get something to eat.

oldtamiyaphile 11-28-2014 05:51 AM

I haven't used them recently, but at one point I had three cars on Kumho's (all dealer fitted) and they were all rubbish and frankly downright dangerous in the wet.

Not surprised that new Michellins beat/match them out of the box.

ksa8907 11-28-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 457409)
Well, when I went from my 185/65R14 to 165/65R14 I went up 8mpg on the low side, and 15 on the high side. Tires make a huge, huge difference in mileage. Weight and RR I think play the biggest role, more so then actual tire size.

Edit: An example today, round trip going to work, on a good day when I hit all green lights I used get 51mpg max. Today, I got 54.7 and I wasn't even trying, hit most red lights and stopped to get something to eat.

Are you correcting for the size difference? 10.8% reduction in actual miles driven.

moonmonkey 11-28-2014 10:33 PM

sorry 2000 , i dont remember the model of the kumhos, they were on the car from the dealership, they were ok tires as far as traction and wear , i got over 50 k out of them. but i love these energy saver a/s so far, ill post about them after a few more tens of thousands. of miles.

moonmonkey 09-26-2015 08:03 PM

30k on michelin energy savers

ok i now have 30000 miles on the michilen energy saver a/s tires. i have seen a slight uptick in mpg's. But not the 3 or 4 mpg the tire articles say. i figure i am getting between one and two more mpg. But the tires are great! quiet,comfortable, and they still look new! no real noticable tread wear. after 30k miles, i will buy a new set of them if the car lasts that long.

CapriRacer 09-27-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Well, when I went from my 185/65R14 to 165/65R14 .......

Is this on your Mustang? If so, this could be dangerous. Overloaded tires have been known to fail. Watch them very closely. It takes only a couple hundred miles between the first signs of a tread separation to a catastrophic failure.

First signs = bulges or a vibration.

Catastrophic failure = the tread and top belt come off, damaging the fender area, sometimes losing inflation, and the vehicle could go out of control! People have been killed when a tire fails like this.

user removed 09-27-2015 08:21 AM

Those tires would be on the 1st gen Insight. OE Re92s in 165x65x14 on the Insight bumped the mpg by 7, almost exactly the opposite of what I experienced on my 1st gen VX when I replaced the original tires.

regards
mech

cowmeat 09-27-2015 08:47 AM

My old Insight Turtle (Dr. Horrible in its new life under my son's ownership) has Michelin Energy Savers on it, and my new Insight Ron Burgundy has OEM Potenza RE92s, and I honestly don't see a difference in mpg, feel, etc . . . . . and since my son and I keep swapping places in the top ten Hybrid slots, I don't think the tires do as much as some people claim, unless maybe they're swapping some off-size for OEM.

matt36415 09-27-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Do you realise that your change in tyres means your speedo now reads 4% too fast - and therfore 4% more distance than you are really going. So you may not really have the improvement you think from the smaller tyres. Enter the 2 sizes into a tyre comparison site and you will see that your new tyres get less distance per rotation

TimV 09-27-2015 10:22 AM

On my SUV i swapped the worn out stock tires to anotcher brand of tires. Exacly same size, cause of the troubles i would have otherwise by the annual carinspection.

Gained something like 5mpg!

In europe all tires need to have this label:
http://www.pitstop-online.nl/cms_ima...75966_home.jpg

So it is easy to look at when choosing the right tire for your ride.

moonmonkey 07-14-2016 11:38 PM

revisiting my michilen energy saver tires life.

so now with over 42000 miles on the energy saver a/s tires i have continued to experience a slight increase in mpg over the kumos that were on my prius when i bought it. i am pretty sure the tread is only about 30% gone. so ,so far so good, good wet and dry traction ,not bad noise or comfort, ill check back in in another 10-15k.

moonmonkey 11-20-2016 11:20 PM

52 thousand on the energy saver a/s now

at 52k miles the tires are great! they look about 1/2 done on tread depth,, i have not rotated them in 20k miles and still no wobble ,no hop,, just smooth running. great tires!! if my car doesnt wear out first ill buy another set one day.
188 on car.

Daox 11-21-2016 10:02 AM

MoonMonkey that is awesome. How do they handle rain? I'd ask about snow but I see you're in Florida. :)

I so wish we had this here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimV (Post 494772)
In europe all tires need to have this label:
http://www.pitstop-online.nl/cms_ima...75966_home.jpg

So it is easy to look at when choosing the right tire for your ride.

Ecky 11-21-2016 11:20 AM

I'm on the fence about RE92's vs Energy Savers. The Michelins definitely last a lot longer, and though they're more expensive they're cheaper per mile, fuel economy difference is negligible for me but others report the RE92's as marginally better. The Michelins seem to be more noisy on my car. Handling difference isn't something I've noticed.

moonmonkey 12-18-2016 10:22 PM

mich a/s rain performance

sorry for the super long delay doax ,,but they are great in the rain and dry. i have no complaints about them. other than the cost to purchase.

sallen 12-19-2016 08:59 AM

Just my $0.02

I've run 8 (2 sets) of Energy Savers over 8000 miles and agree there was no 3-4% increase in MPG (even when corrected for size as they were narrower but a taller aspect than the tyres they replaced).

In my application tyre noise was much worse, and dry grip terrrible - even compared with the ditch-finders I had on before. That said, the ES's were 20mm narrower and the loss of grip was more progressive than the wider no-brand tyres.

I also must say they are very durable (the tread anyway). Of the 8 tyres I ran they died in the following ways:

5x deep cracking with significant tread left (they seem to crack with age rather than wear down);
1x popped a cord and went egg-shaped (much vibration happened);
2x survived and were on the car when I sold it.

They also have the benefit of being OEM equipment on lots of cars in Europe, so are cheap to find - usually on steel wheels when the owner has changed to some aftermarket alloys.

moonmonkey 07-13-2017 09:27 PM

70k check in on energy saver a/s

1 Attachment(s)
got almost 70,000 on my energy saver a/s tires ,,they are still great! i think i can squeak another 10k or so out of them, they have worn evenly even with being rotated only 3 times during their life, will buy another set for sure!!