EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Know anyone who's bought a motorcycle/scooter for MPG reasons? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/know-anyone-whos-bought-motorcycle-scooter-mpg-reasons-3378.html)

MetroMPG 06-27-2008 01:21 PM

Know anyone who's bought a motorcycle/scooter for MPG reasons?

You've probably seen the news reports about the dramatic spike in motorcycle & scooter sales. Know anyone who's bought one recently?

I know of two people: one guy in his 30's (got a vintage Honda 175 something something) and another retired guy (Piaggio scooter).

I warned Honda guy he'll probably offset his bicycle use more than anything.

The older guy will offset driving a V8 Cherokee around town.

Blue07CivicEX 06-27-2008 01:25 PM

I have been working on getting a motorcycle since before gas prices hit $2/gallon but I do know this summer I have final gotten around to scheduling the safety course and it's booked up 2 months in advance or more. This is different from last year when I looked at it and it was booked about 2 weeks in advance.

jamesqf 06-27-2008 02:48 PM

I'm just the opposite: I sold my last motorcycle a few years ago because I wasn't riding it much. That was mainly because I got a dog who went everywhere I went for fun, but also because the Insight gets much better mpg.

Blue07CivicEX 06-27-2008 03:37 PM

I am now a NY Motorcycle learner permit holder! Woot!

akcapeco 06-27-2008 04:27 PM

In 1995 after returning from Vietnam, I decided to get my first scooter: the Vietnamese made it look like such a natural thing to do, and I sensed that somethign was up with gas prices. Right after I bought my first scooter, Katrina hit and we had that "first" spike in fuel prices.

I kept developing my two wheeled skills til today -- I now ride a Suzuki Vstrom 650 to complement my Metro. The Vstrom gets slightly better fuel mileage than the Metro!

dcb 06-27-2008 04:44 PM

Yah, I got a motorcycle so I could blow the insights out of the water on MPG :)

silverknight 06-27-2008 05:09 PM

I bought my '04 Suzuki GS500F 2 years ago for fuel econ reasons. I get about 60MPG which is double my acura at roughly 30.

MechEngVT 06-30-2008 09:11 AM

I work with a guy who rode a scooter for a few months and claimed he saw 98 mpg. He'll be out of work for a couple of months while his femur heals and word is he wasn't even hit by anyone.

dcb 06-30-2008 09:59 AM

Yah, my friends mom ran over herself in her van. Like something out of monty python :) She didn't get anywhere near 98 mpg.

FastPlastic 06-30-2008 10:19 AM

I can't say I got my bike originally for MPG reasons. But now that I have it, I drive it as much as I can. It's a little bigger bike (750cc) but I can still push almost 2 1/2 times the mileage out of it then the Cherokee. Not sure with current prices it's "saving" me money, insurance is $600 a year, Plus tires are about $400 a set mounted. But I figure with the amount of riding I do with it it's at least not costing me any extra.