EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   L.A. City Council Votes to Remove Red-Light Cameras (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/l-city-council-votes-remove-red-light-cameras-18318.html)

wdb 07-28-2011 01:20 PM

L.A. City Council Votes to Remove Red-Light Cameras

They were unpopular, unenforced, and costing money.

L.A. City Council Votes to Remove Red-Light Cameras - NYTimes.com

gone-ot 07-28-2011 01:44 PM

...now, if only the Tucson City Council would read the NYTimes!

slowmover 07-28-2011 04:06 PM

Across the US yellow lights have been shortened with the connivance of politicians and bureaucrats looking for private sector higher paying jobs. As a result, accidents went up. A cry went up from the astro-turf wilderness about the slaughter on our roads. Ergo, cameras and huge revenues.

In Canada the yellow light was lengthened slightly, and there is a momentary pause before the lights change to the next configuration. Accident reduction.

gone-ot 07-28-2011 04:41 PM

...as always there's a three-way probability: (1) the RIGHT way; (2) the WRONG way; and (3) the GOVERNMENT (city/state/federal) way...in that descending order!

Frank Lee 08-24-2011 01:50 PM

Houston turning off red light cameras as it works to avoid paying millions in legal fight | StarTribune.com

Quote:

HOUSTON - Houston authorities leaders have voted to permanently turn off the city's red light cameras.

Houston City Council approved a resolution Wednesday removing the cameras and canceling the program's contract, some nine months after residents voted for them to be shut off.

The resolution also allows the city to either reach a reasonable settlement with the camera vendor to settle the program's contract or take the case to court.

The company that runs the program has said that canceling the contract will mean the city will have to pay up to $25 million in damages.

Mayor Annise Parker says the city is hoping to settle the contract through mediation and avoid litigation. She told council members that both sides are still far apart.
bwwaahahahaha!

wdb 08-25-2011 05:55 PM

^ Proof positive that the darn things were intended to be revenue generators first and foremost. Grrr.

Arragonis 08-27-2011 05:08 PM

OK - how do people here propose that red-light "jumpers" or "runners" be caught ?

(I am not in favour of these cameras, I want accidents caused by people breaking the rules to be reduced)

Frank Lee 08-28-2011 08:34 AM

It seems like we have a cop for every 3 citizens in our police state; surely if they spent a little less time at the donut shop or demonizing citizens over seatbelts they could enforce the laws that matter.

They could do better in eliminating short yellows which are nothing more than entrapment schemes.

More comprehensive driver's training might help too.

gone-ot 08-28-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 258423)
More comprehensive driver's training might help too.

...for whom? The citizens or the cops?

slowmover 08-28-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 258337)
OK - how do people here propose that red-light "jumpers" or "runners" be caught ?

(I am not in favour of these cameras, I want accidents caused by people breaking the rules to be reduced)

You'll be in the vanguard by turning yourself in to authorities after driving at 3-mph over the limit. Etc.

The one second delay between the red in one direction and the green in another would take care of most of the problem, after a longer yellow.

Arragonis 08-29-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 258423)
It seems like we have a cop for every 3 citizens in our police state...

You may have noticed we didn't have enough of them during our recent "shoplifting early for Christmas" events here. I sometimes drive 4-500 miles to England and never see a real copy. Speed cameras in "Talivans" yes, but not a real cop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 258463)
You'll be in the vanguard by turning yourself in to authorities after driving at 3-mph over the limit. Etc.

Surely if you do this your head will explode due to exposure of sustained high speed travel. Unless of course you wear a stout and well constructed hat. I suggest a bowler.

wdb 09-02-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 258337)

Philadelphia had a really big problem with bad accidents and pedestrian injuries on Roosevelt Boulevard. They installed red light cameras and a ton of signage warning drivers about them. There appears to have been a temporary increase in accidents (rear-enders as drivers jumped on the brakes) but once folks got used to them being there the problems appear to have been reduced considerably.

Red light cameras can work when used to reduce hazards, but they don't appear to work when the intent is to generate revenue. Boo hoo.

rmay635703 09-02-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 252765)
Across the US yellow lights have been shortened with the connivance of politicians and bureaucrats looking for private sector higher paying jobs. As a result, accidents went up. A cry went up from the astro-turf wilderness about the slaughter on our roads. Ergo, cameras and huge revenues.

In Canada the yellow light was lengthened slightly, and there is a momentary pause before the lights change to the next configuration. Accident reduction.

Exactly, cameras make revenue, not safety.

Extending the yellow light duration is the most effective way of increasing safety. Period.

Arragonis 09-03-2011 09:35 AM

Maybe we could have some cops back ?

The last time I saw a traffic policeman imposing rules it was to make sure drivers didn't pull into a (mostly empty and wasting space) bus lane about 20 ft before they should.

Hardly a safety issue is it ?

gone-ot 09-03-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 259404)
Maybe we could have some cops back ?

The last time I saw a traffic policeman imposing rules it was to make sure drivers didn't pull into a (mostly empty and wasting space) bus lane about 20 ft before they should.

Hardly a safety issue is it ?

...similarly, how many "accidents" have been been caused by over-time parking and likewise reduced by Police "Parking Meter" lads/maids?

Arragonis 09-03-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 259411)
...similarly, how many "accidents" have been been caused by over-time parking and likewise reduced by Police "Parking Meter" lads/maids?

They have reduced Police here, and de-criminalised parking which means that the number of parking, er, people has increased. And so has the number of mistakes made by councils trying to enforce this stuff and so has the cost of the appeals. I'm not entirely sure this is a priority.

Especially when the vehicles doing the catching are parked illegally themselves...

http://www.thecnj.com/camden/2008/05...s052908_05.jpg

(EDIT - Double Yellow lines in the UK means no parking or stopping).

99LeCouch 09-03-2011 10:38 PM

Heh. Figures that they'd realize it was a corporate welfare scam on the backs of hapless citizens. No problems paying more policefolks to enforce traffic laws. But outsourcing law enforcement to a private company that gets a cut of the revenue, that's a problem.

Frank Lee 09-03-2011 10:49 PM

They knew it was a corporate welfare thing from the start. They just thought they try it to see if they could get away with it- same mentality as the execs I used to work with. Their motto is "It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission". In other words, get away with whatever you think you can, and then some. The risk/reward ratio is favorable.

gone-ot 09-04-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 259483)
They knew it was a corporate welfare thing from the start. They just thought they try it to see if they could get away with it- same mentality as the execs I used to work with. Their motto is "It is better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission". In other words, get away with whatever you think you can, and then some. The risk/reward ratio is favorable.

...or, maybe it's the caught/prosecuted ratio is slim-to-none?