Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

VTEC Express - '96 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 57.72 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to thebrad
Local commute suggestions

I recently moved a little closer to the community college I attend and I was wondering if you guys had any alternative transportation suggestions because I am beginning to feel it's not even worth driving.

Route
It's 10-13 miles depending on which way I go.

I've looked into public transportation and there are no stops in my area that connect with the school.

I've tried asking classmates if they would like to carpool, but there really isn't any interest or schedules conflict. I was thinking about buying a Honda Metropolitan or Ruckus, but then again I'd still be using gasoline and the thing would be pegged most of the time (assumed bad FE).

Next is biking, which I don't have a problem with other than the fact I would be biking ~11 miles to school in the California sun and then sitting in class for x hours. I don't imagine I'd be very popular. Another issue is my current bike is a 20.5" BMX (Fit Team Trail). I thought about buying an e-bike but only have about $500 so that seems like a stretch.

Anything I could do short of take strictly online classes?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrad View Post
Next is biking, which I don't have a problem with other than the fact I would be biking ~11 miles to school in the California sun and then sitting in class for x hours. I don't imagine I'd be very popular. Another issue is my current bike is a 20.5" BMX (Fit Team Trail). I thought about buying an e-bike but only have about $500 so that seems like a stretch.
Buy a backpack and bring a change of clothes - at least a different shirt

I bike commute in Central Florida sun... That is, hot - humid - and full sun hot I do, however, ride a recumbent at the moment - so I sweat a little less But, I used to commute on an extended diamond frame road bike. Keeping your elbows a little elevated puts you in a less aero position, but you get air to your underarms and stay cooler

But ya, you'd probably want a different bike for commuting... If you're vigilant, you can find a decent setup for cheap.. watch craigslist
Old 04-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Is biking to a bus route that connects to the school an option? I don't know if your buses have bike racks, but that'd be good if they did.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
I always carry the 3 B's : Bath towel, Baby wipes, and bagels. If you don't have shower facilities then just using a restroom can help you clean up quite a bit. Also I always wear a cotton undershrit and a biking shirt that wick the moisture away. If you take it at a leisurely pace it should not be too bad and as trebuchet03 states you can always take spare cloths.

I agree also that you can probably find a good MTB or road bike for under 100 bucks or so that will get the job done,especially in a college area . It won't take so much effort on 26" or 700cc wheel as the BMXer.

Or you can always load up your bike and drive part of the way. Ride the rest until you find the sweet spot(better then driving the whole thing) where you not overdoing. Most of the time, unless it windy, you always have a headwind to help cool you off.

Or you can just buy a gallon of Old Karate and use liberally

Old 04-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

I'll try biking it this weekend to scope it out. I have a mountain bike, but it's been in storage since I was in the 5th grade. Flat tires and kinda rusty, not sure if it's roadworthy. I'm going to go check craigslist now.

How exactly does an e-bike work? Is it at all like a hybrid car? You pedal to build energy in the battery and then when you are tired the battery will carry you while you rest or did I miss the boat completely?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Quote:
I'll try biking it this weekend to scope it out. I have a mountain bike, but it's been in storage since I was in the 5th grade.

How exactly does an e-bike work? Is it at all like a hybrid car? You pedal to build energy in the battery and then when you are tired the battery will carry you while you rest or did I miss the boat completely?
No it just an electric motor with batteries. When you run it down you have to recharge it. Some guy's have made them with regenitive braking so that when you are coasting it recharging the battery. I think most claim a 10-20 mile range but you can do better if you wait till you get some speed to engauge it and coast with it.

If the MTB has knobbies you can put slicks on it and that will help quite a bit. If you cruise along at 10-13 MPH I don't think it's going to be as big an issue as you think. Take a water bottle with you and make sure you stay hydrated. Keep us posted.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

Please don't snipe these.

What do you guys think of these:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/bik/642656315.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/bik/646133110.html
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/633429212.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/642575381.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/bik/641139123.html

Thanks for all the help, guys

Oh yeah, any battery replacement suggestion/advice?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Quote:
I stay away from the first one. Here's a thread on one just like it.

I personally would not look for anything under 36 volts. I would go fo the KHS(the last one) as long as it fit's you properly. 10 miles sounds like alot but it really won't be that bad. Give it a try on the MTB or see if you can borrow a friends and do a test run. Be sure and scope out a safe route. The direct route is not always the safest.

Try the local Fire Alarm dealer. When they test the batteries for there systems if they don't pass they have to replace both of them. So you can get good batteries for free. W00T

Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
I REFUSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
I stay away from the first one. Here's a thread on one just like it.

I personally would not look for anything under 36 volts. I would go fo the KHS(the last one) as long as it fit's you properly. 10 miles sounds like alot but it really won't be that bad. Give it a try on the MTB or see if you can borrow a friends and do a test run. Be sure and scope out a safe route. The direct route is not always the safest.

Try the local Fire Alarm dealer. When they test the batteries for there systems if they don't pass they have to replace both of them. So you can get good batteries for free. W00T
Ebike kinda seems like a waste of time, that added weight will hinder more than help I think.

So KHS or this trek:
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/600904460.html

The trek is closer, but a pinch more expensive.

Also, it's not the 10 that scares me it's the total 20+ that gets me.
When I live in Northern CA a few months back (my last 3-4 months I lived less than a mile from work) I biked or walked everywhere I went unless I needed to go to cross the San Mateo bridge. If I needed to go further I would generally take Caltrain or just carpool with friends.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Quote:
Ebike kinda seems like a waste of time, that added weight will hinder more than help I think.

So KHS or this trek:
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bik/600904460.html

The trek is closer, but a pinch more expensive.

Also, it's not the 10 that scares me it's the total 20+ that gets me.
When I live in Northern CA a few months back (my last 3-4 months I lived less than a mile from work) I biked or walked everywhere I went unless I needed to go to cross the San Mateo bridge. If I needed to go further I would generally take Caltrain or just carpool with friends.
The trek is a much better bike IMO. 10 miles on that would be a piece of cake it it fits properly. Fit is the most important thing. Also you'll have 2-4 hours to hydrate, eat and rest before you have to go back home. The more you ride the easier it gets once you get into shape. As mention eariler you could always drive halfway until you get into shape.

Reply  Post New Thread