EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Larger than OEM Oil Filter ... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/larger-than-oem-oil-filter-7601.html)

cfg83 03-25-2009 11:57 PM

Larger than OEM Oil Filter ...

Hello -

WARNING: I have read that if you don't make a good choice, this could hurt your engine, so you takes your chances.

A long time ago a saturnfan MPG dude named cheapybob told me that he uses a larger-than-OEM oil filter in his Saturn S-Series. He told me that on his weekend racing trans-am, he picked up some HP by using a larger oil filter. On the idea that he would also get better MPG on his Saturn, he did the same. Recently I got around to trying this. I went to an indy auto-parts store, and got the Wix 51516 for about 7 bucks :

Wix Oil Filter part #51516 (Ford Focus)
Code:

Thread Size: 3/4-16
Height: 4.828
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921

Gasket Diameters
Number    O.D.  I.D.  Thk.
Attached  2.734  2.430  0.226

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=14/31
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 20

I matched up the gasket and thread specs to the Saturn oil filter :

Wix Oil Filter part #51348 (Saturn S-Series)
Code:

Height: 3.404
Outer Diameter Top: 2.921 
Thread Size: 3/4-16

Gasket Diameters
Number    O.D.  I.D.  Thk.
Attached  2.734  2.430  0.226

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=21/37
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

From what I have read, the *theory* is that you can reduce your pumping losses, but I can't really tell if it helps. I was hoping to read that it had a better "flow rate", but the above specs look to be mostly identical.

It's only been about 1000 miles, but so far I'm happy with it. If I don't get an MPG bump, then I'm hoping that it's healthier for the engine on the theory that the greater surface area will catch more dirt. Here is a saturnfan thread that talks about using a bigger filter, if not for MPG reasons :

Bigger Oil Filter DOHC - SaturnFans Forums

CarloSW2

Ryland 03-26-2009 12:46 AM

I used to run a longer filter, almost twice as long as stock, without issue but it was from the ams oil dealer and I didn't have a part number for it, so I lost out and went back to the stock size, if anyone has a part number for a larger filter for the civic vx I would like to know as I should change my oil this spring.

almightybmw 03-26-2009 07:25 AM

I always ran larger than stock on my protege. Did it help? who knows, but I know having more filter area allowed me to run synthetic for 5000 miles and not worry about the filter dying prematurely.

the real key it to find one with a similar bypass pressure. Too high or too low could (most likely will) damage your motor from not allowing oil through or letting particulates through, both harmful states.

tasdrouille 03-26-2009 07:29 AM

Low rpm, low flow. If this is anything air filters, you would not see the slightest difference at low rpm.

bhazard 03-26-2009 12:09 PM

I run a ford 5.0 filter on the shadow, the big motorcraft fl-1a. It dwarfs the stock filter. On the capri I ran one for a 2.5 v6, its an inch longer.

wagonman76 03-26-2009 12:29 PM

All my vehicles as stock use a 3387A filter. On all of them I have always used a 3980 filter instead, which is about 1.5x longer. It may or may not be better, I know I have never had an oil related engine problem. I just like it because it is way easier to get a filter wrench on it.

cfg83 03-26-2009 07:57 PM

tasdrouille -

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 94240)
Low rpm, low flow. If this is anything [like?] air filters, you would not see the slightest difference at low rpm.

Ok. So you are saying that this is really a performance mod that doesn't translate to eco-driving. Good to know.

CarloSW2

Johnny Mullet 03-26-2009 10:09 PM

I run the FL-1A on my Metro also. See this size comparison.................

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...b2bt223004.jpg

winkosmosis 03-27-2009 03:08 AM

A bigger oil filter creates less of a pressure drop, so the filter will switch to bypass mode much less often.

But there are important things to consider... Whether the filter has a good anti-drainback valve (may not matter for some cars), and how the bypass valve works. Some filters have the bypass setup in a such a way that oil flows over the DIRTY side when bypassing, putting all the contaminants back in the oil. Even some Mobil 1 filters are like that according to someone on Miata.net.

DIMS 03-27-2009 04:06 PM

BMK 13 Ams Oil is what I use

My 03 Echo with OEM filter uses 3.3 quarts of oil. With the Dual remote BMK 13 with sub micron filter and large regular filter It uses 6 quarts of oil. I change the oil one every 3 years :) and it is not needed, I just do it. The picture sucks but you can get the Idea

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...BMKInstall.jpg