Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Joy Ride or Killjoy?

Being a little older than some members here, I grew up with the family tradition of the Sunday joy ride. Dad would toss us into the Cadillac and we'd end up who knows where for ice cream or burgers. When the kids were younger I'd do the same at least once a month, but as they got older and we got busier it's fallen by the wayside.

Anyways, this past Labor Day we drove an hour to pick up my M-I-L and S-I-L for lunch. We drove another 45 to a nice restaurant at Lake Winnipesaukee. Then S-I-L suggests ice cream at a place on the OTHER end of the lake. The weather was perfect, the traffic slow and the Odyssey was loaded. We go for ice cream, drive back down the lake then to M-I-ls house then home. Gassing up before pulling down our street there was a part of me that was peeved. Wifey saw it and we had a "discussion" about whether that was a proper use of fuel. Needless to say, I lost that one.

So it comes down to: do the other members still go for a ride just for the hell of it? Or does your desire to save gas (for whatever reason or reasons) make you stay home?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
We still ride. We have to ride. We love hiking, state parks, photography, and just getting out. It is something that's ingrained into us, and I would not change it if I could. At almost 30 mpg in the Buick I do not feel too bad about the gas, and the family time makes it worth it.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
We take rides just for the fun of it.
I had to get over the needless use of fuel in order to enjoy the family time and company of my wife and kids and grand kid.
My total fuel use is down from this time a year ago and should go down further by this time next year.
Keep that in your mind when you are out joyriding.
It is about finding the joy in being with family.
Schultz

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein
Old 09-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

98 Cherokee - '98 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 17.18 mpg (US)

ZX7R Ninja - '99 Kawasaki ZX7R Ninja
90 day: 42.45 mpg (US)
Sounds like a good time to test out new aero mods

Adjusted for my driving habits. 80%city/20%Highway.
20mpg city/30mpg highway or bust! Check out my mods so far
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Whitey - '03 Chevrolet Cavalier base
90 day: 37.01 mpg (US)
i am more aware then ever about my fuel usage, but i dont think that should stop us from driving. i take long trips to see friends, over 30 miles each way, just for the heck of it some nights. it helps to know that we do much better with out FE then others who do the same thing though, so being aware is a great benifit of course.

and i do love to drive, so even above having a purpose to wear i go i'll just take the car for a spin when its all cleaned up and put some music on.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If by "joy riding" you mean driving just for the sake of driving, then I haven't done that since the first few years I had a driver's licence. I always want to go TO someplace, even if I'm just going to that place for fun (which is often the case). I've found that simple joy riding - the Sunday drive - isn't a whole lot of fun for the driver, especially if there's any traffic at all. You are, or should be, too involved with the road to see more than brief glimpses of the scenery.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
SuperTrooper -

We have places we drive to no matter what, but I don't suppose they are "joy rides" as much as places we like to go TO (like jamesqf). We'll drive 20 miles to Upland to eat at Joey's BBQ, or to Ojai or Solvang or San Diego. A long time ago I used to drive Topanga Canyon for fun, but the drive *to* Topanga Canyon is too much of a PITA these days. LA traffic just ain't a "joy ride" for me.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-03-2008, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
i still joyride some, but nowhere near what i used to. i just catch a dirt road and coast around for an hour or 2. never really went over 30 mph.

back when i lived near some mountains, i'd take my "trail rig" (bronco 2) up and down old, unmaintained, former county roads. i'd drive for 3-4 hours straight in 4x4 low range and almost never touch the gas petal. just idle along. stop for a lunch break and a short hike, then drive back down. never calculated my mileage, but i didn't use hardly any gas.

crap, now you have me reminiscing...........
Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
[QUOTE=Tony Raine;58534]back when i lived near some mountains, i'd take my "trail rig" (bronco 2) up and down old, unmaintained, former county roads. i'd drive for 3-4 hours straight in 4x4 low range and almost never touch the gas petal. just idle along. stop for a lunch break and a short hike, then drive back down. never calculated my mileage, but i didn't use hardly any gas./QUOTE]

Man that sounds like a great time. That would be sweet!!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I feel guilty about it, but I definitely joyride, albeit with at least mild eco-habits.

Reply  Post New Thread