EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   learning a lot from this site. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/learning-lot-site-2255.html)

c0da 05-10-2008 09:39 AM

learning a lot from this site.

I frequent cleanmpg a lot and found this site while looking for aero mods for my 2006 civic LX. Unfortunately it is an auto (my accident at the time prevented me from using manual), but I know I can make some significant gains.

So far I've:

-Purchased a ScanGauge
-Modified license plate to partially block lower grill
-Tires at 44psi (max sidewall)
-Practiced many hypermiling tactics (driving without brakes, pulse and glide, etc.)

Mods I'm working on (mostly aesthetic, but functional):

-Lighter rims (current OEM steel wheels weigh 18lbs and will be going to 14-15lbs each wheel).
-Lowering springs (about 1")
-Tires at 50psi

Future mods:

-Full upper grill block and maybe lower with close supervision to heat build up(extremely dry heat in my city)
-Warm air or Cold air intake (still on the fence about which will be more beneficial).
-Wheel well covers for rear and eventually front when I can find something aesthetically appealing.
-Custom make my own aerodynamic kit from foam or other heat resistant material.

I'll post pics as I progress, but if you have any suggestions please let me know. I'm looking to have fun with this.:thumbup:

Lazarus 05-10-2008 09:41 AM

Welcome to the community. Looks like you're well on your way. What kind of numbers are you getting now and what's the commute like? Pics would be great.:turtle:

c0da 05-10-2008 09:56 AM

I've got about 85% highway and 15% city to and from work 5 days a week. So most of this will be for my daily commute going from 65-60mph. I've only had the Scanguage for about 2 weeks and I can honestly say this thing is wonderful. I started out averaging 36mpg to about 40mpg daily. My best day was 44mpg so far (weekend with no traffic, no tailgaters, and a semi I safely drafted).

One thing that really hurts is pulling into the 12 story parking garage at work. That thing KILLS my mpg.

SVOboy 05-10-2008 12:03 PM

I'm sure you know a lot of these, but have you checked out our hypermiling tips yet?

Welcome to ecomodder!

Lazarus 05-10-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0da (Post 24720)

One thing that really hurts is pulling into the 12 story parking garage at work. That thing KILLS my mpg.

Can you park at the bottom or are you regulated to the top floor?

c0da 05-10-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 24760)
Can you park at the bottom or are you regulated to the top floor?

I am regulated to the 5th floor and up and I park at the first spot I see (which usually isn't till the 6th floor :( ).

And I just checked out those hypermiling tips as well, so far I'm doing most of it but there were a few that were new to me. Thanks.

DifferentPointofView 05-10-2008 07:21 PM

maybe.. if you descretely do it you can make an electric scissor lift with remote action to lift your car up to the 6th floor without using gasoline :D" Welcome to EM!

MetroMPG 05-11-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c0da (Post 24773)
I am regulated to the 5th floor and up and I park at the first spot I see (which usually isn't till the 6th floor :( ).

Ouch! And how's the ride down? Can/do you do any engine-off stuff with your car?

Welcome to the site.

c0da 05-12-2008 05:59 PM

This garage has to be one of the worst designs I've ever seen and you probably have no chance of coasting in it. Best way to describe it is like looking at a pretzel. The lanes going up meet up and take turns with the lane going down. You honestly have to drive through half of th floor to finally get to the mid point where it finally goes up or down again.

It's hard to describe this frustrating garage, but at least on the side of the garage that I use it has one large ramp to go straight to the 5th floor. Unfortunately this ramp is waaaaayy to steep to do a safe coast down it without holding the brakes and pretty killer going up as well. I think I take a 5 - 8mpg hit for the day because of it.