EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Let's hear about YOUR morning drive! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/lets-hear-about-your-morning-drive-26100.html)

anders8 06-07-2013 11:08 AM

Let's hear about YOUR morning drive!

Successful morning... I had to run between two of our stores. It's 14.7 miles, and off the top of my head, about 17 lights. It's a four lane, non-restricted road, with lots of commuter traffic, passing, oh, half a dozen shopping centers, so I'm putting that in the "City" category.

End result 32.6 MPG (my EPA 20/27) for 63% over!

Mods: none. Using android Torque app and factory instrumentation. Methods used: mostly target driving on fuel consumption, some pulse and glide in combination with hills, and mainly being fortunate that I can travel at lowest RPM in my highest gear (6th, slushbox automatic) a lot (right around 46-48 MPH at 1500ish rpm :turtle: ) because of other traffic. Speed limit is 50.

Obviously, not a whole tank. And got luck with a couple lights. Previous best was 29.1 mpg. I only started trying this stuff out a couple days ago, so it's a nice victory. :thumbup:

Cheers!
Anders

hawk2100n 06-07-2013 11:53 AM

My morning drive was legendary today. So usually twice a week it consists of two distinct segments. A 65 mile run from my girlfriends house to my own house that is 70-80 mph on the interstate. I averaged 39.8 mpg according to the scan gauge today. The second part is a 2.9 mile jaunt from my house to work. Partially downhill with very light traffic just after 8 am. After the 65 miler and about a 5 minute stop the car was warm which makes perfect conditions. Today without thinking about it for the first 7/10s I found myself above 58mpg and I decided to go all out. I crested 100mpg about 200 yards from the parking lot but I needed one more bump which dropped me to 97.9 MPG as I pulled in to the spot. I coasted probabily 80% or more of the drive. That's .03 gallons consumed. I was amazed. This also includes 3 stops with a gate and ID check. The AC was also on for the first 7/10s. Now I just need to do that for the other 10.97 gallons in an average fillup for me and I'd be doing great.

97.9 MPG
2.9 miles
.03 gal
Woot

anders8 06-07-2013 11:55 AM

Nice!

MetroMPG 06-07-2013 01:55 PM

Fun to play the MPG game during the commute. I almost miss it.

(My typical morning commute: roll out of bed > walk down hall > turn on computer. :P )

NachtRitter 06-07-2013 02:48 PM

Yep, best commute ever! Less than one minute and infinite mpg since no fuel was burned!

SentraSE-R 06-07-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk2100n (Post 375246)
My morning drive was legendary today. So usually twice a week it consists of two distinct segments. A 65 mile run from my girlfriends house to my own house that is 70-80 mph on the interstate. I averaged 39.8 mpg according to the scan gauge today. The second part is a 2.9 mile jaunt from my house to work. Partially downhill with very light traffic just after 8 am. After the 65 miler and about a 5 minute stop the car was warm which makes perfect conditions. Today without thinking about it for the first 7/10s I found myself above 58mpg and I decided to go all out. I crested 100mpg about 200 yards from the parking lot but I needed one more bump which dropped me to 97.9 MPG as I pulled in to the spot. I coasted probabily 80% or more of the drive. That's .03 gallons consumed. I was amazed. This also includes 3 stops with a gate and ID check. The AC was also on for the first 7/10s. Now I just need to do that for the other 10.97 gallons in an average fillup for me and I'd be doing great.

97.9 MPG
2.9 miles
.03 gal
Woot

Calling BS on the 65 miles @70-80 mph & 39.8 mpg, unless you're Basjoos.

hawk2100n 06-07-2013 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R (Post 375331)

K

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1370644123

I averaged 53 mph according to Excel with 26 on the commute x4. Sounds right to me. Also it's mostly interstate but not 100%.

PressEnter[] 06-07-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R (Post 375331)

Why's that? I usually drive much slower, but I register around 45 mpg at a steady 75 mph in my TDI. I'm barely turning 2 grand at that speed ;) - edit - didn't see it was a Civic. That would be quite impressive for stock gearing.

Anyway, I live barely a half mile from work, so I have hardly any commute to speak of, but I do a lot of courier runs between our other locations. I drove around 90 miles today, averaging just under 50 mpg...a little low, considering some nice highway and back roads, but we've had heavy rain, which really screws up my coasting ability :(

Frank Lee 06-07-2013 07:27 PM

I drove my feet here and there, then made a courtesy shuttle give me a ride.

hamsterpower 06-07-2013 07:31 PM

My morning commute is 2 miles up hill with three stop signs for a total of 1/10 of a ham sandwich. 7 minutes.

RDBLHHR 06-08-2013 09:08 PM

My Morning commute is a whopping 8 miles with 5 stop lights. Mostly highway. But thats not really my issue. Because once I get to work starts the 100 to 200 miles I drive each day. I just bought a truck for my job so I will be seeing what I can do with that. Havent put enough miles on it yet to figure out MPG yet.

polkiuj 06-13-2013 06:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got 23.4 km/l today.
11.9 km
24 minutes
31 km/h avg speed
used 0.51 l of fuel

About 55 MPG

I was early today

**Ps. the UG is only calibrated for distance. I have not fueled up yet since getting it..
**ahh.. I cannot post images yet =(

MetroMPG 06-13-2013 06:10 AM

Hi polkiuj!

Welcome to EcoModder! You're the first new (6th gen.) Mirage owner to join here, I think.

I see you figured out that you can still post attachments - the inline image limit is lifted after 5 posts. (Feel free to make 2 dummy posts to get past the limit if you like.)

jakobnev 06-13-2013 06:28 AM

66mpg!

I've beating all the old records this year.

First last years cold start record of .39l to work. (Got .37)

Then the warm start record of .36. (Got .34)

For a few days i was getting .34, .35, .34 while hitting red lights..

But today.. green streak!

..0.31l!!! (Yes, three is warranted.)

My new route is slightly shorter than the old, 8.7km instead of 9.2, but it's still 66MPG!

polkiuj 06-13-2013 09:05 PM

Ooooo... I didn't know that. haha.

I thought I coulp not post attachments..

This morning is bad though.. Only 39 MPG.. Bad traffic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 376150)
Hi polkiuj!

Welcome to EcoModder! You're the first new (6th gen.) Mirage owner to join here, I think.

I see you figured out that you can still post attachments - the inline image limit is lifted after 5 posts. (Feel free to make 2 dummy posts to get past the limit if you like.)

Johosophat 06-18-2013 12:56 PM

I usually got around 60mpg during the summer on my 5 mile 15 minuteish commute to work in the summer in my 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE. It's got about 11 stop lights and semi heavy traffic during the morning commutes, fortunately there are a lot of great places to coast and I can usually make most of the lights. The worst part about it is I routinely arrive to work at 60mpg but dip to around 57ish when climbing up the stupid parking garage we have.

Today was actually my first commute in my Prius I just bought Saturday.

DucFanDan 06-26-2013 04:43 PM

My commute won't set any mileage records, but it's entertaining and quite the challenge to squeeze mileage out of.

I start off at home, 1800 ft MSL, 1/4-mile gravel driveway. Get out to road (gravel), climb to 2000 ft MSL over next ~1.5 miles. A few undulations, then downhill to 1800ft, stop sign and set of 90-degree right/left corners (also gravel). After the hard left, I give it a little gas to get up to 30 or so, then shift to neutral and coast... for 2-3 miles. Back into drive for the last 1/2 mile of gravel. Turn onto paved highway, slowly work it up to 55. Hilly terrain for the next several miles, averaging 1700-1800 ft MSL, so I practice pulse-and-glide. Sometimes I'm bucking a stiff headwind, so gliding doesn't work so well (there's a lot of wind turbines where I live, for good reason).

Once I hit the top of the hilly terrain on the paved highway, then I can *almost* coast from roughly 1600 ft the rest of the way down to river level (~100ft MSL). If I could turn the motor off, I'd get unbelievable mileage... but sadly, I have to keep the motor idling to keep the auto trans fluid pump working. The big issue with Subaru autos: no towing or coasting w/o the motor running.

Once on the highway next to the Columbia River, it's 10 miles at roughly 60 mph to the next town... slow to 25, go through town, across a 3/4-mile steel grate bridge, then uphill along 20-mph streets to get to the parking lot.

It's a total of 33 miles one way.

I've been able to push our box-stock Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited up to ~27 mpg on this route. EPA says it gets 18/25, with a combined rating of 20. The car is even running at the stock tire pressure (which is too low for proper wear, let alone best mileage). Last couple of tanks have hand-calc'd out to 26 mpg... that includes stints of my wife driving, and she uses zero hypermiling techniques.

I'm looking forward to upping the tire pressure for the next tank. Then, maybe, I will start looking into aero mods. I'm planning to put a set of skidplates under it for protection when offroading, and I may buy some material to interconnect the skidplates for better aerodynamics on the highway. Also debating whether to get lighter wheels... rotating mass is a killer.

justme1969 06-27-2013 08:00 AM

Did what I needed 2 do!

Im realistically flat roads straight Hiways so pulse n glide and coastdown is as great an effect as possible anywhere.
Today I understand why the Undieing POS wont make much better than my best ever 36. That thing seriously hauls butt!
I was given the lecture bout I am second man on totem and must set example so n so n so" be on time was sum of things Monday afternoon.
Ive had no troubles all week but decided that 5 minute shower was required this morn. :confused: That stupid little car put me at job 1 minute early though my 5 minute shower ran into 15 and then dog needed to go out etc.
The engine was very happy running in upper RPMs sounded like a giant Mad Bumble Bee nest as it made Light speed, and made small dots in R/V mirror of passed traffic. SO now I see why the Undieing POS will not achieve greatness in economy further than it has without major engine MODS.
Oh yeah Those Big Drive tires really effect top end on that thing. It is a true screamer so much for my week long tank probbably lost a whole days commute.

DucFanDan 06-27-2013 02:05 PM

This morning on one of my best coasting stretches I got stuck behind the roadworks trucks respraying the lines. No way to pass. They were going so slow... when coasting in Neutral and riding the brake, my mpg meter read 14! It's an auto with power brakes and steering, so I normally don't go engine-off. But today, since we were only going 10 mph, I figured I'd give it a try. Shut it off in neutral, and carefully kept ahead of the curve on the brakes... because of course, the vacuum boost disappears in short order when you're coasting down a steep hill at 10 mph and riding them.

Thankfully we were going slow enough that the lack of power steering was not an issue.

I don't think it hurt the transmission. We weren't going fast enough to build up any appreciable heat... even without the trans fluid pump running. Not something I'll do on a regular basis, though.

Anyway, that last few miles going downhill with the motor off was kinda cool... infinite mpg. Bumped my average up to 26.7 per the car's meter (which is calibrated a tad conservative now... I tweaked the calibration a couple tanks ago, because it was 2 mpg optimistic).