EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Lone Wolf Signs Up (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/lone-wolf-signs-up-501.html)

plym49 01-02-2008 03:04 PM

Lone Wolf Signs Up

Hi All -

I've been Ecomodding for years, working on my own without knowing what it was called. LOL. But here I am now, and I look forward to participating.

Lazarus 01-02-2008 03:27 PM

Welcome. Glad you found the site. What are you driving now and what have you done to it?

SVOboy 01-02-2008 03:31 PM

Welcome to the site!

Same questions as laz apply, :)

plym49 01-02-2008 04:56 PM

What I Have

Hi -

Thanks for the replies. I drive several vehicles: hot rod, antique, sports car, 4x4, and so on. The 4x4 (a Chevy truck) has enjoyed several mpg improvements over the years, but with modest changes that were mostly aimed at the reduction of parasitic losses and optimizing components for the predominant usage (which changes over time). I am now contemplating more aggressive changes, including better engine shut off and glide capabilities.

RH77 01-02-2008 08:57 PM

Welcome

Welcome to EM :thumbup:

I have a couple more questions -- what kind of driving do you do mostly? ...and which vehicle are you using the most?

Sounds like a fun collection :D

Enjoy the site...

RH77

MetroMPG 01-02-2008 10:02 PM

Hi Plym49.

Looking forward to hearing about the mods you did to your Chevy in the past and what you've got planned for the future.

Welcome to the site.

metroschultz 01-03-2008 11:45 AM

Good Morning, Glad to see another multi-vehicular modder. Didn't think about the lone wolf moniker myself. I get the impression there are many out there who are doing what they can without assistance from friends or family.
You're here now and these guys, who've been at it for way longer than me, will help all they can.
Again I say Greetings and Salutations. S.

plym49 01-03-2008 02:47 PM

Responses to all

What do I drive most often: Well, I mix it up so everything gets used fairly regularly. Certain vehicles dont see rain or salt, though.

What type of driving do I do: A good mix of local, s&g commuting and superslab.

What mods have been done to my 4x4 truck:

Larger diameter tires inflated to 45 psi, replaced mechanical fan with variable-speed dual electrics, punched louvers in hood for better air flow (reduces need for fans when moving) and to vent high-pressure air under hood (hopefully reduced aero drag), custom chip, removed air pump (parasitic drag), low restriction intake and exhaust, custom ignition, higher temp thermostat, warm air induction, dual deep cycle batteries, hi-po gear reduction starter (to withstand frequent restarts when coasting), 0-30W synthetic, synthetic in diffs, probably some other stuff I forgot about.

Stock mileage was 14. With normal driving (no shutdowns, coasting or other special techniques) I see north of 17 for an almost 25% improvement. This is a 5000 lb vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick. I would like to see over 20 for local driving where engine shutdown and coasting can be used. This might not be feasible without sacrificing the utility of the vehicle, but we'll see.

One of my previous projects was a 12 cylinder Jaguar XJ-S. These cars normally run in the 8 to 14 mpg range. Mine consistently delivered 23 mpg, with no special driving techniques and the stock TH400 automatic. However, there is a tremendous amount of low-hanging fruit - courtesy of odd design decisions by Jaguar - so my achievements here are not due to black magic as much as thoughtful modifications to implement features other automakers take for granted.

plym49 01-03-2008 02:55 PM

Here it is

Thumbnail of the 4x4 in question.

plym49 01-03-2008 02:57 PM

Here it is

1 Attachment(s)
Thumbnail of 4x4 in question.