EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   The long road to Bonneville, goals are 40mpg useable pickup in the 150 club (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/long-road-bonneville-goals-40mpg-useable-pickup-150-a-35805.html)

gumby79 11-08-2017 03:02 PM

The long road to Bonneville, goals are 40mpg useable pickup in the 150 club

This all started in 2013 when my cousin sugested theres a pile of steel and that I build one of my Ideas . It became the "Aero Tonto".

So thank you Brent for pushing me to just peek. Now my eyes can see.
I was sponsored @Darco by Aerohead. Then we went to Bonneville to see the eye candy. I fell in love. And decided last minute to run. Knowing that my truck hits the governor at less than 100 and my tires are only rated for 106mph. I hit 87.14mph on the standing mile. @ 2500rpm . It took almost an hour to figur out what class I'd run in ,they finaly decided on T (time only open class). With a call to the rules people it was established that my Aero Tonto alone, any mod above the bed rail puts me in the UDT(Unlimited Diesel Truck)class. Full aero package less cap is MDT(Modified Diesel Truck. And 0 aero is DT(Diesel Truck) records for my size motor are; UDT 272.685MPH, MDT228.804MPH, DT215.091 MPH. The piece that confuse the inspectors is the rule specify 14500 GVW/race weight minimum in anything except for DT

Stock 16-22.6mpg avg 18 3k mi
Aero Tonto 18-29.3 avg 24 over 100k mi
Not raging on those that do but 0% EOC (not safe)
DWL (inclueds most of the conserve momentum tips. It just how you learn to drive when living in the mountains)
Drive by Vav/boost /EGT gage its amasing what a 25°f change in EGT can do.

This is an ambitious long turm multi step process. With self imposed restrictions.
Truck must
1 be street legal
2. Be able to carrie 1Cord of Green Oak in the bed with all mods in place.(CDF definition is 3000lbs)
3. Tow 10k lbs 1k mi
4. Be returnable to stock ,except hood.
5. Sealed IP till after HP/aero adds up to 130 club
Step 1.
Aero package up to 40mpg. Stock tune(factory sealed macanical injection pump (IP))
Custom Quickchange extreemliner differential (QC)this allows mixing and matching from 1.2:1 - 5.11:1 takes >15min to swap gears Carrie three sets of gear race, daily driver, tow heavy.
This is custom because Winters the QC manufacturer has stated that the diff can handle my power/tork(could end up over 1500ftlb), however, not the weight. The QC only uses ford 9" axle/ berings I need a full floating axle to meat my restrictions.(weight)
At this point I'll return to Bonneville. Qualify 130mph club, 150club. One theory is , with the right aero package its 1hp /1mph. So 160 is plausible if I get the aero right, and if I'm lucky 175+ to get to the big track,With a stock sealed IP
3 strip it down and run for an ABA test (sealed )
4 reassemble A run
5 release the Kraken start turning the screws on the pump( tuneing for power) and see how far she will go with 300+HP, this is conservative number as this motor is capable of 400HP on the cheep at the expence of longevity. The costly part is making it reliable.
6 run the full aero +tune +street gears for improved mpg. Hopes are for 1-10%gain over aero/gear only

Sorry no pictures the sight is not allowing at this time.

To those that dont like WOT this is not a thred for you sorry context in too important.

aerohead 11-11-2017 02:12 PM

130-club

An otherwise 147-mph 2012 Mini Cooper S,with 181-hp,and an Iced down intercooler, just eked out 130-mph in the mile in 2012,due to the extra rolling resistance on the salt.
At 2730-pounds,that's basically 1-hp per 15-lbs.Power-to-weight is more important than any other factor in this 1-mile drag race.
If the Dodge was 4,000 lb race weight,you'd need a minimum 267-hp available to squeeze 130 in the mile,qualifying for the 150 Club.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know anything about the 2-mile course.
It's still a lot of acceleration.Aerodynamic horsepower would be 54% higher than at 130.Rolling resistance should be a linear function.
*you'll need a roll cage
*fire suppression system
*V-Rated tires
*current SFI fire suit
*current SFI Hans device
*current Snell-approved brain bucket
That's $5,000 right there!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you could pull off the 150,then you'd be qualified to run the long course,which can be up to 12-miles long.
You'd have to get your race license in 10-mph increments and the USFRA might let you use their roadster for that.
Once you had your racing license for up to 180-mph,you could do bracketed handling runs in the truck,increasing speed incrementally until you'd run the truck for all she was worth.
What a hoot!

aerohead 11-11-2017 02:41 PM

40 mpg

For the 776-mile tank,between Green River,Utah and Fernley,Nevada,I pulled the 250-miles of 65 mph travel out,indicating 36.9 mpg for the 55-mph portion.
If I throw in 4-mpg for the missing boat tail I'm knocking on 41-mpg,on unleaded Regular gas.If I throw Audi's 1.30-X TDI factor in,Spirit would be looking at 53.3 mpg.
The Dodge isn't THAT bigger,nor much different in weight,so 40-mpg seems real doable,even with the firewood hauling capability.:thumbup:

gumby79 11-11-2017 05:10 PM

Ive been on the horn with Jim Dunn , the Truck and pickup class rules chairman ,to iorn out the details of, What calss.

For all truck classes except UDT and DS say, flat tonto cover that yeald no aero advantage are allowed ,but must not extend above the top of the bed.
Theas are the 3 classes we came up with . He said that the 14500lbs min weight for the Mdt and udt classes is a missomer and that I wouldn't be held by that, only limitis 750cid If this changes the only class I fit with my Aero Tonto will be T, time.
There is 1 more class that would alow our caps and that is DS Diesel streemliner @306.816 except "modified production bodies are forbidden " so maby shrink wraping it bumper to bumper may qualify .

87.14 was a rpm limit of my 2.4495 final gear(stock trans .69×3.55 rear end) and my refusal to brake the seals on my factory sealed injection pump. To raise the governor to 3500 or 4200rpm tell after 40mpg. 3500rpm =134mph 4200rpm =161mph. Without supporting modifications 4200 is not achievable. Stock lift pump bairly handles the stock motor lucky me it failed monday so the variable displacement piston pump is going in place of the diaphragm that came out. This is a reduced pressure high volume pump from the 2nd gen Cummins 94-98.

Gears, aero package and safty will be my focus for now.

skyking 11-11-2017 06:43 PM

You'd need the 60 LB valve springs to support the higher RPM, but those are easy to do.
I've done governor spring kits many times on P-pumps. If we could find the parts to convert yours to a P-pump, it is a bit easier to make big power.
I even have a spare rebuilt 215 pump, already set for 3500 RPM on the springs.
The trouble is, different injectors, lines, and timing set. It is a big job.

freebeard 11-14-2017 02:09 AM

Good luck! Are you planning for 2018?

I was driven to Bonneville two years ago, and I told my son and his friend Nick (a manager at Boeing) I would get myself there next year and be on a pit crew in 2-5 years. Last year I watched Nick do a 164mph run on his Ducati. This year he drove someone else's motorcycle at the 14000ft salt flat in Bolivia. I'm hoping I can get him for a driver.

They confirm my reservation number for an Arcimoto FUV comes up in 2nd quarter 2018. I can cover the base price (bye bye Superbeetle) and I'm hoping they see the logic in sponsoring a Fun Utility Vehicle run at America's Playground.

Maybe they can sponsor me to the extent of doors. :)

I'm thinking stock, except for replacing the 145-65/15s with 155-50'19s (from the BMW i3) for longer legged gearing, and a two foot boat tail.

Big Dave 12-08-2017 01:06 PM

Racing is tough.

Then, there's Bonneville.

freebeard 12-08-2017 10:13 PM

The first year I was there, we met a guy from Montana who'd gotten a $1000 Dodge pickup running, thrown his toolbox and motorcycle in the back and headed to Bonneville. Assuming he'd a luck into a pit crew once he got there.

My son's friend volunteered and drove the chase truck for his run. After the motorcycle took off, he followed toward the horizon and promptly lost him, and drove right past. IIRC they had to send another truck after the chase truck.

It's like another world.

gumby79 05-29-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

If the Dodge was 4,000 lb race weight,you'd need a minimum 267-hp available to squeeze 130 in the mile,qualifying for the 150 Club.
------------------------------------------------------
I hit 84 by 1/2 mile the rest of the thime was spent fighting with the transmission to stay in 4th luse 5mph when it would grab 3rd then upshift as I brought the throttle under 75% and reapply the power

Quote:

I don't know anything about the 2-mile course.
It's still a lot of acceleration.Aerodynamic horsepower would be 54% higher than at 130.Rolling resistance should be a linear function.
*you'll need a roll cage
*fire suppression system
*V-Rated tires
*current SFI fire suit
*current SFI Hans device
*current Snell-approved brain bucket
That's $5,000 right there!
Per the rule book
Quote:

In order to qualify to run on the
long course, you must go at least 175 mph at the 2 ¼ mile on the short course
Roll cage .. 130club 3pt harness ok so no cage required
150 club 2point(pt) cage to hold the shoulder belts of the required 5/6 pt harness at the proper hight.
175 full cage.
Race capable fire suppression@175 +( they Overlook the fire extinguisher in the 130 and 150 because the Marine style mounts just turned that two and a half pound fire extinguisher into a 5 lb chunk of aluminum hit me/you upside the head)
Nomex 150+
Hans 175+
Current helmet check.
Dreem Big Chisel Down To Reality

freebeard 05-29-2018 10:53 PM

I've talked to the head of marketing at Arcimoto about them sponsoring a vehicle at Bonneville. He wasn't too excited. I was trying to convince him to subject one of their FUVs to the salt environment, so it wouldn't have to be mine. Fording creeks of brine didn't do my Superbeetle any good at all.

Any prognosis on the Salt yet this year? Sometimes it doesn't dry out. I've been thinking El Mirage instead, of only because of the corrosion. I don't know how those bare-metal Model T do it.

California98Civic 05-30-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 570867)
... I've been thinking El Mirage instead, of only because of the corrosion. I don't know how those bare-metal Model T do it.

You gotta really wash the undercarriage for months. Before I new better, I took my daughter to World of Speed in 2012 in my wife's 2010 Subaru. I spent weeks flushing salt from the undercarriage. A couple years later the exhaust system developed a premature failure due to rust *on top* of parts of the system. In the end I replaced the part at a cost of a couple hundred bucks (did its myself). Apparently, I should have been much more aggressive in washing the undercarriage. So even though it had been a couple years, I got at it again, BIG TIME.

El Mirage would be great for our purposes at EM. Our speeds are just not super high and they have about 1 mile to a mile and a half of useful track. I would love to participate in any good project as part of a support team.

aerohead 05-30-2018 02:16 PM

gear

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumby79 (Post 570860)
I hit 84 by 1/2 mile the rest of the thime was spent fighting with the transmission to stay in 4th luse 5mph when it would grab 3rd then upshift as I brought the throttle under 75% and reapply the power

Per the rule book
Roll cage .. 130club 3pt harness ok so no cage required
150 club 2point(pt) cage to hold the shoulder belts of the required 5/6 pt harness at the proper hight.
175 full cage.
Race capable fire suppression@175 +( they Overlook the fire extinguisher in the 130 and 150 because the Marine style mounts just turned that two and a half pound fire extinguisher into a 5 lb chunk of aluminum hit me/you upside the head)
Nomex 150+
Hans 175+
Current helmet check.
Dreem Big Chisel Down To Reality

I've got some used gear if it will qualify:
Kirky aluminum racing seat
Simpson 5-way harness
I've got 2-firesuits but we'll have to check on specs and size
7-1/4'' Bell Star helmet Snell- approved
large Simpson racing gloves
fire retardant underwear
fire retardant balaclava
10-1/2'' Simpson racing shoes/socks
3-parachutes if those can be helpful
Let me know!:)

freebeard 05-30-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

You gotta really wash the undercarriage for months.... I spent weeks flushing salt from the undercarriage.
As aerohead knows, I drove to downtown Wendover each night and used a coin-op car wash to spray the undercarriage. Then jacked it up at home and washed it three more times. Ultimately, when I totaled the car on black ice, we found that the steering gearbox was almost frozen.

An FUV would be hard pressed to top 100mph.

gumby79 06-01-2018 02:53 AM

Choices for rubber gears...

1 Attachment(s)
Most "H" or fasters speed rated tires eather have no load capacity or are 28" or smaller or10-30"wide drag rears.

To day I've found some options

32.18"D 235/55r22 (104w) 1984lbs 168mph $154 usd

31.41"D 275/25r26 (98w) 1653lbs 168mph $215 sud

30.04"D 255/50R20 (109Y) 2271lbs 186mph

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1527834325
B stock rpm +.20 od + 3.08 gear swap.
C as above + 3500 gov spring.

Now comes the question witch one will have the best coefficient of rolling resistance?
What effect will the different wheel sizes have?
Options 1 is 140.5 good for 130club +150club rated
option 2 is 137. 2mph@100% transfer of rpm. (The 518 non lockup torque converter has demonstrated a 5% loss of RPM)
Option 3 131.2mph this option will requires the 3500rp. Gov spring for the 130 club . And will be useable allthe way to 175 + to qualify for the long course.

aerohead 06-02-2018 12:18 PM

R-R

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumby79 (Post 571021)
Most "H" or fasters speed rated tires eather have no load capacity or are 28" or smaller or10-30"wide drag rears.

To day I've found some options

32.18"D 235/55r22 (104w) 1984lbs 168mph $154 usd

31.41"D 275/25r26 (98w) 1653lbs 168mph $215 sud

30.04"D 255/50R20 (109Y) 2271lbs 186mph

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1527834325
B stock rpm +.20 od + 3.08 gear swap.
C as above + 3500 gov spring.

Now comes the question witch one will have the best coefficient of rolling resistance?
What effect will the different wheel sizes have?
Options 1 is 140.5 good for 130club +150club rated
option 2 is 137. 2mph@100% transfer of rpm. (The 518 non lockup torque converter has demonstrated a 5% loss of RPM)
Option 3 131.2mph this option will requires the 3500rp. Gov spring for the 130 club . And will be useable allthe way to 175 + to qualify for the long course.

I'm unsure about the effect of rolling resistance.
When I ran,a 147-mph Mini Cooper would only do 129-mph because of damp salt track conditions.
136-mph Mazda-3s could only do 118-mph.
The efficiency of the tires may be essentially destroyed if you have any rain.
Question,if you do 130,will they let you turn around and run the 2-mile 150 course? With only 2-miles to hit 150,you might have to gear it for just over 150 and hope to hit it.
If so,you'd know a lot more about her performance under real track conditions,which would help you sort out gearing for the final assault.
Are there any online computers for top speed at a given set of parameters?

California98Civic 06-02-2018 02:01 PM

calculators

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 571108)
... Are there any online computers for top speed at a given set of parameters?

Did a little research and I think EM's own RR/drag/HP calculator could be used with these gearing/speed calculators usefully:

Top Speed Calculator
Car Speed Calculator

james

aerohead 06-02-2018 02:51 PM

calculator

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 571114)
Did a little research and I think EM's own RR/drag/HP calculator could be used with these gearing/speed calculators usefully:

Top Speed Calculator
Car Speed Calculator

james

Thanks!
Something I've never investigated,was a calculator offered by HOT ROD Magazine in the 1950s,60s.
They were able to tell you your distance to top speed,which I've never seen before.Since the trucks load varies the entire length of the run,the calculation has to deal with all the transient dynamics,combining the calculus of the R-R coincidentally with the aero,matched with power available in each gear as you swim through the gears.
It's a very complex relationship.
Every time I go to the PATE Swap Meet I ask about this computer and the guys just roll their eyes back in their heads.
I suspect that folks like George Poteet have access to this sort of thing.:p

gumby79 08-01-2018 07:37 PM

Gear vs speed chart found.

1 Attachment(s)
Found a good one.
gear/tier size/transmission calculators by 100 rpm increments

Now to get expressed as a graph with the torque hp curves matched for each gear . Had Gran Turismo 3 in Iraq when you upgraded the car to the full customers customizable transmission you could actually monkey with each gears individual numerical value and was a nice graphic
I guess I could hand plot all this

Results fom link
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1534110331
I ran the #'s out to 4200 as that is the $$$ red line.
With the 3500 governor spring kit 135 @100% transfer is possible with a 31.7(stock size) 3.55 :1 (stock)
155mph @3500 with3.00.

Take the 6% diminstrated losses (possible warn 2500 governor spring contribution.) And that is 126.9 , 145.7 respectively

Piotrsko 08-02-2018 03:26 PM

Don't wanna repost this whole thing, BUT, paste your data into excel and it will do graphs easy peasy

aerohead 08-04-2018 01:17 PM

acceleration

I'm still thinking that we need an acceleration calculator.
If you watch 'World's Fastest Indian' you'll see Burt Munro dropping a rotary slide rule computer into his travel bag as he readies himself for the trip to Bonneville.
I suspect that he had the HOT ROD calculator.
To be able to predict your trap speed at the mile and two-mile,the equation must handle:
*total mass
*available horsepower along the total rpm range between shifts
*gearing in all gears
*polar moment of inertia for all rotating masses (gears,shafts,bearings,wheels,tires,etc.)
*rolling force coefficient of the tires (no one has ever published the range of RR which cab occur on the salt,for the range of salt conditions which can exist on a given day
*aerodynamic drag index
*local air density at time of run (you can get this from Rick Gold@ at his racing fuel trailer on race day,with updates every hour or so)
There's a lot of differential equations which must be solved simultaneously to calculate what you could expect.(a graduate student in mathematics would be your friend):)

Piotrsko 08-06-2018 10:07 AM

There's a way to calculate air density that I used to do when I flew because it is bad juju to take off from a too short runway. However in the enjoined 20 or so years I have forgotten it.

gumby79 08-07-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 575479)
There's a way to calculate air density that I used to do when I flew because it is bad juju to take off from a too short runway. However in the enjoined 20 or so years I have forgotten it.

Local (salt flat) data is available every IIRC 15min from 2 weather stations1 at the start and 1 ~ 1/2 down the big track, so ambant air density is available.
----
YouTube can be good . Gale Banks did a good presentation on Manifold Air Density MAD and how that has affected how he chases power versus others .
I asked the channel if thay had access to the Hot Rod Calculator
There response
Quote:

Banks Power
Ahh.. We don't have the calculator handy that you're referring to. We've requested a copy from HotRod.
Hopefully Banks has enough pull to get somebody to go digging in the archives and will share a sorce if/when successful.
---
MAD is one of my reasons why I am devloping a temperature controlled grill block referencing IC Nd engine coolent temperature. Cheep simple servo automated grill block active aero deployment. (Link). With additional blockages on other components that will open independently based on that components individual need. EG transmission cooler. this truck has a technical service bulletin advising not to drive the truck in overdrive below - 5F, this causes the viscosity to get to high in the air to liquid transmission cooler(aka it freezes) causing a restriction in the cooling circuit end result is' a burned-up overheated transmission, failure mode too cold. So I make shure that is blocked in winter( doesn't get hot enough to run without it covered in overdrive for two to three months where I live).
---
Quote:

Don't wanna repost this whole thing, BUT, paste your data into excel and it will do graphs easy peasy
How do i get exel on to a Samsung Note 5? The xp computer dusent go online.

Piotrsko 08-08-2018 10:12 AM

Should ought to be excel apps. Or equivelants. I have one in my note 9, linux machine, and galaxy 3. Preloaded, Of course they all work differently, duh.

I thought the trip to the site for altitude was difficult/convoluted, which was why I suggested the airplane solution. Now I recall I used a whiz wheel.

BamZipPow 08-12-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumby79 (Post 575545)
How do i get exel on to a Samsung Note 5? The xp computer dusent go online.

Google Play should have OpenOffice/Calc or LibreOffice/Calc should work. You could always use the cloud based Google Docs spreadsheet. ;)
https://docs.google.com

freebeard 08-12-2018 03:52 PM

The question is how to display tables as in Permalink #18?

It seems there was some discussion here about that I can't find. Seems Xist was involved.

My thought would be Markdown. Write plain text, pipe it though the HTML formatter (local or online) and paste the result. https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-h...atsheet#tables

gone-ot 08-12-2018 03:55 PM

Try this link: https://www.gribble.org/cycling/air_density.html

gumby79 08-12-2018 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1534109831
49k size is too big to insert spreadsheet so a croped screen shot will have to reprezent 3hrs of fighting with my device...
I'll replace the above copy paste

aerohead 08-15-2018 10:41 AM

calculations

I found my paperback book on automotive mathematics.
The book has only an approximation calculation for 1/4-mile time and speed (within 4% accuracy for an example problem given).
This won't help us.
The book listed some commercial computer programs available at a price,but none of them were germane to Bonneville.:(

gumby79 09-09-2018 09:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Spent an hour on the dyno fighting with the transmission to get these images for you and of course me. 3-4 down shiftting @ full power.
You can see when the Governor starts to Defuel at 2000 RPM, and horsepower drops off.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1536541168
Hence the squiggles on the simulated 1/4mi. from 6-10 sec.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1536541168
Go go gadget auto rotate.

aerohead 09-22-2018 01:48 PM

130-mph

I spent some time thinking about the 130-Club.
*whatever the all-up race weight of truck is,with you inside,divide that by 13.336 to get your required horsepower,to get you 130 mph in one mile.
*If you're gonna start with 130,then you need to select an H-rated tire,so we can get a circumference.
*The surface velocity of the tread (11,400 feet/per minute),divided by the circumference will tell you your axle rpm.
*We need the engine's redline rpm.
*At redline,whatever your top transmission gear is,it's ratio will determine the output shaft/driveshaft rpm.
*between the driveshaft rpm and the axle rpm,this will determine your quick-change ring and pinion ratio to have you at redline as you exit the one-mile trap at 130.
*If you're gonna turn around and try for the 150,we've gotta start all over.
- you'll need V-rated tires and their circumference.
- the tires will be spinning at 13,200 surface feet per minute.
- with the new circumference we can calculate the axle rpm.
- the engine,again,will be at redline rpm.
- top gear will establish the driveshaft rpm.
- From this you can select your ring and pinion.
*I don't know what horsepower is needed for 13,200 FPM in 10,560-feet.
*the rolling resistance for V-rated tires is higher than for H-rated,so we'd need some more horsepower just for these tires.
*aerodynamic power required will be 33% higher.
* If you're going for 'time' you can streamline all you want.
* If you're going for a record,you'll be severely limited on aero,and will have to make it up with more horsepower.
*If we had the horsepower and total race weight for the 150-mph
Karmann Ghia LSR car,we'd have a power-to-weight ratio necessary for 150 in the 2-mile!;)

freebeard 09-22-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

*If we had the horsepower and total race weight for the 150-mph
Karmann Ghia LSR car
,we'd have a power-to-weight ratio necessary for 150 in the 2-mile!
[ears perk up] We're going to need a citation on that, I thought this was about a Dodge pickup. :confused:

aerohead 09-22-2018 04:30 PM

Dodge

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 579701)
[ears perk up] We're going to need a citation on that, I thought this was about a Dodge pickup. :confused:

The Ghia is the only car I can think of that did 150-mph in the 2-mile.If we knew it's total weight and horsepower,that's all Gumby would need to know to design his Dodge.:)

freebeard 09-22-2018 06:37 PM

Was it blue?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/pr...716e139470f0f3

I could ask here.

aerohead 09-26-2018 10:42 AM

blue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 579737)

It was a screaming yellow zonkers color,like my '62 Ghia (chrome yellow).And somehow I thought the owner/driver was associated with us here at Eco.
It may be the only VW to go 150-mph.He was out there in 2012.

freebeard 09-26-2018 11:29 AM

The blue one turned 146mph.

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/wp-co...17-300x199.jpg
Larry's Old Volks Home Ghia Land Speed Racer | MyRideisMe.com

aerohead 09-26-2018 12:14 PM

Larry's

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 580043)

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe he's shared some data on his car.I'll look when I can.Thanks freebeard!

aerohead 09-26-2018 02:04 PM

calculator

Couldn't find any specifics on Larry's Ghia,but I found this:
RSR Aero-horsepower Calculator-RB Racing
It's at the end of the 'document.'
Plug in drag coefficient
Frontal area
Weight
Speed
and hit the button,for
required horsepower
and aero horsepower loss is also provided
I did it for Spirit and it gave me 128-mph,at a discounted 147.17 horsepower.
It's out ahead of nothing
I threw some numbers in for Gumby's Dodge:
Cd 0.45
36.9 sq-ft
4,000-lbs
130-mph
= 298.82-horsepower (close to my Mini Cooper-based estimate)
With same specs and 150-mph
= 453.64-horsepower
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If 'Tonto' was slicked down to Spirit's 2012 drag coefficient he'd need only
281.4-horsepower for 150-mph.But they'd only let him do it for time,not a record.

freebeard 09-26-2018 03:58 PM

There ya go! That's what you were hoping the yellow Ghia might lead to. :thumbup:

gumby79 09-28-2018 04:14 AM

Was hoping to achieve 1mph per Hp, but almost 2mph per HP stock???

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds promising tuning limits for my injection pump is 350Hp with minimal compromise as this only 50 above the original designed. 400 cuts life span dramatically. Swap to a P7100 like Skyjing has offered7-800Hp.
So its doable with a stock motor and a cupola bolt ons.
Power to speed ??
I was hoping for 1: 1 HP:MPH dyno said ~50hp /70Tq at gov limit 2500/92.5 mph (I should have put 4th gear on a togle switch, dyno had same truble I had at Bonneville downshifting .)
1:1.85 hp:mph . The page with the correction factor said uncorrected 148hp 396tq was the best it could muster @5,950' 85°f 175hp 491tq with correction factor(lab conditions eg sea level, 25c 77f ect ect). There trying to find the corresponding graph for me.
The one they gave me and I posted shows 115hp 309tq . To the ground .
The 2nd one 1/4mi with several down shifts peaked at 95HP 1/2 way through 3rd gear fell off (this is very pronounced on steeper on ramps) made the 3-4 shift droping to ~ 40-45 hp then peeking agen followed by 3 4-3 down shifts. 1st gear is the only gear thar duse not show the defuel start at 2000rpm
The torque curve shows the tq to the ground. Including the amplification from the gear sets, the shock load torque of the 1-2 shift is about 470 lb droping from 83to 25hp as the motor slows from 2500 to 1200.
------

300hp will require more than just turning the screws.
Planning stages

Quick change rear. If i gear for peak power insted of peek gov my target will be at 2000rpm

Trans

Turbocharger

I'm looking at a Borgwarner S362SX E with. 88AR wast gated.(I like how they have both volutes wastegated individually on a single actuator) set to 30psi. (Head bolt / valve spring safe limit) sitting on top of a BD diverter valve which will turn this into a .44 air ratio below 12 PSI this should improve my drivability around town but leave the top-end open for my Bonneville aspirations this turbo will support 91lbs/min (10 hp/lb flywheel 7hp/lbto the ground) 500hp in excess of what my injection pump is capable of.

Option 2
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1538118479
SwitchbladeTurbothis option is a spin-off of a Variable geometry turbo . It also diverts the air at the nozzle end of the turbine housing with a shutter that moves out to expose more of the turbine wheel as boost builds. And injectors

aerohead 02-06-2019 11:12 AM

nice meetup with Gumby79

Gumby's been in the area and up to shenanigans for awhile,and was able to get over for a meet-up on one of his days off.
We got to spend a long day together,pouring over details of the Bonneville project.
He continues to push steady on the Dodge, and with the SCTA rulebook,has all the critical info. he'll need to satisfy the safety requirements for an attempt on a land speed record.Pretty cool!
We did some tuft-testing and captured some stills and video,to sort out aft-body flow he was curious about.
The truck pulls strong.Acceleration is impressive.It will be fun to watch the project evolve.:):thumbup:
We wrangled some pretty okay Mexican food too!;)