EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Long Time Lurker (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/long-time-lurker-40109.html)

Gasguzzler 03-29-2022 07:50 AM

Long Time Lurker

Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I am in the process of downsizing/ trying to save money and going back to college. Part of this process includes getting rid of my gas guzzling v8 pickup truck.
I am a mechanic so I picked up a 2wd 5 speed s10 for $400 with 150,000 miles and a blown up V6 (the ladies grandson tried to do a burnout). I will probably rebuild the V6 as I need the extra torque from time to time for towing and doing truck stuff as well as pulling grades in the mountains.
I considered a diesel swap but I do not have the time and money for that.
Reliability is important and rebuilding the factory motor should net the most reliable setup. Once I get the truck going I will do some baseline mpg tests before beginning modifications.
My goal is to hit 30mpg highway with an unloaded truck cruising 55-60mph.
I consider myself to be a very eco conscious driver. I dont use brakes, I accelerate quite slowly, engine off if sitting at a light, and I keep the rpms consistent based on the speed limit.
I managed to get 18mpg out of a lifted v8 pickup just by driving carefully.
I am very interested in stealthy aerodynamic mods as I like a clean looking vehicle.

freebeard 03-29-2022 12:29 PM

Welcome.

What do you think of the half-tonneau?

Gasguzzler 03-29-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 665236)
Welcome.

What do you think of the half-tonneau?

I would like to experiment with some sort of bed cover. It currently has a fiberglass campershell. I plan to test mpg with and without the shell before beginning modifications.

freebeard 03-29-2022 01:14 PM

Have you seen this before?

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...02-5-26-32.png

The pizza parlor manager knew this improves the gas mileage, but not by how much. Compare with the Camping World Cup race truck:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d1/d9...200705929e.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d1/d9...200705929e.jpg

You could get to a side-loading open bed and lockable storage at the rear.

oil pan 4 03-29-2022 02:50 PM

Waiting game till gas is $4 or $5 a gallon is not the time to discover fuel efficient vehicles.
You are better off parking the gas guzzler because right now, you would just about have to pay someone to take it. That way you don't that get screwed twice. A used fuel efficient vehicle is going to cost at least 50% more than it did 2 years ago.

Gasguzzler 03-29-2022 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 665243)
Have you seen this before?

You could get to a side-loading open bed and lockable storage at the rear.

Interesting. Curious what it looks like in a wind tunnel. A wing on a tonneau is a nice look too.

I like lockable storage.

Gasguzzler 03-29-2022 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 665254)
Waiting game till gas is $4 or $5 a gallon is not the time to discover fuel efficient vehicles.
You are better off parking the gas guzzler because right now, you would just about have to pay someone to take it. That way you don't that get screwed twice. A used fuel efficient vehicle is going to cost at least 50% more than it did 2 years ago.

I've always been into fuel efficient vehicles. I had a Honda with a grill dam and a kill switch that got 45-50mpg. I had an awd subaru with a grill damn, kill switch, and belly pan that would get 35-40mpgs.
I've done some experiments with diesels and electric conversions.
A friend of mine and I put a 3 cylinder Kubota diesel in a geo metro and managed to get around 80mpg on used motor oil.
So I wouldn't say I am just discovering fuel efficient cars. These cars have been run through the ground and replaced with cheaper and less efficient vehicles.

My v8 truck owes me nothing. I bought it for 500 bucks used, spent a grand to make in run and drive, and made a living for the past 3 years doing landscaping hauling cars, campers, tractors and scrap. I have it listed at kbb value and just need it gone. I am going back to school and moving to the city so having a big truck is no longer necessary.

I have noticed ecobox car prices have gone through the roof but so has everything else. I don't want to set a record as I will always own a truck, I just decided to join the forum to chat about ways to make a truck more efficient.

freebeard 03-29-2022 06:16 PM

You could go to ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/s-10-trying-have-both-ways and compare notes. He's got one post and no response.

atomicradish 03-30-2022 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 665254)

Not true. Used vehicles are still fetching a premium regardless of the MPG. No one can predict the future of gas prices and they certainly could go back down in the next couple of years depending on what our government does. If you need to tow, and many people do, nothing else will do but a large displacement V8.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-30-2022 08:30 PM

I would be quite tempted to replace that blown V6 for a turbodiesel, yet maybe finding a cost-effective one which wouldn't be technically illegal to fit into your S10 is not so easy back there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by atomicradish (Post 665297)
If you need to tow, and many people do, nothing else will do but a large displacement V8.

Though the Vortec 5300 is not the largest V8, that 4-cyl Duramax can get the job done as well. I have even seen one being used to pull a 5th-wheel trailer.