EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Longtime efficiency Nut, New to this site (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/longtime-efficiency-nut-new-site-28254.html)

skunkbait 02-21-2014 02:18 AM

Longtime efficiency Nut, New to this site

My son (Idratherbeflying) turned me on to this site. I am very impressed. For years I've been viewed as that "crazy guy who's obsessed with fuel mileage". Sometimes I'm pretty serious about it, and other times it's just a hobby (as I'm also a big fan of horsepower, speed and acceleration). It's great to see so many likeminded folks!

I've been getting in the low 30's with my stock 2001 Buick LeSabre, so I guess my driving habits are pretty good. It has 337k on the odometer, and has cost me less than $500 in repairs (tires and oil changes excluded) over the last 160k miles. But I'm about to start driving my '91 CRX (DX), and hopefully even better efficieny is in my future. I commute 130 miles (RT) daily, so I have good opportunities to try out new mods and driving methods.

digital rules 02-21-2014 07:25 AM

Yikes, 130 miles round trip commute. Hopefully you are moving for the whole trip!!

sarguy01 02-21-2014 08:23 AM

Wow, if you are getting low 30's in a Buick, I am sure you will do really well in the Civic.

I think a lot of people on this site love horsepower and performance. But, we all know commuting doesn't need HP and performance. As another member once put, "A car is a transportation appliance". I'll save my money and commute in my economical Civic, so one day I can afford to restore my Dodge Dart with a twin turbo 408 stroker (or whatever engine I choose...). Then again, the Dart will be driven for fun, not to commute!

MetroMPG 02-21-2014 09:28 AM

Welcome to the forum, Mr Skunkbait.

Congrats on that Buick - impressive numbers all around, especially cost/mile.

elhigh 02-21-2014 09:47 AM

Those LeSabres and their other G platform stablemates will surprise you. They're almost sofas on wheels but on the highway they're pretty long-legged, one fillup will exceed your bladder capacity.

Start a Garage page for your cars, it's fun watching the numbers!

digital rules 02-21-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 412077)
. . . . .one fillup will exceed your bladder capacity.

Just loved the V6 Buicks/Pontiacs when renting a car for long highway trips. They did just as well as most of the 4 cylinder offerings & were much more comfortable.

Took a trip through the mountains of western MD & hit 150 miles before the gauge moved at all from above the full mark. Thought the gauge was broken at first.

skunkbait 02-22-2014 03:17 AM

The 130 mile commute really does get old. But I only have to drive through one small town, while the rest is highway. When all goes well, I only have to make 2-3 full stops on the trip.

I really have been impressed with the LeSabre. Mechanically, it has been an extraordinary car. But, most of the "whistles and bells" (electric windows, remote trunk unlock, and 2 of the vents) are pretty much out of commission. The headliner is sagging, and the check-engine light has been on for at least the last 80k. I just refuse to spend any more money than absolutely neccesary on such an un-sexy car. I have hit 2 deer with it, and the car has scars to prove it. It really is a rattle-trap, but The only time in the last 175k (it had 162k when I bought it) that it has layed down on me, was when the MAF-sensor went out. Even with the MAF unplugged, I've still managed 29-32mpg consistently!

My son drove the CRX on a 400 mile trip last week, and managed 41.7 mpg at 75 mph. Since I usually keep it around 60-65 mph, I am expecting slightly better mileage, once he brings it back to me.

elhigh 02-22-2014 08:34 AM

I had a leaky fuel pump in my old '78 Civic, it was literally spraying gas - onto the exhaust manifold! - and still averaging 30mpg before I got it fixed.

You think 30mpg is pretty good until you get over 40. Then you think 45 is good until you hit 50.

Good luck with your Cricksie. I like those little cars.