EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Looking for Geo Metro info (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/looking-geo-metro-info-3936.html)

Chris D. 07-20-2008 04:22 AM

Looking for Geo Metro info

I'd like to learn as much about the Geo Metro and all its counterparts..

Who made the 1.0 and 1.3 engines for Geo?

Options? basic features?

Weight?

Configurations?

I want to get one, but before I buy anything I research the heck out of it first..
I know I want a car with OBDII electronics to make my life a little easier..
Are these MPFI or TBI? Mileage 1.0 vs 1.3? I know I want a manual for sure.

Took me 7 months before I had the info needed to purchase my current vehicle..

If there's a one site tells all, link me please :thumbup:

my searches have turned up somewhat checkered..

akcapeco 07-20-2008 05:20 AM

One of several good places to start might be the Wikipedia article on the Suzuki Cultus, the progentitor of the Metro, Pontiac Firefly, Suzuki Swift, et al.

This has links to the GM M Platform as well as the Suzuki G Family of Engines.

Like other Wikipedia articles, its up to you to vet the information contained there, but these articles happen to cite numerous verifiable sources.

For a 'living' source of information, by all means head to TeamSWIFT.net -- this is the most active and current forum dedicated to the Metro and its siblings.

Will 07-20-2008 05:26 AM

Good morning,
For the real experts I would look at the following members: MetroMPG (see MetroMPG.com), Johnny Mullet (he has a great build thread on a 2nd gen.), and Coyote X (he has a great build thread on a 1st gen.). However, here is what I know:

The Geo Metro, Pontiac FireFly, and Suzuki Swift are the same car. The engines were made by Suzuki. They are pretty reliable, but prone to problems with the #2 cyl. Some, including me, think that this is due to the design of the PCV system.

The car's other main problems are that the lower control arms are prone to rust at the mounting points. This is the most fatal flaw. I would look close at this area before buying a Metro. The dash is also very prone to sun fade, but who cares?

All later Metros are TBI. I think you have to go back to the first ones in the late 80's to find carbs.

The manual 5 speed is a must in a Metro, as the auto does not have OD. The mpg (normal driving) is far better in a manual.

The best thing I can say about the Metro is that it is simple. I rebuilt my 1.0L with just a Chilton's, and I am not a mechanic.

They are old, but in my opinion there is nothing better for the price and ease of maint. They are very forgiving cars.

Will 07-20-2008 05:30 AM

By the way, the second gen Metro is OBDII

akcapeco 07-20-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will (Post 45732)
Good morning,
They are pretty reliable, but prone to problems with the #2 cyl. Some, including me, think that this is due to the design of the PCV system.

Will is referring here to the 1.0 liter only, which might not be so apparent to a noob.

Ditto re lower control arms.

Chris D. 07-25-2008 03:08 AM

I'm shocked that this platform was passed around to so many makes like a doobie at a Dead head concert..

Daewoo
GM/Holden
Opel
Suzuki

wow, I'm sure I missed something LOL

akcapeco 07-25-2008 05:59 AM

Global platform sharing and badge engineering isn't uncommon.

By the same token, the Cultus cars were marketed under so many nameplates and under so many arrangements, I wonder if it didn't in diminish Suzuki's global brand recognition.

The currently manufactured Swift (Europe, Oceana, Asia) doesn't suffer the same badge-o-rama. marketing.

Chris D. 07-25-2008 05:45 PM

Some of the euro metro cars just look sporty,
I wish some of that sheet metal made it over here...

Its amazing that the US market gets such bland looking cars
compared to the euro markets wicked cool looking vehicles..

GM should have just left the Holden cars as is when they brought them
here insted of the bland make overs... for example the GTO blaaaaaaahh..

Bicycle Bob 01-17-2009 03:51 AM

My favourite would be the XFI model from the early 90s. That body is significantly slimmer and lighter than the later models with OBD II, but those engines all have EFI and on-board diganostics. The XFI 3-cyl (with all-black bumpers) had the highest final drive (also available on the 8-valve) and a high-economy camshaft, plus other tweaks for mileage. The base model had body-colour bumper tops, and the luxury model's bumpers are all coloured. The exhaust valves are prone to burning, but are easily replaced. See "Sam's Method" on the Metro forum archives. Apart from the Achilles heel of rusted suspension mounts, they are as durable as Toyotas - one guy ran a fleet of dozens of them for deliveries in NYC, and got a quarter million miles out of each.
For years, I was put off by the prospect of a 3-cyl engine, but it is more efficient, and unlike a 4-cyl, it does not stop all the pistons at once. It is one of the lightest cars available; well under a ton, and it goes well in bad weather until high-centered. The optional 13" wheels help with that and raise the gearing too. Prices quadrupled early last year, but there are some bargains re-appearing.

blueflame 01-17-2009 08:34 PM

In NZ our Suzuki Swifts dont have the 1000cc 3cyc, or I have not come across one. We only have the 1300 and 1500cc 4cyl engines