Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
Some nice Android Applications

Not sure where this belongs instrumentation seemed the closest fit :-)

Found a WONDERFUL android app today (I got android running on my touch pro 2)

Its called "Fuel Log" (the pro version is under $3)

Gorgeous fast simple app with insane amounts of nice detail and auto calculations.

https://market.android.com/details?i...from_developer

Here are some screenies I took. (the author is even willing to help you convert your ecomodder log to work on this) He is converting mine this weekend. I am hoping maybe we can find an automated way to do this???

if ecomodder could work with this developer (or some other) to SYNC a mobile app with ecomodder. IE I enter my fuel log info on the phone and in the background it updates my ecomodder log. now THAT would be killer.

I will also post some screenies of the "Gas Buddy" app (also free) another wonderful cool app.

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Fuel Log.

soon as you open it you see your "fillups" very elegant simple and information rich. Color help you spot desired info. tap "add fill up" and you get the fill screen. the date is already set to today and you can change this easily enough.

as you touch each field a nice large finger friendly touch pad pops up for you to enter your data.

it also calculates OODLES of information as you enter more fill ups (averages totals etc.. CPM etc..) it will also allow you to add in OTHER costs (repairs maintenance registration etc.. anything you want) and incorporate all this data. VERY nice app.

it will also GRAPH this data for you and it fully internation compatible (l/km imperial etc.. etc..) and it will auto convert your data between the two as well !!

I also found Car Locator. another free app great for finding your parked car (more notes below)

https://market.android.com/details?i...atorfull&hl=en

Here are the screenies

My Desktop :-) Love my Neytiri :-)

Gas Buggy. this lets you in real time see gas prices (and how old they are) and you can update the price right from the phone. it lets you auto set if its the same price (why update if its the same price?? so people know that price is "still good" I have seen stations change price 3 times in one day.

WONDERFUL app. also gives you station information (amenities type of fuel concession etc..) and even a picture and if there is none you can take one and upload it right from your phone.

This is Car Locator - if you park in the city especially one you don't visit often or in a GIANT parking lot like at a sports show or something like that where its hard to remember where you car is.

when you park you open this app and tap the little guy with the flag (bottom right) this MARKS your location so when its time to return just open the app and it shows you where you are where the car is how far and what direction AND a radar type screen and map.

it also has a parking timer where if you have to feed a parking meter you can set a timer to remind you to go feed the meter.

Very nifty little app

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
the background update to EM would make me buy it.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
well for now GET the free version. and start working the ecomodder folks to maybe work with the guy (I have NO affiliation with ecomodder or fuel log I just like them both)

I think the only thing missing in the free version is no notes and no graphs and it has a small ad bar. otherwise same thing. I only paid because I want notes and graphs and I liked it a lot and for $2.61 what the heck :-)
Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
ecl
EcoModding Lurker

camry - '87 toyota camry le
90 day: 30.94 mpg (US)
I got the fuel log one and so far I like it. Only added two logs and it reads the same as my other app acar. It also has a free version, which I have. This app also let's you track your overall expenses for the car including purchase price,, services, and parts. Just thought I would through that one out there to.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
ohh did not see "acar" I will have to go try that one. So far though very impressed with fuel log. very "clean" and elegant and I like that.

down to 57mpg this tank. ALMOST ran empty. for the first time I got the "turn right" engine sputters issue I thought I was out of gas but on straightening out it picked up again. I made it to the gas station 4 miles away no incident Phewwww ;-) it was POURING raining it would suck to run out of gas in that.

first click 10.32 gallons (versus the 10.31 from the guino NOT BAD !!) I decided to "top it" just to see.

took 10.667 gallons. WOW. never put that much gas in it before best I can recall. I had a 10.75 gal fill once but I am 99% sure the pump ripped me off on that cause it was NOT an empty tank :-)
Old 09-19-2011, 05:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Android App

This looks really nice and helpful.Will try it for sure in my ARCHOS 101.Hope it will work.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SC1 - '94 Saturn SC1 Basic
90 day: 32.25 mpg (US)

Echo - '01 Toyota Echo
90 day: 41.73 mpg (US)
I've got a few I use right now with my Nexus S.

For tracking information while driving, I use Torque ($5). It's not free, but it provides a lot of features, including logging of chosen variables, the ability to use add-ons (though not many exist at this time), and a lot of customization in the display. It's still being actively developed to include new features, fix bugs, and be more compatible with more vehicles. Works fine with the XR7 Bluetooth OBD-II tool I've used in the family Echo and Town and Country. For maintenance it also reads (all) and explains (most) trouble codes, in addition to recording Snapshot information and resetting the ECU trouble code indicator. There is a free version, but it is REALLY out of date compared to the full version, and really only exists to ensure everything is communicating properly (though, being so out of date, it will throw lots of false negatives).

I also use Car Maintenance Reminder Pro ($2). I'd use the light version, but I got the Pro version for free in the Amazon Appstore. In addition to tracking all sorts of fun statistics and generating graphs, it also reminds you about maintenance you should be performing on your car, with the option to change the maintenance intervals (say, bump oil changes to 3,500 miles instead of 3,000) and include custom reminders (like change your A/C Coolant every... actually, I have no clue how often this should be done, but it's just an example). The free version is basically the same, but with some artificial ceilings on the number of vehicles you can track and backing up data.

I also use Gas Buddy. It's very nifty tool, and it's dramatically improved over when I first started using it (it used to be ungodly slow). It's still kind of wonky. Nice thing is that they have a Mobile Web UI, so people who are running devices that don't have a dedicated app can still use the service (such as the BlackBerry). The Web version has all the same features, including locating you with GPS (if your browser supports it).
Old 09-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
The PRC.

Going to try Torque soon.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
Going to try Torque soon.

I've downloaded that-looks good,

However I dunno if my 1994 build iS will have OBDII..

Reckon I'll need to raid under the steering wheel to see.

Where are you getting the USB dongle from?

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------
Old 09-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320touring View Post
I've downloaded that-looks good,

However I dunno if my 1994 build iS will have OBDII..

Reckon I'll need to raid under the steering wheel to see.

Where are you getting the USB dongle from?
£10 one from ebay - hang on have a linky

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD ELM 327 Interface wirelss Torque Scanner Scantool | eBay

The Torque Wiki suggests this may work or may not, but for £10 its worth a punt. I need to work out where to put the phone, Brodit clips are spendy.