EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Looking for hypermilers in Tucson, Ariz. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/looking-hypermilers-tucson-ariz-2797.html)

Newsgeek 06-04-2008 01:16 PM

Looking for hypermilers in Tucson, Ariz.

Hi everyone,
My name Shelley Shelton, and I'm the consumer issues reporter for the Arizona Daily Star here in Tucson. I'm working on a story about hypermiling and am having a really tough time finding a local person or two who's actively doing it. I hate to think that we Tucsonans are oblivious to such things! Is there anyone out there from Tucson or Southern Arizona who might have a few minutes to spare today for a relatively quick (10-20 minute) phone interview? I'd really appreciate any help and insight you can offer. My direct line is (520) 434-4086, and my email is sshelton@azstarnet.com.

Many thanks in advance,
Shelley Shelton
Arizona Daily Star

adam728 06-05-2008 07:38 AM

Not really a hardcore hypermiler here, but I do live in Tucson, and have gained better mileage by not driving like an idiot. I know you said "today", which was yesterday, but I will give a call later this afternoon when I make my escape from Mexico....

MetroMPG 06-05-2008 08:19 AM

You may not be "hardcore", but the numbers you're pulling from the Malibu suggest you know a thing or two about driving efficiently.

I talked to Shelley yesterday. She won't bite. Friendly & knowledgeable - and admits she's a mild hypermiler herself, keeping her freeway speeds down and an eye on the MPG display in her car.

Good luck!

adam728 06-05-2008 12:44 PM

The numbers I'm pulling? Oh, you mean that 46.5%. Wait a minute while I update my fuel log and put a hurting on that number. :(

Been driving into Mexico and then spending a lot of time waiting in line to get back across. I almost feel like shutting the car off and pushing it as we move thru.

zabadave 07-20-2008 11:20 AM

Adam-
Yeah, that's a fact...border wait times are sometimes INCREDIBLE. Been there, done that...lots of trips to Hermosillo, Sonora. Makes you want to push to move 2 or 3 feet.
Hey, by the way, have you ever checked your mileage
on Mexican gas vs. the U.S. stuff? I have found AT LEAST a 10% difference in Mexican
gas (better) mileage. All I can come up with is the difference in formulation of the fuel...
Mexico uses no "oxygenators"--alcohol and such, just GASOLINE.
Ironic that is, too...I remember all too well when Mexican gas was BAD; cars would stumble and run poorly on either grade!

backsidesnap 03-11-2012 11:23 PM

I live in San Diego and was thinking about the possibility of ethanol free gas in Mexico! The border wait would seemingly defeat the 10 percent possible gain. But it would be fun to try. Maybe I could fill ip the rank and a couple of 5 gal tanks and figure a time to get back with minimal wait at the border. I have my passport ready! The only thing is Mexican gas smells like ammonia, and plus I might get murdered, which on principle I'm against.

UFO 03-12-2012 01:17 PM

Can't imagine what toxic soup is added to Mexican gasoline to get the octane up enough to run in a typical car. At the very least they use lead or MTBE, so I would rather run ethanol and spare someone's health.