EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Looking for ideas on small AWD economy car (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/looking-ideas-small-awd-economy-car-4511.html)

pint 08-13-2008 10:47 AM

Looking for ideas on small AWD economy car

I'm really need to buy an inexpensive high mpg car as my DD. I drive 25K per year for a living in Colorado. Been thinking about a 90's Metro or Civic, but something AWD would be great. Any thoughts on a Subaru Justy or a Mazda 323 GTX? What other options are out there? Looking to get 30 mpg's as a minimum.

dann_04 08-13-2008 11:33 AM

I've always wanted an awd justy, but they are hard to find as many people rally race them lol. But here in the U.S. market the pickings are slim in the awd econobox area. But good luck!

bryn 08-13-2008 11:36 AM

suzuki samaurai only use 4x4 when you reall need it

IndyIan 08-13-2008 11:55 AM

Have you tried a Metro or Civic with some skinny snowtires? We have a set of 155/80R13 snowtires and basically unless you're on ice or the bottom of the car is dragging in heavy snow you are mobile.
We also have an 03 4x4 chevy tracker with snow tires and it is better for going up steep hills on ice or snow but on a highway or relatively level road there is no major difference.
I'll also say in 99% of winter driving snow tires trump AWD or 4x4 with "all" season tires. Basically hill climbing or towing on snow is where 4x4 shines.
There were AWD Camrys and Tercel wagons, I doubt the Camry would get 30 mpg but the Tercel might.
Ian

pint 08-13-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyIan (Post 53018)
Have you tried a Metro or Civic with some skinny snowtires? We have a set of 155/80R13 snowtires and basically unless you're on ice or the bottom of the car is dragging in heavy snow you are mobile.
We also have an 03 4x4 chevy tracker with snow tires and it is better for going up steep hills on ice or snow but on a highway or relatively level road there is no major difference.
I'll also say in 99% of winter driving snow tires trump AWD or 4x4 with "all" season tires. Basically hill climbing or towing on snow is where 4x4 shines.
There were AWD Camrys and Tercel wagons, I doubt the Camry would get 30 mpg but the Tercel might.
Ian

Thanks for the input. I plan on snow tires no matter what I buy. I travel through the rockies all year round and need to be able to get into some fairly remote places off the 2 lane highways in the back country. I visit many jobsites and they don't always do a good job of snow removal because most of the contractors are driving monster pickups! That's why I'm thinking AWD with snow tires. Won't need it a ton, but when I do I really do!

Vince-HX 08-13-2008 12:55 PM

some civic wagons came with RT-AWD

They still have the potential to get some good FE because the rear only engages when the front slips. Oh, and you can find them for sub-$2000

A vx or hx motor swap and you have a capable awd vehicle that would get 45+. Keeping the stock engine I think 30+ would be pretty easy.

IndyIan 08-13-2008 12:55 PM

A 90's Honda CRV might do 30mpg with a 5 spd. I guess my tracker is getting 28 mpg with no mods but me, it is the last of the small 4 cyl SUVs with real 4x4, if that appeals to you. 90's Kia sportages also have real 4x4 and 4 cyl motor from Mazda. I imagine it has the same efficiency as the tracker but its motor is peppier. Suzuki had an AWD Aerio and now the SX4 is AWD.

On paper 4x4 is better than AWD in low speed "not getting stuck in the rutted snow" manuevers but I've never played with an AWD car enough to say how much better 4x4 is.

Many parttime systems like the CRV require front wheel spin to bring in the back axle and then they become true 4x4 for a while, I believe all the toyota's have a manual choice between 2wd, AWD, and then locking the center dif for 4x4.
Ian

wagonman76 08-13-2008 12:59 PM

How about something like a Dodge Colt? I dunno, just trying to think of something small and 4WD. Didnt Mitsubishi make something similar in the early 90s? Id say you want 4WD instead of AWD since you can disengage it when you dont need it and get better mileage.

IndyIan 08-13-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonman76 (Post 53042)
How about something like a Dodge Colt? I dunno, just trying to think of something small and 4WD. Didnt Mitsubishi make something similar in the early 90s? Id say you want 4WD instead of AWD since you can disengage it when you dont need it and get better mileage.

In my experience, all the AWD, 4x4 systems are pretty close in the amount of extra drag they create. All the parts are turning in both systems all the time weither they are transmitting power or not. I don't have the numbers in front of me but pretty much all the 4 cyl AWD and 4x4 vehicles rate very similar mpg numbers to each other, be it a subaru or a tracker or a CRV.

I like Vince's idea of the newer efficient engine in an old AWD civic but I still think it would use more fuel than we would think makes sense. 40 mpg would be hard to get I bet.
Ian

Vince-HX 08-13-2008 01:18 PM

Oh, and i forgot the civic wagovan also has a lever on the tranny to make it FWD only

And people have put over 400hp through the stock drivetrain :)

Red 08-13-2008 02:08 PM

A good FWD car with snow rubber would do almost as well as an AWD car. Otherwise you can't beat a Subi

pint 08-13-2008 03:06 PM

Great feedback everyone. Thanks a lot! Keep it coming!

bryn 08-14-2008 12:00 AM

what about the mid 90's rav-4, epa claimed 27mpg highway 30+ should be easy

almightybmw 08-14-2008 02:01 AM

I own a '90 Mazda Protege, the simple version of the 323 GTX, made 1990-1991. No turbo, open center diff vs. VLSD. SOHC 1.8L vs. DOHC 1.6L. I've gotten anywhere from 17 intown (I was having too much fun on the snow and ice) to 35mpg on the highways in Alaska at 65mph. The 4WD transmission has a diff lock motor, to go from open AWD to locked 4WD. Not useful on the highway, but when the snow is deep, and the driveway is near, it works best.

It also has a cult following. A nice DOHC 1.8L from the Protege LX (90-94) and the transmission from the 90-94 GTX or GTR (Europe or Japan only) makes it a tough driver that still gets 35mpg at 65mph.

I currently have the DOHC 1.8L and GTR tranny in my Protege, and I have no doubt I can get 35mpg out of it. Taller tires, shorter low gears, taller high gears, some extreme custom weight reduction (its going rally, so I don't need glass windows) make it possible.

I'm slightly biased if you didn't notice ;)

Johnny Mullet 08-14-2008 07:04 AM

Ford made an AWD Tempo!

YouTube - Tribute to my Ford Tempo

SuperTrooper 08-14-2008 12:15 PM

In the late 80s Toyota made a 4wd Tercel wagon.

http://www.tacn.nl/Meetings/Passau%202005/Tercel4WD.jpg

pint 08-16-2008 06:27 PM

Any other thoughts on good AWD/4WD economy vehicles???

Unheard 08-16-2008 08:15 PM

This may not be much help to you but..

For a small 4wd with good mpg you cant get better than the fiat panda. Its not sold the States the only part of North America ist sold is mexico. they sell it with the 1.2L engine.

In the UK we can now get it a 1.3 diesel multijet that will do 53 uk mpg

The 1.2 will return 42.8 uk mpg

Its 2 wheel drive until it looses traction then the 4wd kicks in its quite a good little 4x4

YouTube - Fiat Panda 4x4 vs Range Rover

also have a look into Bridgestone Blizzak tyres they may be the answer

Bridgestone Blizzak Passenger/Performance Tire Reviews. Buying guides & consumer product reviews at Epinions.com

pint 08-16-2008 08:24 PM

Unheard - thanks for the info, but I am in the USA. We don't get any of the cool stuff!

Johnny Mullet 08-16-2008 08:59 PM

Just to let you know, a Metro equipped with a good set of stock tires gets around pretty good in the snow. The skinny tires give you great traction and the ride height is perfect.

Mate a Metro with snow tires and you would be set!

pint 08-16-2008 09:23 PM

Yeah, I keep coming back to the Metro. I will probably budget $3-$4K. From the prices I'm seeing, I think I could buy/build a pretty sweet reliable Metro for that? I've seen quite a few 1996-97's around Denver for $1,500-$2,000 with 100-150K.

Unheard 08-16-2008 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pint (Post 53892)
Unheard - thanks for the info, but I am in the USA. We don't get any of the cool stuff!

I know thats why i said it may not help lol

I thought i would just mention it as i have no idea of what import is like between mexico and the states.

Johnny Mullet 08-16-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pint (Post 53904)
I will probably budget $3-$4K. I think I could buy/build a pretty sweet reliable Metro for that? .

I built a 60 MPG Metro that had problems right from the start for less than $1000.00 and it saves me that in fuel savings already.

wagonman76 08-18-2008 12:25 PM

They made an AWD Pontiac 6000 too. The mpg was not that good, but it was a cool car.

I agree about the Blizzaks. I had a set once, they were unstoppable in the snow. Winter driving was like summer driving. Even as they wore down, they were great. Right now Ive got a set of Winterforces, they are good but Blizzaks are the best.