EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Looking into a kill switch (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/looking-into-kill-switch-8315.html)

bkruger 05-10-2009 10:23 PM

Looking into a kill switch

After experimenting will engine-off coasting for the first time tonight, I'm considering installing a kill switch and start switch. I read several threads on these and from what I've read, you can kill the ignition, injectors, or fuel pump. Which of these is best? I don't want to leave unburned gas in the cylinders, or hurt the fuel pump. My vehicle is a 93 Dodge Shadow and my last tank averaged 24mpg city. A kill switch seems like the next necessary step to boosting my mpg. Any advice? Thanks.

cfg83 05-11-2009 12:14 AM

bkruger -

Welcome to EM! I checked your car. Because it's a manual, you can probably do the kill switch first and use bump-starts at first. You can always use the key or install the start switch second.

My opinion is that different drivetrains have different "best" solutions. I know that for my Saturn, intercepting the fuel injector fuse will work, but I haven't got around to it (no excuse).

CarloSW2

bkruger 05-11-2009 03:39 PM

It seems there is no diagram for my fuse box anywhere. Is there an easy way to tell which fuse is for the fuel injectors?

Ford Man 05-11-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkruger (Post 103546)
It seems there is no diagram for my fuse box anywhere. Is there an easy way to tell which fuse is for the fuel injectors?

If you have the owners manual for your car there should be a diagram of the fuse panel in it and a description of what each fuse controls.

cfg83 05-11-2009 04:21 PM

bkruger -

Here is one clue :

WikiAnswers - Where is the fuel pump relay on a 1993 Dodge Shadow
Quote:

it is front of the master break cylnder on the drivers side the liitle black box that has the fuses has 4 plugins on the front of it sitting parell with the fuse box and the second plug is the relay to the best of my knoweldge, i had called oreilly autoparts and they looked it up on the computer , i do know that it was one of the four plugs for positive , i havent wnet bac an messed with mine as its been so cold and wet.
It's not the fuel injector fuse, but maybe it's one of the other fuses.

More good stuff here :

WikiAnswers - Dodge Shadow Questions including "Where is the heater blower motor in a 1988 4 cyl Dodge Shadow"

CarloSW2

bkruger 05-11-2009 10:02 PM

I've looked all through the manual and a Chilton manual. The main fuse box is only for lighting, radio, etc. Under the hood, there are 5 or so black boxes, with wires that runn all over the engine bay. I'm assuming this is ignition, injection, etc. I'l post pictures tomorrow unless someone with a similar model can tell me which one it is or a good way to put in a switch. I brought a 12v 20a switch. Is that sufficient?