EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Looks like Hummer's having a hard time with sales (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/looks-like-hummers-having-hard-time-sales-1377.html)

SVOboy 03-12-2008 03:45 PM

Looks like Hummer's having a hard time with sales

From ABG:

Quote:

The anti-icon of the green transportation movement is about to lose a sales outlet in the home of the American high-tech industry. With sales of HUMMERs down 22 percent in 2007 and gas prices well on their way to $4/gallon and more it's understandable that a dealer might be reluctant to spend several million dollars on a new showroom and off-road test track. Ron Battistella, owner of Silicon Valley HUMMER, stopped selling new vehicles early this month and will shut down the service department at the end of March after GM decided to take back his franchise. Even though Battistella won't be selling the big SUVs anymore, the area likely won't be without their military poseur fix for long. There are several other GM dealers in the area, one of whom will likely take over the franchise soon. The question is will any other dealer be willing to invest the money in the kind of dealership that GM wants.
EDIT: I post this because it is interesting to start seeing people change their driving habits, especially with the big things like which new car to buy.

cfg83 03-12-2008 07:35 PM

:)

Gone4 03-12-2008 07:48 PM

:thumbup:
This is double plus good.
If Dante were writing the Divine Comedy now, I would hope there would be a circle just for Hummer drivers.

tjts1 03-13-2008 10:52 AM

A lot of dealers in my area are refusing outright to take large SUVs and pickups on trade in. The dealer simply can't unload them anywhere near blue book.

s2man 03-13-2008 02:30 PM

Yeah, my friend at work got stuck with a Navigator in his divorce. He says he can't trade it in either.

Gone4 03-13-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 14019)
A lot of dealers in my area are refusing outright to take large SUVs and pickups on trade in. The dealer simply can't unload them anywhere near blue book.

I haven't heard about that here, yet. I hope they get recycled properly and can be used to make a car and tons of other things.

RH77 03-13-2008 05:53 PM

F-150

What's odd: the Ford F-150 is the best-selling vehicle in the U.S. -- over any other vehicle. There are tons (literally) of these on the road, and people buy more every year.

I wonder if that will change...

I need to look into what's in the top 10 overall, I s'pose...

RH77

tjts1 03-13-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 14094)
I wonder if that will change...

I need to look into what's in the top 10 overall, I s'pose...

RH77

The ford explorer (once the 5th best selling vehicle in America) was first over taken by the more fuel efficient CRV (direct competitor) and then the Prius. Stranger things have happened.