Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Kamming a sedan GrandPrix

Looking at http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...read-9040.html got me thinking about adding a Kammback to my 03 Grand Prix. I think I would be able attach one with double sided adhesive like used to attach rain guards.

The template I'm using is.
Click image for larger version

Name:	drag shape 1.gif
Views:	71
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	6583

With adding a kammback/partial kammback I'm not sure what line to use, so I attached this picture to get comments on what to follow.
Click image for larger version

Name:	all 3 kamm small1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	6584

I figure that I will end the kammback at the line in the window on number two. I think the best option will be #2 or 3 but would like to insight on this be fore I go to work on it.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
photo scale 1st!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Looking at http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...read-9040.html got me thinking about adding a Kammback to my 03 Grand Prix. I think I would be able attach one with double sided adhesive like used to attach rain guards.

The template I'm using is.
Attachment 6583

With adding a kammback/partial kammback I'm not sure what line to use, so I attached this picture to get comments on what to follow.
Attachment 6584

I figure that I will end the kammback at the line in the window on number two. I think the best option will be #2 or 3 but would like to insight on this be fore I go to work on it.
Phantom,first off,you'll either need to enlarge the photo of the Pontiac,or shrink the template image such that the bottom of the tires for car and template 'plane out' at 'ground' level,while the roofs are matched.
After that,what you did with the #2 image seems to capture the maximum roof height and location with the template correctly.
Once your image scale is correct,you're good to go!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
# 2 looks like the right shape. I that the car will look great with it!

what material are you going to use?
double sided tape holds nicely to colorplast, hot glue works well too.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Phantom, have you seen Groar's Uglyback? It keeps a sedan's trunk functional, but I'd like to see a hinged extension on that...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 08-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Aero I was using the out side edge to line up I see where the template is not perfect at the bottom but I think that is from the picture not being level. I was mostly using it for a reference and to get opinions on what angle to take it at as I will have to later figure out what real world curve that will be.

I will start with card board and then move to colorplast. Weather thanks for the hot glue tip although I do not know how that would hold up to cold but I might do that for testing. If I get really ambitious I might eventually try to make a fiber glass version but that probably will not happen.

Piwoslaw I have seen the uglyback that is about what I am aiming for function wise.

The Kammback will be more of an upper spoiler and have some of the shading effect of a louver. Some of my requirements are to have a fully accessible trunk, keep 95% of the rear visibility, and keep it looking semi-stock. The last two requirements is why I referenced your thread Piwoslaw.

I guess my next step is to figure out the angle of the rear glass to the angle of the kamm so I can make a triangle to use for setting the final angle. Then start fitting the cardboard to the curve of the glass.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Reply  Post New Thread