EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   LRR Winter Tires (14", specifically) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/lrr-winter-tires-14-specifically-30408.html)

Sven7 11-05-2014 08:41 AM

LRR Winter Tires (14", specifically)

I sold my winter tires(15" Blizzaks)/wheels and my spare wheels in preparation for selling my car, then decided to keep my car and fell into a set of 14" VW "teardrop" wheels for a song. Now, it's time to find some snow tires to keep me on the road, should I drive this winter. Size is 185/60/14 for a Civic EG.

I had previously been considering Firestone Winterforce tires since they are cheap and have good reviews.

Tire Rack - Firestone Winterforce

However, while browsing I clicked the LRR tag for giggles and this popped up. For the same exact price, Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c.

Tire Rack - Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c

I see good reviews on the Yokohamas as well, and am running Yokohama (Avid Ascend) LRR tires in the summer too. Does anyone have info or personal experience with these? Does "LRR" actually mean anything with winter tires?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

NeilBlanchard 11-05-2014 09:58 AM

I would try for Michelin X-Ice (3's?) or Nokian Hakka R2's. The X-Ices are probably available at TireRack, and the Nokians are the LRR kings (in all likelihood).

CAPTAIN CHAOS 11-05-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 453560)
I would try for Michelin X-Ice (3's?) or Nokian Hakka R2's. The X-Ices are probably available at TireRack, and the Nokians are the LRR kings (in all likelihood).

I had a set of the X-Ice on my Saturn for 2 winters and I can say with utter confidence that they are absolutely useless for actually getting through snow/ice. Seriously, my all-seasons perform better when that wretched white stuff starts flying.
They were quiet, smooth and surprisingly responsive in typical Fall conditions, and I noticed no drop in mpg's while running them, but they were just terrible in anything other than packed snow. Loose stuff, deep drifts, ice, sleet, mixed winter crap; they were downright awful. Last winter I actually pulled them off and ran my all-season tires because I was so fed up with them. :(

I tend to be a Michelin tire fan but those were EASILY the biggest tire letdown I've ever had. The Blizzaks I ran before that were several orders of magnitude better at actually being SNOW tires.:thumbup:

Sven7 11-05-2014 01:31 PM

You'll notice that the Michelins are also $150 more expensive per set! It may be useful information for others peeking in on the thread. However...

Regardless of the quality of the tire, the Firestones still have good reviews, so the hard truth is I'm not going to pay that much more for more seasonal tires on a car I barely drive. :turtle:

NeilBlanchard 11-05-2014 02:00 PM

I had a set of X-Ice 1st gen and they were excellent winter tires, and they rolled very well, indeed. Mine were 15", if that matters. They lasted about 5 (or 6?) winters, so they were a great value, in my opinion.

The Nokians are not cheap, either. I have them now, and they are even better than the X-Ices.

dirtydave 11-05-2014 03:52 PM

Why do you even need snow tires? Just slow down? no? You are much further north then me but I've never had problems driving on snow with normal tires.

bhazard 11-05-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 453636)
Why do you even need snow tires? Just slow down? no? You are much further north then me but I've never had problems driving on snow with normal tires.

You've obviously never experienced the improvement they give. And you obviously have never experienced a "real" winter.

Sven7 11-05-2014 04:41 PM

I'm planning on going to this, and I value my safety. I know how to drive properly but appreciate shorter stopping distances and quicker handling, especially when the SUV's are skating.

hondaguy72 11-05-2014 06:23 PM

I love my champiro ice pros from discounttire. 185/70/14 size. Cheap, do awesome in the white stuff, some noise but can be run to 44psi max. Going from my sticky summer tires potenza re11a was a significant improvement in rolling resistance.

Studdable too!

ksa8907 11-05-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CHAOS (Post 453587)
I had a set of the X-Ice on my Saturn for 2 winters and I can say with utter confidence that they are absolutely useless for actually getting through snow/ice. Seriously, my all-seasons perform better when that wretched white stuff starts flying.
They were quiet, smooth and surprisingly responsive in typical Fall conditions, and I noticed no drop in mpg's while running them, but they were just terrible in anything other than packed snow. Loose stuff, deep drifts, ice, sleet, mixed winter crap; they were downright awful. Last winter I actually pulled them off and ran my all-season tires because I was so fed up with them. :(

I tend to be a Michelin tire fan but those were EASILY the biggest tire letdown I\'ve ever had. The Blizzaks I ran before that were several orders of magnitude better at actually being SNOW tires.:thumbup:

Thank you for this. I have been trying to decide between the michelin x-ice and the general altimax arctic.

To speak on "real winter", if the majority of your major streets are clear within 8 hours of snow stopping, you don\'t know winter driving.