EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Lurker Checking In (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/lurker-checking-7369.html)

jime57 03-05-2009 02:39 AM

Lurker Checking In

Hi all,
I'm a hypermiler from over on the CleanMPG site, but I love all the modding stuff here. I currently have a Toyota Echo tricked up with some mild aero mods(grill blocks, fender skirts, underbelly), and sporting a ScanGaugeII. I'm an engineer by training so I really enjoy all the discussion of mods. Have built, developed, tested and raced sports cars for many of my 71 years. Still doing it! Currently own/race a spec. Miata an Washington D.C. SCCA racing. When not racing I'm traveling the U.S. by motorhome. Great site.

cfg83 03-05-2009 02:47 AM

jimepting -

Welcome to EM! Love to see pictures of the "Echo-Ecomods".

CarloSW2

jime57 03-05-2009 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 91018)
jimepting -

Welcome to EM! Love to see pictures of the "Echo-Ecomods".

CarloSW2

I'd post pictures if I could figure out how to do it:confused:

TestDrive 03-05-2009 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimepting (Post 91019)
I'd post pictures if I could figure out how to do it:confused:

At what point are you stuck?
Do you have a digital camera or are you starting from conventional film?

jime57 03-05-2009 10:59 AM

I have a digital camera and digital files on the computer. Just haven't given it much thought. I think I see how to attach the pictures to a full reply type msg. I'll give it a try when I get a few minutes spare time.

Daox 03-05-2009 12:05 PM

Welcome to the site. The echo is a great little car! What kind of mileage are you getting in it?

MetroMPG 03-05-2009 12:31 PM

Glad to have another engineer sign up. Welcome to the forum!

jime57 03-05-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 91077)
Welcome to the site. The echo is a great little car! What kind of mileage are you getting in it?

You're right, it is a great little car. I bought the AT Echo when our 4 cylinder Metro wore out. You'll note the aero improvements and the SGII from above. I have to have the AT street car because wifey has lots of arthritis in her hands and though experienced with MT, can't really operate one comfortably.

I get up to 68 MPG when I work really work hard at "granny" driving, and do a bit of coasting and pulse and glide. And yes, I'm shutting the engine down some on downhills and approaching lights. (Yes, I know I'm not supposed to coast engine off, but the Toyota owners manual gives me a little relief, and I take it. So far no problem with the level I'm using.) My usual highway goal is 50-51 MPG and I do hit that. With a fair amount of mixed driving, I get down to 42-43 MPG.

I'm trying to prepare a post, with pictures, of the rear underbelly cover that I constructed. After studying the underside of the car, I decided that the area behind the rear axel was the true disaster on the underside. Hope to post in aerodynamics section soon.

Great site! I have been lurking for a while and hope to make some worthwhile contributions.