EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Was lurking, now registered... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/lurking-now-registered-2147.html)

pbryantr 05-03-2008 11:13 PM

Was lurking, now registered...

Hello there,
What a fascinating site. I find myself lurking around these parts every now and then, and just decided to up and register.

A little about myself and my car:
I work as a state government drone and have a 45-48 mile round-trip commute daily. That wouldn't be a problem for most people, but I drive a 1980 Volvo 245. I am a big believer in keeping older cars on the road and finding/developing ways to make them last longer and become more efficient.

The 245 has terrible gas mileage, which, in large part, is likely caused by the archaic three-speed automatic. I usually drive a car with a manual trans, but my wife can't drive a stick. (Believe me, I've tried to teach her...)

I've looked through your pages for ideas on how to make my car more fuel-efficient. I will get around to making the mods as soon as I can find some materials.

I have been following the instrumentation thread with much interest. A ScanGauge won't work with my car because it is pre-OBD. I've looked up and down the internet and then pretty much given up until I found the thread about OS instrumentation, so I'm following that one.

Efficiently yours,

Bryant

SVOboy 05-03-2008 11:20 PM

Welcome to ecomodder! What kinda mileage are you getting thus far?

pbryantr 05-03-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 23252)
Welcome to ecomodder! What kinda mileage are you getting thus far?

Thank you.

My average mileage is about 18mpg. I can't seem to break 300 miles on a tank.

I plan to look into a grill block, taller air dam, rear wheel spats, lowering springs and some type of underbelly tray. I also plan to upgrade the three speed auto to a four speed overdrive auto, and then swap in a lower rear drive.

I also just read the C/D Pinto article. Great ideas for a first time ecomodder.

Regards,
Bryant

DifferentPointofView 05-04-2008 12:53 AM

I'll think that the swap to the 4 speed with a lower rear gear will reap the most benefits. 3 speeds are a killer.

Welcome to EM!

Nerys 05-04-2008 12:57 AM

Wow just going with the 4speed OD should make huge differences :-) If funds are not "as" much an issue the possibility of a Diesel engine swap might be doable (I thought Volvo's had Diesels?? ie was your model ever available as diesel?)

Just looked up some pictures. Thats a neat looking car. Are they all wagons? you shoulld benefit from the Civic guys Kammaback article too!

pbryantr 05-04-2008 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerys (Post 23284)
If funds are not "as" much an issue the possibility of a Diesel engine swap might be doable (I thought Volvo's had Diesels?? ie was your model ever available as diesel?)

Hello, Nerys: Yes Volvos did come with diesel motors. (My 245 has a 2.1 liter 4 cylinder gas motor). The diesel motors are 6 cylinder VW IDI motors (Same type as the 1.6 4-cylinders in old Rabbits and Jettas and the 2.0 5-cylinders in Audis).

Funny you should mention that as I have a 1980 Diesel wagon in my driveway. It doesn't run and needs a lot of work to be brought back to life. The PO caused the engine to lose coolant and it will cost a lot to rebuild it. (I bought it from the previous owner for a song.) I am contemplating keeping it or getting rid of it. Haven't decided yet.

Regards,
Bryant