EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Luxury car hypermiler... Olds Aurora? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/luxury-car-hypermiler-olds-aurora-7174.html)

jpgmtech 02-19-2009 03:28 PM

Luxury car hypermiler... Olds Aurora?

Just throwing around an idea. I can get an first generation Olds Aurora with a dead engine for cheap. Car has a drag co of 0.32 and the body looks like it would integrate further aero mods very well. A 3800 powertrain can be transplanted in place of the northstar v8 and big heavy 4t80e trans (the buick riviera was the same platform, with 3800 driveline)

My primary driving is highway, and long trips to get anywhere. I'm thinking both comfort and passanger carrying ability. Would like to go wild with aeromodding to stretch the mileage.

Thoughts?

Daox 02-19-2009 03:35 PM

I can very easily think of 10+ cars that would be a way better choice, and can be had for cheap.

jpgmtech 02-19-2009 03:42 PM

I should qualify my choice a little more...

Needs to be a General Motors product for the simple reason of parts and serviceability. I'm in a small town with the big 3 auto dealers (I work for the GM one). I've tried owning toyotas before... big pain out here to repair/service.

And I am thinking full-sized luxury car here, which does break the mold for the average hypermiler I know, but comfort is a big factor (for me) on 7+ hour trips...even 1.5 hr trips for that matter.

brucey 02-19-2009 04:22 PM

I think it could be fun! Just make sure that a swap would be easy, but you could probably eek out a lot of range from one of those. a 20 Gal tank and average 30 mpg (not even trying) is 600 miles...

I had a V8 Lincoln that regularly would get 29 on the highway. And that was driving like an 18 year old.

jpgmtech 02-19-2009 04:31 PM

I know an Aurora owner who was able to get 7.0 l/100kms out of one totally stock, driving 55-60mph on a long highway trip. And he is one of the few people I can reasonably trust for accurate FE numbers...

taco 02-19-2009 05:05 PM

i dont thikn a olds and luxury should go together.

TimJFowler 02-19-2009 05:28 PM

Since I know nothing about GM car parts interchangeability :) ... can you swap in a manual transmission and a diesel?

What motors and transmissions are on the 'easy' direct bolt-in swap list?

What is on the "it'll fit but it requires fabrication and modification" list?

Since the existing aerodynamics are decent and you can buy the chassis for cheap this could be a great test platform for building a super efficient highway cruiser. Good luck, this sounds like an interesting project.

Tim

jpgmtech 02-19-2009 05:40 PM

3800 V6 powertrain is the most direct bolt-in as it was available in the Aurora's cousin, the Buick Riviera. There will be some electrical work to do, but relatively minor.

Virtually any GM FWD powertrain could be made to work if one was determined enough...

Now to look for a wrecked donor 1996+ Buick Riviera...

TimJFowler 02-19-2009 05:47 PM

I was just wondering if a lighter/more efficient drivetrain combo can be bolted in.

If you do enough aerodynamic and weight reduction work (maybe not as extreme as the aerocivic) a 3.8 liter V6 could be overkill. Also a manual transmission should? be lighter and more efficient than an automatic.

Just brainstorming on your project. :)

jpgmtech 02-19-2009 06:33 PM

I had thought about swapping in a 2.2 w/5speed from a cavalier into a full-body GM car a few years ago... quite a bit more work involved than a 3800 swap.

Good to brainstorm though!

cfg83 02-19-2009 07:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
jpgmtech -

I liked the Aurora's design when it first came out. Very close to the concept version. Are you thinking first generation ...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1235150619
Curb weight 3,967 lb (1,799 kg)

... or second generation? ...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1235150619
Curb weight 3,627 lb (1,645 kg)

The second gen will save you 300 lbs, but I have a hunch you are quoting the .Cd of the first gen. In either case, those are pretty heavy cars.

CarloSW2

jpgmtech 02-19-2009 08:22 PM

Yah, I was thinking first-gen.

Weight difference is likely mostly in powertrain - second gen came with V6/4T60e powertrain in the base models. The first gen only had the V8/4T80e powertrain (very heavy!)

gascort 02-19-2009 08:51 PM

I saw one the other day and thought about how aero it looked...
Good idea to swap the powertrain; the northstars in those were AWFUL and every tiny part will break the bank due to rarity.

I do agree with Daox, however, other cars will be easier and/or cheaper.

My wife's intrigue is similar in size/comfort/aero and already has the 3.8.

gascort 02-19-2009 08:53 PM

Good idea to swap the powertrain; the northstars in those were AWFUL and every tiny part will break the bank due to rarity.

Frank Lee 02-19-2009 11:18 PM

Well yah for ultimate fe this isn't gonna do it.

But I like the project; the cars look great and the 3800 is a very efficient and powerful package. Too bad there isn't a 5-speed that would slide right in there. Man, if it isn't too much extra work, that's the way I'd go.

jpgmtech 02-19-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gascort (Post 88648)

I forgot about the intrigue...

Honestly this Aurora has been sitting behind the dealership snowed in and stuck in the ice for months. I couldn't help but think that the body spent at least a little time in the wind tunnel.

No, ultimate FE would not be the goal, but excellent FE for 3500lb+ sedan with all the bells and whistles would be.

My thinking is that the OEM's could have built much more efficient cars with more thought to aero and still have retained considerable passenger comfort and convenience.

I would like to make a project out of this just to prove the point... cost for me would be minimal, but it would take time...

jpgmtech 02-19-2009 11:55 PM

BTW, 3800 V6 w/4T60e transmission would constitute a considerable weight-loss for this car. The 4T60e came with a tall final-drive on some of the 3800's, running the engine around 1600rpm at 60mph (and a variable-displacement oil pump I might add, minimizing it's parasitic loss). The 3800 did have the torque to pull that. I could gear it even more aggressively in the future, slowing the motor down to around 1200rpm's. The 3800's parameters are readily available for engine simulation software, a custom ground camshaft, higher compression, etc relatively easy to do. I also do custom ECM programming - timing advance, shift-points, EGR, etc. are all fully configurable for me.

I'm not sure how much more weight could be removed (besides the powertrain transplant) but I'm sure something could be done.

There are a few manual transmissions that would somewhat bolt-in, but would require custom half-shafts and a couple of rethought transmisison mounts.

Where I would really need the help is planning and fabricating the aero mods.

almightybmw 02-20-2009 02:49 AM

Over on clubgp.com someone removed the 4T60e and installed a manual fwd transmission. I can't remember which, as it was a year+ ago I read about it. My opinion? he did it not for FE but for power handling and uniqueness. stick with the 4T60e, it works well.

If you can get the body for cheap and the drivetrain for cheap, I'd say go for it. I can get 35mpg with my Grand Prix with 5 people. I have the 3.1 with the weaker and slightly lighter auto. I've thought of swapping to the 3.8 just for the extra tq, but decided it only benefits me in town and at lower speeds. At interstate speeds the 3.1 works just as well and consumes less fuel than the 3.8.

I'd bet you could find a complete car that could do just as well without the mechanical work involved to get running. Maybe even something newer. I'd personally hold out, as the Aurora just isn't "good enough" in my book.

Price is right, any project can be a good project....

jpgmtech 02-20-2009 10:18 AM

Good thoughts... I have to take a look at the olds intrigue again, it's a W-car like the grand prix, slightly smaller than the Aurora but still quite comfortable. And there is alot more W-cars around the auto wreckers than the Aurora.

doax, you mentioned you could think of several cars that would be a better choice. I'm open to ideas - any the fit the bill? Larger, well-equipped, and GM products?

The grand prix did roll through my mind as well - but i thought that the Aurora was a better starting point aerodynamically. I could be corrected on that though.

MazdaMatt 02-20-2009 10:41 AM

goal is cheap, FE and comfort? has to be GM... as a previous olds ninety-eight owner with the 3.8L engine, i can tell you you will not get good FE... i use literally half the gas in my mazda protege5 which has wonderful seats for the 6-7 hour trips to my parent's place. No sag-seat back-aches that you get from big cushiony seats (which are great for short trips).

If you want GM, eco and comfort you don't NEED a big car. Get a medium/small car with a 2L 4cyl and buy aftermarket comfy seats - they would be better than ANY OE seats.

jpgmtech 02-20-2009 11:17 AM

I've found seats to be a very subjective topic - what one person loves another person hates... best one's I've ever had long-trip were in a 2000 Buick Lesabre, and they definitely fit the description of well-cushioned. I have a 2007 Grand-Prix has excellent seats for sport-driving, but they don't let me move around at all. That restricts my comfort level significantly on long trips. The same held true of the Toyota Celica AWD Turbo that I owned - excellent seats for thier purpose but just not good for me on a long trip.

BTW, that Buick returned a best of 6.6l/100kms on a warm-day, overinflated tire trip to BC, 60mph average. It was typically around 7.0 on highway trips and it had a 3800.

hypermiler01 02-20-2009 12:07 PM

I got a Lexus IS300 seat for my Geo Metro. 50+ mpg with Lexus comfort! :D

jpgmtech 02-20-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypermiler01 (Post 88732)
I got a Lexus IS300 seat for my Geo Metro. 50+ mpg with Lexus comfort! :D

That's cool! I like that idea...

Had a Chevy Sprint once, rigged with kill-switch and all... but I felt beat-up after driving it for an hour. A little sound-dampening and a high-grade seat... maybe less work than an Aurora project...

I still like the idea of taking a good size car and seeing what could be done.

Big Dave 02-20-2009 08:32 PM

I think it is a project with merit, and I think 35 should be easy. I used to have a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (supercharged 3.8 and I think it has the 4T80. If I kept my foot out of it, I could nurse 30 out of it on the same circuit I now drive and didn't hypermile at all.

I always thought the Aurora (or Buick Riviera) had great aero potential. Being front drive, a belly pan should be easy. I alwayswished those cars came with a stick.

Unforgiven 02-23-2009 04:10 PM

Interesting idea on installing the v-6 into the Aurora. I know the later years had a 3.5L v-6 option but most came out with the v-8. For what its worth, the 3.4L v-6 in my 2004 Impala can do a good highway run of 37 mpg. Now to just spend time at home so I can drive it and get the fuel economy numbers up again!!!!

Have thought about installing a manual, but the installation would be a nightmare with all the cutting and fabrication that would have to be done. Tinkered with the idea of one of the new 6sp autos GM came out with for the Saturn line and now have in the Pontiac G6 vehicle... but again, fabrication of adapter plate and the electronics of it make me pause. As well as the top gear ratio is actually .74 instead of what I have now .70

randerson0248 02-26-2009 12:47 PM

Back in 1997 I drove a 96 Olds 88 with 3.8; on highway at 85 mph got 28.5 mpg on the tank.

Next trip a week later was at steady 90 mph at 29 mpg for the tank.

This was all totally flat highway. Zero city.

jpgmtech 02-26-2009 12:54 PM

That's pretty good FE for bookin' it like that...

I never go more than 70 mph...;)

Frank Lee 02-26-2009 12:57 PM

The question is, did he make it there on time??? :eek:

1337 02-27-2009 01:29 AM

I agree 100% with MazdaMatt. I regularly hop in my Protege and drive 8 hours straight on the highway, usually with one fuel stop and one pit stop. I'm always completely comfortable at the end of the trip, and I feel like I could go an other 8 hours. I'm averaging about 33mpg in the winter, though I think I could use a new air filter and some new spark plugs.

As far as room, I did a road trip with 4 friends and their luggage, no problem. Proteges also depreciate quickly compared to Honda and Toyota competitors, so you can snag one cheap.

I wish I could think of a way to make the Aurora into a 30+mpg car, but I wouldn't bet my hard earned dollars on it.

Intrigued 02-28-2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randerson0248 (Post 89801)
Next trip a week later was at steady 90 mph at 29 mpg for the tank.

Huh. In CA they all drive that speed... until those cars with the lights on top show up. You'd actually have to TRY to not get some help drafting in the parts of the state I have been in. ;)

My Intrigue has the 3.5 quad cam engine, and after a little work on it I'm thinking I'm back to a 30+ mpg tank, about 1/3 city miles. Part of that may be due to winter-to-summer gas transitions, though... :confused:

Anyway, it sure is one comfortable car for the hour-plus trip to Springfield once a week to the university! :thumbup:

...and as tall geared as it is, it probably doesn't get to it's most efficient rpm until 90 mph!!! :eek: