EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Makes you cringe huh? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/makes-you-cringe-huh-24645.html)

HydroJim 01-15-2013 08:54 PM

Makes you cringe huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GamHzI8V41M

t vago 01-15-2013 09:07 PM

:rolleyes: I'll bet that it just gets great gas mileage...

HydroJim 01-16-2013 01:21 PM

I guess if one could afford the car, one is probably not too worried about the price of gas.

t vago 01-16-2013 01:44 PM

If one could afford to throw away that kind of money, you mean.

I mean, really - is it that much of a pain to sit in a coldish car for a few minutes, and let it warm up as you drive it down the road? Is it really too much to ask people to brush the snow off their own damned windows, rather than melt it off using wasted gasoline?

Oh, I just noticed - It's a Buick - made by Government Motors.

razor02097 01-16-2013 01:54 PM

Some cars do not warm up in a few minutes. My tracker takes almost 8 minutes of driving before there is any appreciable heat coming from the vents. I have to carry a towel in the car because defrost only works once the heater core gets warm.

Also when one has a small baby remote start is a great tool to have. I will bear the cold for how ever long but no reason to let a baby bear it too. There are only so many blankets you can wrap a child in and still buckle a car seat in securely.

Don't get me wrong... just like with most technology there is a great purpose but more often than not it is abused and it becomes wasteful.

mcrews 01-16-2013 01:56 PM

I saw this commercial. I was more taken by the whole "my phone can do anything!"

HydroJim 01-16-2013 01:57 PM

I believe babies are actually more capable of dealing with extreme cold than full grown humans.

t vago 01-16-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 351499)
I saw this commercial. I was more taken by the whole "my phone can do anything!"

One the one hand, people want their spiffy smartphones to do anything, like unlock and start their cars. On the other hand, these spiffy smartphones can easily be stolen. Yah, convenience is just great, isn't it?

razor02097 01-16-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydroJim (Post 351501)
I believe babies are actually more capable of dealing with extreme cold than full grown humans.

Do you have a kid? I'm not trying to butt heads or say you're wrong but honestly I couldn't take my kid out in a frigid car just to save a little bit of fuel and feel okay about it.

t vago 01-16-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor02097 (Post 351508)
Do you have a kid? I'm not trying to butt heads or say you're wrong but honestly I couldn't take my kid out in a frigid car just to save a little bit of fuel and feel okay about it.

I dunno... my two boys appear to not have been affected too much by cold. Then again, it doesn't get all that cold here in Ohio, where a cold snap is charitably defined as temperatures below 20 F.

Now, where I grew up, in Fairbanks, AK... that's a different matter. Only a fool would set their kid in a cold car at 40 below.

HydroJim 01-16-2013 02:28 PM

I'm only 16 so no kid.

My information came from the story of Jim and Jennifer Stolpa and their 5 month old baby, Clayton. They survived a week in the cold wilderness. the only reason the baby survived was do to a special ability that babies have to maintain their internal body temperature. it's a survival mechanism left over from our ancestral days here on earth.

razor02097 01-16-2013 03:36 PM

That is good to know if ever extenuating circumstances happen

HydroJim 01-16-2013 03:44 PM

For some reason, I have a propensity to memorize random facts. They come in handy quite often though :thumbup:

niky 01-16-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Given an unprotected baby can die of hypothermia at just 20 degrees Celsius (about 68 degrees F), no. (One such case happened here, recently)

Yes, the chances of revival after flash-freezing are better than for an adult, but since babies have less mass per surface area, they start suffering from cold a lot sooner than we do. Even in mildly cool weather, a baby's fingers and toes will start getting painfully cold long before you or I would even notice it.

That "survival" mechanism is the baby entering the third stage of hypothermia more easily than adults, which slows down the metabolism. But actually relying on that to keep a baby alive is like relying on your ability to vomit out poisonous food every time you accidentally eat a toadstool in the wilderness. Nice to have, but don't push your luck.

-

That said, that's still an egregious waste of gas. From just before landing to debarkation to claiming your luggage to actually checking out of the airport, you're lucky if you can make it out in under twenty minutes.

freebeard 01-18-2013 04:20 AM

I'd be looking closely at who Buick partners with to provide system security in that app.

You might get off the shuttle bus to find a snow-free empty parking space.

shovel 01-18-2013 12:41 PM

I'm not bothered by this at all, it's just the future happening and it will run its course. The worst thing that could possibly happen is for nothing to change and nothing to make any progress.

As for adding these features to your own car, Crimestopper makes something like that. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the company GM contracted with for this feature since their infrastructure and wireless contracts and such are already in place.

MTXA 01-18-2013 01:57 PM

Nothing like a TSA strip search in a cold airport because you were using your cellphone on a landing approach. At least he probably has heated seats to warm his kiester back up.

t vago 01-18-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 351838)
You might get off the shuttle bus to find a snow-free empty parking space.

LOL! At least the Buick would be nice and toasty warm!

MetroMPG 01-28-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor02097 (Post 351498)
Also when one has a small baby remote start is a great tool to have.

An electric block/coolant heater plus a hair dryer or space heater in the cabin is arguably better, provided you have a place to plug in.

MetroMPG 01-28-2013 12:25 PM

Oh, and yes, cringeworthy!

Saskwatchian 01-28-2013 08:08 PM

Remote starters have their place. -10˚F windchill isn't particularly cold, and when it is really cold some vehicles really should warm up a bit before they move.

My big problem with remote starters is when you really want to use them (-40˚) the vehicle probably won't start anyway without a bit of finesse.

If it's only -20˚C the vehicle will probably be drivable by the time you scrape all your windows.

bhtooefr 01-29-2013 08:13 AM

I wish that systems like the Webasto and Eberspacher/Espar fuel-fired coolant heaters were more common (and lower cost, because $1500 ain't cheap) here in North America.

MUCH less fuel usage than idling the engine, zero engine wear, and they even circulate the coolant and heat the interior in some configurations.

freebeard 01-29-2013 05:05 PM

I've got an Eberspacher out of a 1957 Beetle (minus the lines and fitting on the gas tank). It's hard to get anyone to work on them—liability issues. Want it?

I may still have a Borg-Warner underdash unit for the Type II.

They don't move at swap meets very well.

Edit: Oops. Space heaters, not coolant heaters.

bhtooefr 01-29-2013 05:06 PM

Unfortunately, wrong fuel type for me.

(And, the ones from back then were the ones that got fuel-fired heaters a bad reputation, I thought.)

Oh, and yes, I was talking about coolant heat, not space heat.

UFO 01-29-2013 05:30 PM

It's soo difficult to use a block heater. More effective: easier starting, instant heat, more efficient fuel use.

Tesla 02-10-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Way behind in the sequence,
But you are right, it's all about Brown Adipose Tissue (BAT) or brown fat, plays a major role in thermo regulation, infants and children have heaps and you lose it as you get older, probably more due to attrition (use it or lose it) because we always keep ourselves wrapped up in centrally heated houses and remote start vehicles.